Belive it or belive it not!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belive it or belive it not!!!!

On a well known chat site, sunday nite and Shannon came up, and a chap from the UK told me the following:
    He seen in Flight International, he thinks, an article in which the Irish government have requested that the RAF station a number of aircrafts in Shannon, 6 Tornados were mentioned,to protect aircraft in the area.
    Comments?:D :D :D
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

whoh

Emmm, turkey, that will probably cause outright insurrection among the people if true!

The irish tax payer would be paying the raf to be stationed here..

people will go nuts, and i wouldnt blame them.

although if this is a calculated move by the government, it could mean they publicly back down just as the backlash commences, instead buying - or renting the tornados for use by the irish air corps... with the minimum of public protest

or am i being too optimistic and way way way too generous with regard to the intellect of fianna fail :-patriot:

Comment

I reckon he was winding you up Turkey.

Any chance of checking out the edition of Flight International he mentioned ?
      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Not a mention of it in this week's magazine, which i picked up while waiting for a plane this morning.

Comment

Sorry guys, the chap on the chat site said a pre-Christmas issue of Flight Int.

Comment

I have access to a back catalogue of over a decade, no such comments were made in Flight international, last year
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Minister Smith in a dail debate reply (see yellowjackets thread: dail debates re defence) said that in the event of a terriorist aircraft flying over Ireland "..outside assistance would be required.."

There we have it, a Minister has actually admitted that the RAF is our protector :(
              IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Well it's up to the people and they in their moral fortitude would rather the British taxpayer pays for our security...we're the colony that never grew up.
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

So much for having an Air Corps that can`t protect the people it has been charged to do:( . I`m sure the british taxpayer would be pissed off about their air force protecting us as well as thm and trying to fight a war against Saddem
                  Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                  http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

I have not been in touch with this chap since, but in the light of smiths comments to the Dail recently, there may be more to this then meets the eye, now with my home PC fixed however and new anti-virus software installed, I will be back in touch with all my cyber-buddies,.....
                    ..................or I could get a life:D :D :D

Comment

I haven't come across any such alegations in any edition of the reputable Flight International magazine. I have also investigated this via personal avenues and there seems to be no basis for this nonsense. I'd re-check your facts there Turkey.
                      I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

Facts what facts??

Kermit, every day my respect for you grows:D :D :D .
                        Earhart, since that virus done in my system, I lost almost all e-mail addresses including this chaps, so until we meet again on chat, I can check nothing.
                        In the light of mature reflection,:D I consider that such a plan is unlikely, as I do not think the RAF have sufficent resources to assist this country even if they wanted too.
                        All the more reason for this country to invest in it's own air-defence, regardless of the cost!!!!

Comment

Turkey I agree with that we need a proper Air Defence system. But we need new SAR and utility Helicopters first. I too really doubt that the RAF would wing its way over here to protect us as they have too much to over there.
                          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                          http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Working...
                          X