PDA

View Full Version : Ex Irish P20 class delivered to the Libyan Navy

pilatus
19th May 2018, 14:03
I noticed this on social media, one the P20's was delivered to the Libyan Navy in Benghazi recently. I hadn't heard about it anywhere else.
She is bearing the name "Alkarama". They are calling the ship a frigate.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi6xVQLH9x8/

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Rhodes
19th May 2018, 14:24
According to Marine Traffic, it's ex-LE Aisling P23.

restless
19th May 2018, 21:42
Was it gifted or sold? and i wonder how engine cooling will cope with the constant higher water temperature

Herald
19th May 2018, 22:44
It was sold to a Dutch broker, then advertised for sale with plans to turn it into a Super yacht.

Seems the Dutch guy sold it to the Hafter faction. He seems to have control of whats left of their Navy, which begs the question what happened to the Soviet era Subs, Corvettes and mine sweepers they had?

Don't see any guns or indeed any armaments on board the "frigate".

I see LE Aishlings wiki has been updated, she's now the Libyan Flagship.

What illustrious ends for the P20's ............................

Sparky42
19th May 2018, 23:00
Was it gifted or sold? and i wonder how engine cooling will cope with the constant higher water temperature

Did the one we gave to Malta need any modifications?

na grohmiti
20th May 2018, 00:54
It was sold to a Dutch broker, then advertised for sale with plans to turn it into a Super yacht.

Seems the Dutch guy sold it to the Hafter faction. He seems to have control of whats left of their Navy, which begs the question what happened to the Soviet era Subs, Corvettes and mine sweepers they had?

Don't see any guns or indeed any armaments on board the "frigate".

I see LE Aishlings wiki has been updated, she's now the Libyan Flagship.

What illustrious ends for the P20's ............................

Most of their Naval bases suffered heavy air strikes from Allied forces in 2011. Coincidentally, part of the Op Sophia mission is to train the Navy and Coast guard.

hptmurphy
20th May 2018, 19:04
Oh! the irony!

https://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-ships.asp

na grohmiti
20th May 2018, 19:49
Wow! We are IN the top 100!

Sparky42
20th May 2018, 20:45

When did we add a few 100K, cause last time I looked we hadn't hit 5m?

Orion
20th May 2018, 20:45

Does that qualify for a bye into the final round of WW3?

Flamingo
20th May 2018, 21:11
We are right up there with the big boys when it comes to external debt - $2 470 000 000 000. Lower than US, Uk, France, Netherlands and Japan - higher than everybody else.

pilatus
21st May 2018, 10:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=269&v=v6SZfyRc_ww

Video of the handover ceremony.

hptmurphy
21st May 2018, 13:05
Delivered very empty it would appear given her marks in the water. It'll be interesting to see what weapons will be fitted.

GoneToTheCanner
21st May 2018, 16:17
Given the proliferation of Russian weapons, it could be a mix of Zu 23s and Dshka's and a few sundry SA-7 and RPG-7s.

sofa
21st May 2018, 20:14
Delivered very empty it would appear given her marks in the water. It'll be interesting to see what weapons will be fitted.

May just strap a Toyota Hilux (special edition) to the front

ancientmariner
22nd May 2018, 18:54

Given that the distance from Netherlands to Benghazi Libya is about 3500 nm or at least 12 days at sea burning fuel and using water, she would be running a little light. Mostly depends on speed, I'm guessing 12 knots for economy. She is probably also awaiting stores and armament and CREW.

ancientmariner
23rd May 2018, 08:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=269&v=v6SZfyRc_ww

Video of the handover ceremony.

The NEW Libyan Naval Vessel has been announced by the Libyan Authorities as a return of a Libyan vessel from a seven year sojourn elsewhere. As it is definitely one of our P21 class it demonstrates the inability of Middle Eastern peoples to tell the plain truth on any matter without shame or embarrassment .

morpheus
23rd May 2018, 09:40
Fuxache

hptmurphy
23rd May 2018, 13:16
T
he NEW Libyan Naval Vessel has been announced by the Libyan Authorities as a return of a Libyan vessel from a seven year sojourn elsewhere. As it is definitely one of our P21 class it demonstrates the inability of Middle Eastern peoples to tell the plain truth on any matter without shame or embarrassment .

So its only been resting in our 'Naval Service' for that time.....:-D

morpheus
23rd May 2018, 15:24
Looks like the Iraqi information minister had an understudy!

