PDA

View Full Version : Aer Corps Museum

Stinger
31st March 2004, 15:30
I remember hearing a while back about the possible setting up of an Aer Corps Museum. Was wondering how far that idea got, where has it been set up and what aircraft they plan on having.

Turkey
20th June 2004, 10:52
The Museum has been set up , there was an article in An Cosantoir about it recently, but opening times and public access have yet to be decided.

DeV
24th June 2004, 01:37
Aircraft & Equipment on display in the Air Corps Museum:

Avro 19 (photography & various)
Provost (trainer)
Miles Magister No34 (trainer)
Chipmunk (trainer)
Fouga Magister (light strike, jet trainer, display team)
DH Vampire (jet fighter / trainer)
Merlin Spitfire engine
Replica of Wright Brothers' aircraft built by AC

ForkTailedDevil
24th June 2004, 19:57
I don't know if anyone cares about this place, but it is about to be closed http://www.ulsteraviationsociety.co.uk/ Does anybody have room for a Bucaneer?

faughanballagh
25th June 2004, 03:51
The Marchetti will probably appear there too once the PC-9's take over...

Stinger
1st July 2004, 17:55
What about the heli's when they are decommissioned? They definately deserve a place.

Farel'
2nd July 2004, 03:52
Who said anything about decomissioning? Those helicopters will be put beyond use :D

spider
8th July 2006, 19:29
Has anyone heard if this has been opened to the public yet ? Am I right in saying it is in Baldonnel ? Thanks.

FMolloy
11th July 2006, 11:06
It's in Baldonnel alright, dunno if it's open to the public though.

Silver
21st July 2006, 19:38
Pity the Museum is not given some funding by the govt and properly established, i.e. open to the public.

It would be a great tourist attraction.

The newly-updated Flying Boat Museum in Foynes is expected to put €6 million into the local economy - per year!

hptmurphy
21st July 2006, 23:09
There was another museum group with aer corps examples..couldn't even get local funding....why should any aviation museum get funding..if its nothing to do with the famine or the war of independance...nobody gives a flying fcuk!

I gave a long time working with this group..in my teens and twenties..it just was so neglected....the foynes museum is a joke..they haven't even got a real aeroplane....

when we are all dead and buried it will dawn on the relavent government that there was a heritage to be preserved..shit it has only taken about 800 years to sort out the skeligs..i rememeber knocking lumps of them with a rheinmetall for a former presidents pleasure a few years back@!

Slacker
22nd July 2006, 09:53
I remember seeing a PBY Catalina hull in Weston.....theere may be another museum project wanting the go there.

Tucco
24th July 2006, 15:25
Either way, it's still, always has been, AIR Corps, Ireland doesn't have an AER Corps.

I've been to the don museum, pretty good.

Was in Dromod in Leitrim recently at a railway museum, and there the guy has air Corps Provost 184.
The bits of a IAC Vampire.

Fuselage of a IAC Chipmunk.

707 cockpit and a DC 4 (or 7 can't remember) fuselage.

All sitting in the rain. :eek:

spider
24th July 2006, 16:10
Was here last week.... http://www.nms.ac.uk/flight/home/index.asp

Well worth a visit if you are in the Edinburgh area, cheap too.

Has a few types similar to those used by the Irish A.C.

Strangely lacking in helicopters, though the Phantom, Sea Harrier, Tornado etc more than make up for that.

hptmurphy
24th July 2006, 17:46
"707 cockpit and a DC 4 (or 7 can't remember) fuselage"

its a DC7c..formerly G-AOIE c/n41154....he I help move it to Waterford and reassemble it over a few years to complete Statrus. It had sit in the Fire dump in shannon since 1974.

The Provost..and a vampire were rescued from Baldonnle in 1986 and again transfered to Waterford

The Dove was privately owned

An the Boeing 720 fuselage was brought from Dublin by road.

The collection was owned under the auspices of the south east aviation enthusiasts..headed by a guy called George Harvey.It was satation at waterford airport until about 1996 and then was in New Ross and then was taken over by Philip Bedford...the majority of The DC7c was scrapped...and it all was moved to Lietrim.

a short history..I've got some photos of that era..might post them up some time.

GoneToTheCanner
24th July 2006, 23:46
Hi all
I visited the Dromod Museum, which goes under the title of the Cavan and Leitrim Railway Museum and is run by one Mr. Kennedy and his crew. Very,very entertaining tour by Mr. K and his sidekicks, with a fund of stories.Phil Bedford is the aircraft guru and Mr Kennedy the rail god.Well worth the effort to get there.Army lovers will like to see the 75mm, the 17-pdr( a huge gun, with a beast of a breech block), the 18-pdr and some 3.4 pack howitzers. Donate a few coppers as they are running on a finite supply of goodwill.
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
25th July 2006, 14:59
Actually Phil bedfords first passion is volkswagen camper vans..and buses....he only inherited his aircraft knowledge when he joined the South East Aviation group in about 1989..nice bloke.

