Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on the Allies declaring war on Hitler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the Allies declaring war on Hitler.

I was talking to my friend today about the Leaving Cert history paper. One of the topics we discussed was the outbreak of World War 2. When Hitler invaded Poland the Allies declared war on Germany, Hitler had an alliance with Russia whereby Poland would be divided between the two of them.

My question is why didn't the allies also declare war on Russia?

Russia commited the same act of war that Germany did, was in an alliance with them and yet they eventually join the allies.

I know there were other reasons why war was declared on Germany but the invasion of Poland was the main reason. Any ideas?
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Would you like to fight Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia at the same time?
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Germany & the USSR signed a non-aggression pact and also agreed to divvy up Poland, they weren't in an alliance. Stalin hadn't reneged on his country's treaty obligations or annexed a load of territory in the 1930's.

F Molloy hits the nail on the head - Britain & France didn't have the military capability, the strategy, or the will to declare war on the USSR.

It should also be noted that the USSR didn't join the Allies from moral conviction, rather their hand was forced by 3 Wehrmacht Army Groups proceeding eastwards accross the frontier in June 1941 at a very rapid rate.
      "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

The thought occurs that the Allies didn't really give a shite about Poland but realised at last that Hitler would turn west next. Also Monty's first rule of war- Never invade Russia.:D
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The Allies had an agreement with Poland that they would fight for them if Germany invaded. However Britain and France did have plans to attack Russia, though indirectly. e.g. they had a plan to aid the Finns who were fighting against Russia during the Winter of 1939/40. There's an episode of the famous series "The World at War" which covers this quite well.

In the event the Allies actually never really helped Poland at all as at the end of the war they didn't really oppose Russia's occupation of Poland. Germany and Russia were not allies as such so the Allies were not required to declare war on Russia.

Comment

I shouldn't have used that word alliance. I know they had a non-aggression pact.

The allies were still taking on Germany which was the greatest military power at the time. Russia had one of the weakest armies of the time as was proved in the Russo-Finnish war, when they suffered horrendous casualties. If the allies were willing to take on the greatest army on the face of the planet, why not the weakest with it aswell?

I've come to the conclusion that they didn't because they were still hoping for Russia to join their side of the war. Thanks for the ideas anyway.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I notice the FAILED UK, USA & many other countries military expeditions to Russia in the Aftermath of WWI & the October Revolution on the sides of the "White Army" have been conveniently airbrushed out of history..........................

Funny how even the UK & USA couldn't manage to do what anyone else couldn't, yet its never in the offcial military history.........

Comment

Those expeditions happened in the aftermath of the Great War, the Allies' militaries and economies were exhausted (at least the European allies were), overthrowing the Bolshevik regime was not a prime strategic goal as can be seen from the half-hearted efforts they put into it.
                "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Working...
                X