Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First PC-9M pictures online

Hi Guys,

I've got the first batch of the PC-9M's arrival at Baldonnel pictures online.

Click here for these and all the other Air Corps Pilatus PC-9M pictures.

I hope to have more online tomorrow.

Regards,

Frank.
    IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
    http://www.irishairpics.com

Nice one!

Comment

Great pictures cant wait to see the rest
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Nice photo .... shitty airplane!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

You must be joking me?
          What do you mean its shitty?
          Are you an expert on turboprop trainers and know something that we dont?
          Share it with us.
          IMO Its the best damned aircraft that we have at the minute and its a pretty proper and respected lead in trainer in other REAL airforces. Its a good choice, but as is always the case, not enough were purchased.
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

IMO Its the best damned aircraft that we have at the minute and its a pretty proper and respected lead in trainer in other REAL airforces.
            Can't understand investing in a trainer when there is nothing else to move onto.Train for what????

Comment

Originally posted by parkman
              Can't understand investing in a trainer when there is nothing else to move onto.Train for what????
              What do you mean theres nothing else to move onto!!? an its not only a trainer its a highly capable aircraft an will do a lot more than train future pilots. Train for what? go look it up. at least try to post a convincing argument if your gonna start slating something you have no knowledge of!
              "ya might wanna raise your gear."

Comment

hptmurphy
                Nice photo .... shitty airplane!
                Oh, hell no it isn't. This is one of the most advanced turboprop trainers available. In its modified form the T6A Texan it is the trainer of choice for the USAF and USN amongst others.Personally I can't think of too many other prop trainers that are better than the PC9 at the minute, except for the T6A (becuase it is a bit better specified than the PC9) and Super Tucano (only cos of the excellent weapons options availble for its A29 incarnation).Whilst the Irish PC9s don't have the full set of weapons system that PC9s can be fitted with they are still well specified, upgradable, will provide a very solid basis for pilot training programs, and have limited COIN/ground support abilities.

morpheus
                Its a good choice, but as is always the case, not enough were purchased.
                With more purchased they would form the basis for an excellent ground attack unit.If upgraded to a standard on a par with the Slovenian Swifts, along with compatable weapons purchased, they would be able to provide the type of precision air support that the Army needs for the sorts of situations it has found itself in.With enough available a theoretical possibility ie creative thinking and flight of fancy is the creation of a flight school for the new Eastern Bloc EU nations air forces etc, which will be in need of training with Western equipment and tactics, leading to a possible cash source.Pooling of training facilities seems to be a popular move nowadays eg The NATO flight school in Canada (well ok, its been around a while) and the new Tiger acdemy in France.

parkman Can't understand investing in a trainer when there is nothing else to move onto.Train for what????
                Well, the CASAs and Air Corps 1 are a step up, but in terms of ability the rest of the IACs aircraft are a step down (well the Garda ASU aircraft are a good move but I don't think most of the IAC people here like being responsbile for them) becuase of the capabilities of the PC9s.The purchase of newer, relatively more advanced fixed wing aircraft would make the PC9 purchase more worthwhile in my eyes, so I partly agree with parkman against my better judgement.
                Last edited by ForkTailedDevil; 22 April 2004, 21:57.
                Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Sigh...can't wait to hear Mr Smith trumpeting this on the radio, I wonder will he announce our PC-9 Medium lift-light utility-attack helicopters on the same broadcast or announce them all seperately
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

You'd think the DF would learn to shop online, you can get some great bargains:

Shop for the best gifts & discover great gift ideas for him, for her, the kids & grandparents on IWOOT, with FREE UK delivery available.

By my reckoning, buying 8 of these instead of 8 PC9s would have saved €5,197,611.50. Ah well, live and learn.....

Comment

why are we buying a lead in trainer that is twenty years old in design when there are farr more capable jet trainers out there.

We are buying the top of the range and spening humungus amounts of money on small amounts of aircraft when there are better second hand aircraft available.

We now again have a machine that is expeected to carry out both the light strike and taring roles.......one job one airplane.

We could have bought half a dozen second hand tucanos for the same money then bought some two seater jets again second ahnd for the same money.

The PC9 is a n officers sports car with limited operational capabilities.

we could have aquirred 10 refurbished alpha jets for the same money from the germans two years ago and now have an effictive srike force.....what have we got now a few boyz toyz at ripoff prices and still no proper deicated strike aircraft. The aircorps is merely becoming a secondary training school for the airlines.

I agree whole heartedly with barry ...there are far superior and more capable aircraft available if you shop around...the former eastern block produce some great machines a t affordable prices.....and aren't they all in the EU so wheres the political hang up!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The primary function of current jet trainers is to provide a stepping stone to proper fighters. Apart from that they don't offer a whole lot, they have some ground-attack capabilities & some have a limited air defence role.

Since we have no proper fighters to graduate to, jet trainers offer little advantage over turboprops & have higher running costs to boot. People also have to remember that even if the AC was given decent fighter aircraft for free, it would have neither the resources nor the expertise to operate them.

Buying jet trainers for real reason, other than they look cool, is a waste of money. The PC-9 will fufill all the AC basic & advanced training needs at a lower cost than a jet.

I would have let the Marchettis soldier on for a bit & put the money into ML heli's, but the PC-9 is a good choice for a trainer.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

The whole jet trainer/light figher thing was covered here:

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
                          X