Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Anne funeral drill

Hi ,
    Would anyone have information on this famous drill ,origins , history,actual movements involved in the drill . I trained on the .303 but unfortunately never learnt this drill. p.s. I have heard the jfk connection.

many thanks,:confused: :confused:
    "The tide doesn't come up for another six hours, you want to wait around here for another six hours ?"

You ina hurry to learn it?..........Ask GH hes the expert in such matters!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

You're a real smartarse murphy are'nt you.
      "The tide doesn't come up for another six hours, you want to wait around here for another six hours ?"

Comment

It wasn;t meant to be smart....sometimes units have not practised it and require it due to an unforseen death.....

the other comment that GH had performed brilliantly at a recent funeral as IC burial detail........

No pleasing some folks!!!!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Queen Anne Funeral Drill

Maybe this is what you are seeking. Seen at the dedication to Coughan VC.
          Attached Files

Comment

the other comment that GH had performed brilliantly at a recent funeral as IC burial detail........

Thanks for the compliment, but the hard work was done by the lads in front of me. Forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of our funeral drill being called Queen Ann Drill.

The drill used with the Steyr rifle consists of reversing arms (Ais Iompraigh Airm), resting on the arms reversed (Ar Airm Ais Iompraithe Luí), the carry from the reverse (Iompraigh Airm) and the firing of three volleys over the deceased. The firing of the volleys is broken into stages Lodáil, Tabhraigh and Lamhach-Load, Present and Fire. Finally the Firing Party Presents Arms while Last Post and Reveille are sounded. Easy peasy.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
            My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Although, I have heard of it before, I've never seen the Queen Anne Funeral drill done by the DF or anyone else. I know it involves a lot of spinning and throwing of the rifles with the bayonets attached. Unfortually, Google has let me down in finding any substantial information but heres what I found.

According to Arlington Cemetery, the Queen Anne Funeral Drill involves the drill master standing in the centre of a group of 4 soldiers, who throw their weapons (with bayonets ATTACHED) above and around his head.

According to another source, there is alot of spinning of the rifles. The drill finishes with the rifles being thrown into the air, end over end, and caught as the soldiers bend down on one knee.

Obviously, this is very different from the funeral drill in the Steyr Arms Drill Manual, as described by Groundhog, which is more simple and dignified. The photo on this thread, simply shows the rest on arms reversed.

I don't think the design of the Steyr would lend itself to this, apart from the fact that it is f***ing dangerous.

Comment

Silent Drill Platoon at Marine Barracks Washington does someting similiar in the evening parade...they also have another unit dedicated to funerals.
                "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

It makes a funeral sound like a three-ring circus. I've seen that kind of thing done as a drill display but a funeral?
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe he means the reverse arms with the .303?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks guys,

all I know is the 303 is rotated 180 degrees ,to ,muzzle resting on boot ,hands on butt plate arms extended , and then head is lowered slowly whilst drawing in butt to chest. how the rifle is rotated I dont know, from what position I dont know. Supposedly created by Free State Army at Beggars Bush Barracks at height of civil war when there were many funeral details each day,uniquely Irish drill. Urban legend ?
                      I dont know, but I would really like to find out.

Comment

Yeah thats the old reverse arms...

Comment

The rifle was brought out to the front of the body from the carry, right hand on small of butt, left on point of balance and reversed on a count of 6. Then the hands had to be swapped over in one movement, the rifle hanging free for a split second. Then the right hand was extended out to the side and brought onto the butt plate and the left hand the same again on a count of six. The rifle was then lowered onto the boot.

From there the head was dropped onto the chest to Rest on the Arms Reversed.
                          sigpic

Comment

There was the thing with the hands too

Comment

Yeah thats the one ...normally taught repetively to a class of recruits to destroy the bull on your boots..........ah! that lovely FN ..the weight the balance ...the boot destroyer.....

Cav ..I'll accept your apology when you get around to it!

Comment

Working...
                              X