Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Quiz

okay fisheads new quiz
    1. Please name the a/sea who survived the Castletownbere incident in 1989.
    2.Who succeeded Cmdre LS Moloney as FOCNS
    3.Who was the firsrt appointed Captain of naval engineering?
    4.name the first o/Cs of the former RN peacocks when they were commissioned into the N.S
    .5.Who wrote the book 'A history of The Irish naval service.?
    6.Who was OIC of the LE Deirdre at the time of the castle town bere incident in 1989?
    7.What was Cdr rory Costellos nickname ?
    8.name any two of the NS first cadets in 1946?
    9.Who was the NS youngest captians in charge and his vessel?
    !0. what famous authour seved as a W/O withg the maritime inscruiption during the emergency.?

Prize remains the same from the previous board as it remains unclaimed.

12 part Marshall cavendish history of the Falklands conflic( bound ) to the first publisher of all the correct answers by next Friday.All answers are decided by me.No disscussions are entered into unless you can prove that you served with any of the above and can dispute my interpretations.If in doubt...**** off.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

You would think that as you had no winners last time out you would make the new quiz easier?
    I am stumped on them..and I almost had all the answers to the old one too!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

think deep and buy the books the answers were published in the papers at the time .so current affaairs aren't your thing.you should have recorded the programme on the 50th aniversary of the NS in 1997.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I have that one..tho some fool did tape over a few minutes of it(about 15)..my own fault though..I should have broken the tabs on the tape and not got her in such an excited state that she pushed the record button with her foot accidentally..... :confused:

Ill dig it up..
        2. Brett's Oulfella..also Known as Brett..
        5. Aidan McIvor
        9. Martin Brett officially,tho it was Deirdre while she was being unnavalised in the Basin. I remember him from the RTC...Direct entrant I think,though he may have gone in as a cadet with his class 3 The Present OC of one of the Peacocks..a Bantry boy is an Lt Cdr at 33 tho Brett was the ships OC as an LT..

More to follow..soon..how am I doing?

Comment

number 9 is incorrect as Deirdre was dcommissioned. at the time so technically he was OC of the shore unit attached to Deidre while she was tied up along side.

One more chance.Hint it was in the early eighties and he was an Lt. and it was a sweeper.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but was the Castletownbere incident in 1989? Thanks.

Comment

To be fair to the man westie..why dont you have a go at the rest of the questions. I dont want to be flying solo here..surely someone knows the answers other than murf and me?
              I think you are right about that though....I thought it was sometime in the 90s....I'm going to go look for those books now..may wake the house in the process..but its annoying me now..

Comment

Sorry lads, but that post of mine omitted a vital word. Try it now:
                Excuse my ignorance but what was the Castletownbere incident in 1989? Thanks.
                I have no idea of any answers to that quiz, the Naval Service and Aer Corps being things ive had little contact with over the years. You're on your own Goldie, hang in there!

Comment

Re: new Quiz

Right..I went rooting..and woke the dog..who got a box landed on his head as a result to shut him up(sorry dog) so here are my attempts..

1. Please name the a/sea who survived the Castletownbere incident in 1989.
                  a. Paul Kellet..who Recieved the Spanish Cross of Naval Merit and went on to be the PRO of the Naval Association

2.Who succeeded Cmdre LS Moloney as FOCNS
                  a. W.J. Brett

3.Who was the firsrt appointed Captain of naval engineering?
                  a.

4.name the first o/Cs of the former RN peacocks when they were commissioned into the N.S
                  a.P42:Lt Cdr W.G.Donaldson,

5.Who wrote the book 'A history of The Irish naval service.?
                  a.Aidan McIvor

6.Who was OIC of the LE Deirdre at the time of the castle town bere incident in 1989?
                  a.Lt.Cdr Noel Goulding. 30 January 1990

7.What was Cdr rory Costellos nickname ?
                  a.Popeye

8.name any two of the NS first cadets in 1946?
                  a.H.L Henry,WA Murray,CJ Blundell,LS Moloney, JA Flanagan

9.Who was the NS youngest captians in charge and his vessel?
                  a.

10. what famous authour seved as a W/O withg the maritime inscruiption during the emergency.?
                  a.Norris Davidson
                  Almost there...More to follow..watch this space
                  Those that are left I probably need the book for tho...
                  Last edited by Goldie fish; 9 January 2003, 02:49.

Comment

doing well...Yes it was Norris davidson.

westie the year was january 30 1989.Tom Mc Ginties book gives it as 1990 but this is incorrect.it happened the same night as the MV gladiona ran aground in Tramore.I was the duty operations officer in charge on the evening and was responsible for the refueling of the dauphin that attended the later incident.I also new L/sea Mick Quinn personally as I had been known to have a few pints with him in the westbourne bar in cobh

Comment

Goldie you have given the wrong date for the castle town incident.You're out by a year.Should I dis qualify you.?( i told you Tom MaGinties book is incorrect!

Comment

Not saying you are wrong of course :D but...
                        (a) I got the info from an Cosantoir of that time
                        (b)Naval Institute website!!
                        The man in question..R.I.P

As they say ,judges decision is final...and I have no further input on the quiz....If I searched every cosantoir since 1986 i would probably come across the answer to the remainder..but it was a very boring magazine in ehr 80s and 90s..and I have a miserable enough life already.

BTW..Where is W/O Martin's(retd) bookshop?

Comment

Poeye was Cdr Eoin Mcnamara..Cdr Costello was The Rod.

Bob Gutherine was the first MES to hold the rank of captain.

Cdr Eugene Ryan was the youngest ships captain as a Lt he commanded the LE Grainne in about 1984.Think he was about 28.

Tom Touhy was the other captain of the Peacocks on acceptance.

Ok Mick Quinns death is not something to be squabbled over.I might be wrong.............no more quizzes

Comment

Naah..wouldnt have got any of them...did manage to get me to find my archives tho...I even Have the NS 40th annivesary An Cosantoir...
                            and the Air Corps counterparts..
                            Found a video from 1996 showing a dauphin Operating from Eithne..Not just landing..Operating! Being detailed a search area and all! So they were there in 96..but when was the last time one sat in the Hangar? This one was strapped to the helideck in some pretty choppy weather..

Comment

do you want some photos of the same taken in1986

Comment

Working...
                              X