Flying without Bankruptsy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying without Bankruptsy

I recently used a flight voucher at Weston Airport, and want to train for my pilots licence. Trouble is, at €145 per hour and a recommended i hour per week I can pretty much forget about it.

I was wondering two things

- is there anywhere cheaper I can do these lessons. Not interested in going to US or wherever, I don't have that kind of money, it has to be a once a month/fortnight job. Have own transport & can travel

-how often do I need to train to have any chance of qualifying? Not should, but NEED. I'm onna budget here

I'm sure this kind of thread has been put up before, in which case someone could kindl y direct me to it. Otherwise, all info appreciated

Thanks in anticipation
    Take these men and women for your example.
    Like them, remember that posterity can only
    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
    possession of those who have the
    courage to defend it.
    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

If you want to fly without bankruptcy, maybe you should think about microlights! (check my last post in the thread "reserve air corps" 25th Mar)
    Keep the speed up...!

Comment

Get a second job!
      :D :D :D

Seriously , it is not going to be much cheaper that that anywhere else.
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Im looking into this too...
        Ive some advice though...

you plan on 1 hour once a month
        you need 45 hrs minimum to sit the exams
        thats 45 months
        thats almost 4 years and thats also only your basic Private Pilots Licence

Also the 145 per hour does not include your documented material you need for studying, exam payments and there are a myriad of other costs to think about too.

Im hoping to get a new job soon with a pay rise involved and then i will save for a few months, take out a loan and either go to USA or Australia for 4 to 6 weeks and do the whole thing in one go.

Then im on my way to get a CPL

Also have a look a www.malgus.com

they offer sponsorship if you meet the selection criteria, be warned they expect repayment in full once you have completed your air transport pilots licence ... a snip at about 90 Gs.
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Not many people would sit the flight test at 45hrs, you'd want to budget for another few hours.

Dont forget that the flight test costs a couple of hundred E200-300 and the medical is E120
          Keep the speed up...!

Comment

I'm a solicitor on a good salary- I'm not looking at a career, just some weekend fun. Doing it more regularly or in a block will be possible in a few years, just not now- new house.....

So four or five years would probably be cool for me, at the end of it I can get a light aircraft -patriot:

Thanks for the info
            courage to defend it.
            Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.

Comment

Have just completed an online application for Royal Auxiliary Air Force in Edinburgh.

Snowballs chance in hell of getting accepted, but flights to Scotland are cheaper than flying lessons, and it's the same time frame. And I might be able to post in this forum and know what I'm talking about.

Flying Harriers has a certain appeal too
              courage to defend it.

Comment

Working...
              X