The primary instigator of aircraft preservation who is rarely attributed with this recognition is a Mr. George Harvey..wh gave both of his health and family to save that collection of aircraft..with no assistance from any recognised body..he just gave his whole life over to the project while it was in Waterford...he was just never recognised..and there was no spirit of history in the restoration of anything in this country at the time.

There have been more historically reknowned aircraft lost from this country over the years becuse nobody in officaldom gave a shite!

I notice you have not posted anybody about some significant other vehicles and aircraft and aircraft parts that were part of this collection..wonder where they got to?

GoneToTheCanner
26th July 2006, 00:31
Hi HPT
I asked that very question during my visit to Dromod and was told that, whilst some of the larger stuff had been transferred to Dromod, the smaller artifacts remained in New Ross.I don't even know if GH is still alive or not.I visited the original Waterford display years ago and remember several items recovered from wartime crash sites, such as engines, propes,etc.I'd imagine that Phil has some of the smaller stuff in his care. Dromod is not really suitable for aircraft artifacts, in it's present state, but it's a start.
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
26th July 2006, 01:22
Yeah George is alive and well...I remember seeing most of the stuff in his house lol...very tolerant wife.The storage facility in New Ross is gone...so I wondered where some of the vehicles..the Morris 6 cwt artillery tractor..the morris Quad..the fire engines etc had been moved too..the afore mentioned are interesting..as even though the army used them ..there are no other know examples to exist in the republic....and just to be proved wrong i checked out the howth transport museuems website..and they have exeamples of both..wonder if they are the same!

http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/stocklist.html

GoneToTheCanner
26th July 2006, 02:51
Hi Murph
The Dromod lads told me that the Morris' were the ones you'd have seen at Howth.
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
26th July 2006, 16:54
That sorts that then..at least they have reained in the country...now what other national artifacts left the country that should have been saved..first that comes to mind is the the connie at wroughton science Museum that rested in Dublin for some years in the 70's and 80's..and removed without ahving to pay a cent...was donated after it had been impounded after failure to pay landing and aprking charges..what a waste.

fair play to elements of the AC for presrving certain items..and to elements of the Army ..but we need a more focused nationl..even private organisation to take on the task and make all these items available to the general public.

GoneToTheCanner
26th July 2006, 21:43
Hi HPT
The AC museum will open to the public when they can sort out casual civvie access, which they can't do right now because it's right in the centre of the aerodrome.Such a plan is under consideration but casual access won't happen right away. Apart from that, the artifacts of the old Museum at Castlemoate House, Dublin Airport are closed off and are not being looked after, except that they are under cover.There is no civil aviation museum, as such,apart from Foynes (which, although worthy in it's own right, is very,very specific) and you are right in asserting that one should be set up. Aer Lingus' history, and the history of other civil aviation is falling by the wayside, as a result.
regards
GttC

parkman
11th September 2006, 18:40
One of this month's aviation magazines has an article and pictures of one of the spits which the AC operated in the 50s and is now in private hands.Beautiful beautiful aircraft.Seems it took part in the d-day landings and flew a number of sorties over France scoring a number of kills.Would have made a great centre piece for the museum.

hptmurphy
11th September 2006, 20:49
Flypast..and the second part of the article will be in next months..but its all fairly standard stuff nothing that is not already known

Turkey
11th September 2006, 20:52
Thats the Grace Spitfire, it is thankfully in working order, including television apperences.
personally I prefeer to see Caroline Grace throwing it around the sky then it mouldering* away in Bal'
The other 2 seater is currently based in Duxford and is flying in Irish Air Courps colours.

* I mean that in the nicest possable way, the aircraft in question is better flying, even if Bal' bought it for the nation,[if it ever came up for sale] it is unlikey to ever see the sky again. In a country where the majority of the population are too narrowminded to support the current service[or even recognise it's existance] it is unlikely that they would support a muesum, and the high costs of running such a wonderful, but high maintaince, machine.

hptmurphy
11th September 2006, 21:18
The Irish marked one was only restored last year having been involved in a fatal crash where the instructor Norman Lees was killed.

Turkey
11th September 2006, 21:25
And has since visited Ireland twice, and was flown home with Paul Fry in the back seat, causing the Beechking to have to visit Duxford, to get the jammy b*****d back home again.
Fe*k being an ossifer, be a senior ossifer instead........

GoneToTheCanner
12th September 2006, 11:35
Hi all
As Paul Fry said, when asked if he'd pulled rank to get the backseat flip in 161, "I'm making a small boy very happy!"....he's also the officer with responsibility for the Museum, so you know who to go to,to get to see the place...
regards
GttC

Gunner Who?
28th September 2006, 02:52
Visited RAAF Museum the other day , great place , in the middle of a working base. The gate police man signs u in and gives you a visitors ID no problems at all.
Its at http://www.raaf.gov.au/raafmuseum/museum/visits.htm#

They have two Vampires, the RAAF had about 184 of them at one stage .

