Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Identification of Brass Artillery Shell Casings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of Brass Artillery Shell Casings.

I have in my posession a shell casing from some form of artillery piece that I am unable to identify. Is there any website that I could find information on it,based on the markings on the base?
    It was found in a back garden,buried,in cork city some years ago.
    It is stamped with numerous markings, including 1904 and on the precussion cap, No2III 12/14 and R^L

Can anyone throw any light on it? Its about the same length as a Bofors 40mm shell,but the calibre is about double that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Its a fair bet that it's British. You could try the Royal Artillery Museum and the National Army Museum. I had both their addresses once but would have to organise a major search for them now. Try the websites for postal addresses.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Thanks..I discovered the R^L usually points to Royal Logistics..but thats the best I can come up with so far..

Comment

Dunno. Logistics seems a very modern term for a century ago. I would have thought that the stamp should be Royal Ordnance, the arrowhead being their "trademark".
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

If its "about the same length as a Bofors 40mm shell, but the calibre is about double that" it could be a 13pdr or 18pdr shell case. If you have any photos post them here and I may be able to identify it. Also measure the lenght of the case etc. RL stands for the Royal Laboratories Woolwich Arsenal.

Comment

I don't think so It has always been Royal ordinance even now under BAE systems. Royal Ordinance is still on all cases and Ammo Boxes. Maybe it ment Rebel Langers (Sorry Goldie couldn't resist)

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

It is Royal Labratories allright,I done some more research..
              The Shell which is rimmed ,is 30cm in length,has a rim diameter of 75mm and a calibre of about 60-65mm but its hard to tell as it was pretty damaged when it was found. Its in good nick now tho,but I havent managed to return the opening to a proper round shape.
              Here is a photo/scan of the base,it may be of some help.
              Attached Files

Comment

According to the experts on Tanknet (who know about these things) it is a
                British naval 6 pdr (57x306R) Hotchkiss, also fitted to the "male" versions of the first tanks in WW1
                So the next question is,how did it find its way to a back garden near Blackrock castle...

The Harbour forts were fitted with 6 pounder guns...More info on the forts can be found here .

Some were also mounted to the Flower Class Corvettes,and the MTBs..

Comment

Well indeed it does look like either a 6Pdr or a 12Pdr casing which could be found in the harbour forts & also Dun Laoighaire Pier which are used for Gun salutes for foreign vessels of State Well Done!!
                  Live long and prosper!

Comment

The complete round is the left-hand one in this picture (the others are the three-pounder, the two-pounder anti-tank and the WW2 six-pounder anti-tank). The 6 pdr 8 cwt, as it is properly known, was also used in WW1 'male' tanks.

Tony Williams
                    Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
                    Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks,Welcome aboard by the way. Yellowjacket pointed me towards your site,and the info was much appreciated. Now I have to figure out how it made its way to a back garden in cork city.

Comment

Did you ever find out?

Comment

No, but it's great for holding change.
                          Very little detail on any of the Harbour fort guns that weren't the big ones.
                          Last edited by Goldie fish; 26 December 2008, 11:51.

Comment

Militaria Collectors unite to discuss inert ordnance, share enthusiasm and knowledge for military collectables, ordnance from modern warfare to world war 1

TRY ASKING THESE GUYS

Comment

2 Artillery shells

Hi I bought 2 Artillery Brass Shell casings over the weekend can anyone give me some information please. No firing cap or projectile,

6cm diameter base and standing 31cm
                              numbers on base of shells:[LIST][*]10 mm4 ECC 50 Z 1951 GD LOT 215[*]06682001 07181029 40/50 m/78 99281002

Really appreciate it in advance

Bodi

Comment

Working...
                              X