Who is the IAC attached to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the IAC attached to

I was just reading older posts and wasn't quite clear on whether the IAC is a seperate military branch from the army or is it still attached in even a minor way to the army like the Army Air Corp in the UK with its Lynxs etc or somewhere in between.Many refernces are to its army co-operative role etc and some other posts refer to it not having a true seperate identity.Was it originally attached to the army like many countries did with their air forces at the start and then seperated.Was the IAC only seperated in the recent past and has still not established itself as a new branch?I'm curious about this since it is still an Air CORPS as opposed to an Air FORCE.I know the current aircraft available don't exactly constitute a force but even a name change brings some pride and a clearer identity with it.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

IRISH AIR FORCE

Hopefully they keep it at Air Corps to save some embarrassment when dealing with other Countries.

Comment

If they put the effort spent getting new uniforms in getting proper aircraft,they would be much better off. Since the introduction of air corps blue the Corps has steadily declined as a credible military air arm. At least when they wore green they had some military capability.
      Dressing up as an air force does not an airforce make.
      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

The Air Corps is one of three elements of the DF (Army, NS, AC), it is commanded by a Brigadier General (most of the AC ranks are the same as the army), therefore there are only two ranks above that Major General & Lieut General

Untill recently, the AC had a Army Maint Engr Coy & Sigs Coy attached with other personnel attached from time to time, eg MPs

However this has changed and these all these personnel are not officially AC personnel from a AC unit

Comment

Seperate branch then.Thanks.
          Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Hi Guys

I was always lead to believe the the Irish Military was realy one force as they all ultimately reported to an Army (Green) Defence Staff. Does this also mean that the NAval Service is a seperate entity? I've always thought that a 1 service doctorine was better than 3.

Comment

Both the NS & AC are seperate commands within the DF.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
              X