GoneToTheCanner
28th September 2006, 18:35
Hi there
I was there myself, back in 1997. An excellent Museum, well worth a visit, if any IMO visitor is in the area. Another fine airfield to visit in the Melly area is the Tyabb airfield, which has many vintage aircraft there among the many modern aircraft.
regards
GttC

Curragh Plains
28th September 2006, 23:40
Was at point cook about three years ago. mildly impressed. HMRANAS museum at Nowra about four hours south of Sydney is also worth a look but only if you are in the area.

parkman
29th September 2006, 22:38
This months edition of fly past has a section on the AC Museum---looks very good.It shows a photo of a scrap yard with bits of spitfires just lying there what a shame

Truck Driver
1st October 2006, 22:58
This month's An Cosantóir has details for the Air Corps museum (inside the back cover, if memory serves correctly)

Silver
3rd October 2006, 14:22
I too visited the RAAF Museum, when they held an airshow there in 2004.

I would also highly recommend visiting the RNZAF 'Air Force World' museum outside Christchurch, New Zealand .....excellent set up there!

Curragh Plains
6th October 2006, 12:38
All the above museums are second fiddle to the Belgian air museum in central Brussels which has a full range of stuff from Bleriot to F16s including some WW2 and NATO aircraft which were abandoned on Belgian territory. Aviation related areas eg army air aviation, paratrooping, propulsion units, wreckology all well reprented in side displays. Museum free and easily accessible of Metron just a stop beyond the EU headquarters museum.

GoneToTheCanner
6th October 2006, 15:09
Hi Curragh Plains
I've been there too.The downside of an otherwise excellent museum is the haphazard scattering of exhibits.They've got too much stuff,basically and when I was last there(admittedly three years ago), they had no guide and nobody to ask for gen. There were a few old boys working on restoration, but they made it clear that they did not want to be disturbed. I was there a few times and in each case, there were so few visitors that I had the run of the place and went for a snoop and found some very interesting stuff in various corners. They were not remotely as visitor-friendly as the fine auto museum just across the plaza. The Air Museum is also attached to the Army Museum, with a tank park hidden in the middle and a Natural History Museum opposite.Like you say, it has some fine artifacts of their history, but it's not remotely as appealing as Hendon or Duxford.
regards
GttC

Gunner Who?
7th October 2006, 23:08
Yep, Duxford and Hendon are without doubt the best Museums I have been In so far.
Duxford is really so big it takes more that a day to see it all. To see all those planes which I had made as airfix models actually there in the flesh so to speak was a really gobsmacking experience . The American "hanger" was so well done and the IWM "hanger" was really well done.
The whole experience was well worth another visit. A week tied in with a visit to the Farnborogh(sic) or Biggin Hill show would be a life time ambition achieved for me . dream on .

Goldie fish
8th October 2006, 00:04
When I visited Duxford, I arrived shortly after opening time. I think I looked at every exhibit, not lingering at any, and finished up at the Warpac Vehicles at closing time.

The Real history of aviation is there.

Parts
8th October 2006, 07:56
I went to Duxford a good while ago (I'd just done my Leaving Cert). Don't remember too much, but I do recall an experience similar to yours, Gunner and Goldie. The whole day spent trailing the entire place, never once found anything dull or repetitive. The highlight for me was the IWM hanger down the very end.

Curragh Plains
13th October 2006, 17:29
Gone to the Canner

Gttc, I take on board your comments regarding the Belgian Air Museum. However I would say that museums can fall into either of two categories (1) What you see is what you get kind of museums which have the authentic flavour of a big hangar with work in progress or (2) Everything polished up museums with a high level of interpretation. These are fine too but sometimes can be just a little bit too heavy on the interpretion. The Belgian museum has a fantastic range of material particularly at the modern end of the range including both NATO and Warsaw Pact aircraft. It is also strong on the ancillary uses of air assets such as paratrooping, army aviation, arctic surveying, as well as fine displays on Belgian aviation during WW2. The interpretative material is limited but there is an amount in French. Where the Belgian museum scores strongly is in its accessiblity and its context. Many air museums are located in abandoned airfields impossible or difficult to reach by public transport (eg. the otherwise good Scottish museum outside Edinburgh already mentioned in these columns). Indeed it would not be at all difficult to do the Brussels museum from Dublin in a day: early morning flight to Zaventem, train to city centre, change for Metro to Schuman and then a short walk, you would be there by opening time and have the day (which you would need). The other thing about Brussels is its context. Opening off the air collection is a fine tank display including rare German examples abandoned on Belgian terrain. There is an almost chilling display of very big WW1 hardware and also a fine and recent exhbit on Belgium during WW2 dealing, among other things, with difficult subjects such as colloboration.