Pots Course MKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots Course MKII

how many years service do you have to do before you can do a pots course? Ive heard of guys going form 2* straight up. Just wondering......

You have to be a 'fully trained' soldier to do a course, i.e. a 3 star. All 3 star's are eligble to apply for a course, regardless of the length of time they've served.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I've never come accross that stipulation.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

If it's in the regs I've never seen it adhered to.

Comment

on my pots course there was a young chap going by the handle of "babysham", as anyone on that course will tell you his service period fell well short of three years. Looks like the only person reading those regs would be you then kermit.

Comment

The length of service requirement changes from course to course. Kermit I suggest you read R5 as it does not refer to entry requirements for courses in such detail. When I did my PNCOs course the requirement was 2 years as a line 3 star or a tech 2 star (I never did understand the lessor requirement for the Tech private). At that time it was strictly adhered to as there were plenty of 3 stars. You would actually have 3 stars refusing to go on courses. The gap between NCOs and Ptes then was as big as the Grand Canyon.

God I feel old

Comment

Well The way it is in my unit is you wont get an interview for the Course unless you've extended your service i.e. Completed 3 years and Signed on for another 3
              Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Not too sure what the regs are. When I did my pots cse in 96 there were some people from units who had never seen the Bren gun before. This amazed me, I thought you couldnt be promoted to 3* until the bren was fired.

In my new unit there are some corporals who were recruits in 2001, hope I can get promoted that fast!!!
                Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

I know a guy who never even did a recruit camp and he got on a pots course. He joined his unit in september (as a recruit) and the following summer he did his pots course,then the following summer he did his "standards" course. He left the RDF, a couple of months later, he is now a PDF cadet!!!!

PS: His daddy was CO of this unit in question. mmmmmm

Comment

sound guys cheers for that just wanted that clarified

Comment

A quote for the syllabus of training for the pots course:

a. Have a minimum of two calendar years effective FCA service as a 3* Line or 2* Tech.
                      b. Have fired and qualified within the previous 12 months in the FN Rifle (Table 23), Bren LMG (Table 28) and Gustaf SMG (Table 22)
                      c. Be proficient in Arms Drill, COFD and Individual Fieldcraft

obviously a bit dated and usually not adhered to.

Comment

I think it's the same young baby sham that we're all refering too. This isn't the first time he has been refered to on the board. It's amazing that with his genitic makeup and skill that within 2 years of being sworn in he had 3 stripes on his arm! Wow, isn't that just fantastic....... Now he'll have a black beret and pips! What are we doing wrong?
                        I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

makes one wonder about the whole nepotism issue in the DF really. I'm sure that having three stripes after two years greatly increased his chances at the cadetship interviews. People like that really do make me sick. If anyone knows this person, could they politely ask him to clear up any details on the board...

Comment

Nepotism is rife!!!!

On my pots course there was one female who was married to one of the officers in the unit running things. She was molly-coddled by the DS when she cried, while all other females were told to buck up. She was dragged all the way through the pots by the instructors because of who her husband was.

The next year she was on the standards, again her parent unit was running things and again I witnessed the instructors unfairly help her. I was in the Glen on duties and saw her get additional instruction and encouragement not given to others, despite the fact she was unable to do the job (while she was billet orderly she complained to me that one of my females had not kept her bed space clean, when I asked her if she had said this to the private she replied "it's not my place") Low and behold she passes & gets her third stripe.

The year after that she was on the tactics course. The pre-lims for that course were rigorous, with a number of pass-or-fail fitness tests. One of the tests was a timed march. While on the march the course was accompanied by a Transit to pick up those who dropped off. The students were told that whoever got on the Transit was to be immediately RTU'd, guess who was among the first on the Transit? And guess who among those on the Transit was allowed back on the course? This pattern was repeated throughout the remainder of the course.

It makes me sick.

Comment

three stripes after two years devalues the whole promotion system. this sort of situation devalues the fca as well, its no wonder that some of the pdf have a bad view of us. the officers are worse to let this happen
                              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Working...
                              X