Rhodes
23rd May 2018, 17:48
LÉ Aisling finds new lease of life with Libyan warlord

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/le-aisling-finds-new-lease-of-life-with-libyan-warlord-471019.html

na grohmiti
23rd May 2018, 18:10
They did send a ship off to be refitted, possibly to Malta. To this guys followers, a ship is a ship.

ancientmariner
13th December 2019, 08:17
LÉ Aisling finds new lease of life with Libyan warlord

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/le-aisling-finds-new-lease-of-life-with-libyan-warlord-471019.html

It was in the news again for contravention of a UN Disarmament protocol. it has been fitted with a 40mm gun + 2x2omm. Selling proven vessels on the open market ,which has ALWAYS been permeated by shady characters, leads to ships being passed from hand to hand . it happened with the break up of ISL, the Aircorps Helos, and two of our Naval Ships. Lack of National pride and a horse Fair mentality leaves us ripe for ridicule and made look like idiots by our civilian bosses.

na grohmiti
13th December 2019, 11:22
So what should we do to control their post service end use? I'm sure I am not alone here hoping to see a more honourable fate for L.E. Eithne when she inevitably retires from service.
Clearly selling the ship, or any asset, at public auction has failed us and looks bad for our international reputation.
Is it better to mothball the ship, and lay her up somewhere as a floating training room with occasional trips to sea, until her day comes to meet the cutting torch?
Because I would be very uncomfortable seeing the ship i watched go down the Verolme slip on a wet dark december day in 1983, end up rusting away as her new owners conversion plans fall by the wayside, or becoming the platform of some glorified foreign gangster.

Let's keep then until they are about to sink, anchor them behind haulbowline so they can be used by NMCI for classrooms, when it looks like they are about to sink, tow them to sea and sink them honourably, for divers to explore, like Isaalt or Muirchu.

ancientmariner
13th December 2019, 15:18
So what should we do to control their post service end use? I'm sure I am not alone here hoping to see a more honourable fate for L.E. Eithne when she inevitably retires from service.
Clearly selling the ship, or any asset, at public auction has failed us and looks bad for our international reputation.
Is it better to mothball the ship, and lay her up somewhere as a floating training room with occasional trips to sea, until her day comes to meet the cutting torch?
Because I would be very uncomfortable seeing the ship i watched go down the Verolme slip on a wet dark december day in 1983, end up rusting away as her new owners conversion plans fall by the wayside, or becoming the platform of some glorified foreign gangster.

Let's keep then until they are about to sink, anchor them behind haulbowline so they can be used by NMCI for classrooms, when it looks like they are about to sink, tow them to sea and sink them honourably, for divers to explore, like Isaalt or Muirchu.

If they are not usable within Defence control, then they should be sanitised of pollutants, such as oils or carcinogens , and used in a sinkex offshore as you suggest.

Flamingo
13th December 2019, 15:30
Would it be unfeasible to convert it to a floating accommodation block? After all, some facilities must already be in board.

na grohmiti
13th December 2019, 15:59
It is, but assuming you are going to connect to shore supply, you still need a staff aboard to ensure the other machinery is maintained, as well as having somewhere to park it. If rumours are true, space within the basin will be an issue in years to come

GoneToTheCanner
13th December 2019, 20:42
The problem with keeping vessels in service until they are on the verge of sinking is the Minister will then assume that your NS is happy with aging ships and will not renew them, in the fashion of decades of neglect of past Naval ships. As for selling them off, well, they got paid what the market dictated it was worth and the money is being used to fund Dail printers. Keeping old vessels for training means you fill up the limited space in the Base with scarcely usable ships like the old Setanta. As for who gets to use them afterwards, well, that's the way of the world. People are having a moan about one Irish ship that ends up in semi-dodgy hands. Well, so what. Compared to what the countries of Eastern Europe and Russia have dumped into Africa and Asia, one small ship is of no consequence whatsoever. Our friends in Europe will happily sell first-class weapons to anyone who comes calling with a big enough brown envelope, as can be seen in the war in Yemen. Quite frankly, Ireland's conscience is clean on this one.

DeV
13th December 2019, 21:16
If she was used as a dive site people imagine the solicitors rubbing their hands with glee for The claims

hptmurphy
14th December 2019, 01:03
Would it be unfeasible to convert it to a floating accommodation block? After all, some facilities must already be in board.

Crews won't live on existing vessels…..never mind ships converted to accom purposes

ancientmariner
14th December 2019, 10:08
Crews won't live on existing vessels…..never mind ships converted to accom purposes
I agree, for all the reasons mentioned, that it would be a bad idea from an accountancy and a manning point of view- fire, sanitation, space in dockyard, maintenance and running power, pumps etc. In the old days Black Prince was at its own pier in Ringaskiddy /Monkstown. We gave it all away and we just have one little island not big enough for it's future needs when the 2% budget comes home.

GoneToTheCanner
14th December 2019, 18:12
it also begs the question, why doesnt the NS have a base elsewhere? Even the Don had two!

na grohmiti
14th December 2019, 18:39
Does Rathmullan count?

ancientmariner
15th December 2019, 00:23
it also begs the question, why doesnt the NS have a base elsewhere? Even the Don had two!

There were a number of Naval ports in use in the early 20th century, including Killybegs, Bear island, Dunlaoghaire. We do need another Naval base with alongside berths, shore installations, fuel tanks, and acceptable accommodation. In any event a port of refuge is needed, if you have to reposition assets in a conflict or emergency situation. The Defence forces have never acquired a predictive outlook and plan for the inevitable. The relinquishing of Defence lands all over the country has painted us into a corner with the Curragh as the last Bastion for the Army, while the Navy are squeezed by loss of harbour property and an ongoing encroachment by the CHB.