reserve air corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserve air corps

Although the chances of this are unbelievably small, what do people think about the idea of using the sf 260s to form a reserve force or something akin to the university air squadrens that they have in britain. personally I would join any reserve/training air corps in a second. It would also save the air corps the hassle of having to train the pilots from scratch following their officer training as they`d already have basic flying skills and would have done all the ground school work.
    Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

i cant see the university thing ever happening!!
    And on the idea of an air corps reservre i doubt that will happen either, the air corps want it but either the department or government said there's no need. You'll pro ask how i know - when my COY went for helicopter trainning a year and a half ago thats what we were told by a Lt. Col when we asked! I think it would be a good idea as those in the army/naval reserve have experience when they join yet the air corps dont. I wonder though would they have spare air craft to train people on?
    If that helps?
    Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

The sf260s will be free from june-ish with the arrival of the pc-9.I doubt that the current cadets will be trained on the sf260s once the pc-9s turn up so rather than get rid of the sf260s they could be used tp train pre-cadet pilots

Comment

it all sound a bit mad to me..but good all the same!
        forming such a thing would take time and money.. the latter something the IAC are finding it hard to come by.:(

Comment

yeah I know. Its just wishful thinking on my part. I`m a bit of an airplane head and if things go to plan i`ll be flying those pc-9s ina few years and a reserve air corps of some ind would get me into the air sooner

Comment

hopefully for me aswell..

Comment

There is a brief mention of reserve pilots in the book 'Wings Over Ireland'.

IIRC, these pilots worked for Aer Lingus & were flying Cessnas as part of their annual training. Not much more was written about them in the book, but I'd say it's a safe bet that these guys were ex-AC.

As for university squadrons, there's no real need for them. If the AC wants reserve pilots it would make better sense to recruit the ex AC pilots now in civvy street. The Marchetti's should be sold as soon as possible & the money ploughed back into the AC.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by futurepilot
                yeah I know. Its just wishful thinking on my part. I`m a bit of an airplane head and if things go to plan i`ll be flying those pc-9s ina few years and a reserve air corps of some ind would get me into the air sooner
                Why not join a micolight club, its cheaper than the others, and you'll get in the air!
                Keep the speed up...!

Comment

whats a micolight club? mentioned in joey d`s post

Comment

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Its a good idea but I dont think it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah
                        whats a micolight club? mentioned in joey d`s post
                        A microlight (or ultalight) is an aeroplane having no more than two seats, Vso not exceeding 35knots (65Km/h) CAS, and a maximum take-off mass of no more than: 450kg for a two seater or 300k for a one seater.

It takes 40hours before you can sit the flight test for a microlight (as apposed to 45hrs with the other PPL) and they are cheaper per hour to fly as well. Also you can use 10% of your microlight hours towards a normal PPL.

Theres a microlight club in Galway, Sligo and I think one in Dublin, there might be a few more around.
                        Keep the speed up...!

Comment

Working...
                        X