Air Ambulance Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Ambulance Service

A few years back Dublin was suppose to get an Air Ambulance Service on a six month trail period. It was to be based around the already established HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Medical Service) in line with most European Capitals. I don't think the test period ever happened "could be wrong". It was to be contracted out much like the current SAR operations.

A consultant of Emergency Medicine, can't remember his name stated that people were dying unnessarly in the west of ireland from road crashes and accidents because of head injuries and the time frame involved in transport to a A&E department by road. His group recommend that 4 helicopters be located in key area's to provide the cover needed. These would be air ambulance and not SAR Helo's i.e small twin engine aircraft. Dublin, Cork, Shannon and Mayo. Each crew would have a Truma Doctor giving the casulity the best possible treatment on site.

Looking across the water to the UK where most counties have their own dedicated Air Ambulance Service. They are proven to save lives and again we hear in Ireland are agian found lacking.

I think that it would be better for the AC to operate this service but what type of aircraft would be good for the job and do you think it is a job for the AC ?

HEMS London click

Air Ambulance click

Could be a joint AC and Medical Corp venture

An air Ambulance service would be great for the country but it should`nt be linked to the Defence Forces. For the simple reason we dont have enough Doctors in the DF to cover our own problems without trying to sort out RT`s etc.
    Dont get me wrong it`s a great idea and on that should be in place.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

If the DF were to be involved it would probably follow the GASU model - Air Corp pilots & groundcrew but civillian EMT.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

FMolloy Im inclined to agree with you on this one. Air Corps pilots and support crews. How many would be needed to cover the country. I know 4 was mentioned but is it enough or too little. I could only see one major snag,and its FUNDING.
        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

An Air Ambulance service is badly needed in this country.
          I would be inclined to go with the AC crew and civie medics model.

4 would be the required amount - 1 each in Baldonnel, Shannon, Finner and Waterford.

A Mayo doctor (Now an independent TD in the Dail - his name eludes me) has been campaigning for such a service for many years.
          He suggests it should be run (and funded) on an all-Ireland basis, i.e. A heli based in Belfast, Dublin, Waterford and Shannon.
          Apparently such a service is currently the subject of a govt feasability study.
          IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

There are parts of the west where the nearest ambulance is more than 60 miles away. There is no doubt an air ambulance would save lives.
            It may be more economical to run it as a civilian service though.

Comment

Theres a feasability study been carried out at the moment into doing this on an all island basis involving the health boards north and south.Aircraft numbers are four , not sure what types their looking for but the location of bases are Dublin,Cork,Galway,and Belfast.Its looking like a civie tender if it were to go ahead.Theres a question mark over military air ambulance in the uk at the moment because of insurance cover for civies.

Comment

Just because a service requires flight doesn't mean that the Air Corps should do it.

Comment

If that's the way you look at it Bravo, would you not then agree that the SAR cover be provided on a totally civilian basis. If they can do it cheaper why not would you agree, what about a civilian MATS.

After that you could then have a Army Air Corp Troop Transport wing and Army Air Corp Intercept wing.

Comment

Yes, I do think that MATS functions and possibly SAR functions are taking away from the Air Corps true purpose. I mean the pilots on MATS duty what are we training them to do?.. be a Ryanair pilot?

Comment

The problem is that the loss of the ACs non-combat related roles would lead to the dissolution of the IAC, and your army air transport corps will be expected to be payed form from the savings, this would set in motion the rapid contraction of the defence budget and forces and lead to their effective dissolution, stop thinking like accountants, like civil servants running the state like a business...running the forces like a business.
                      It's disgusting.
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Not that I neccesarily agree with burdening the ACs budget with civil tasks but the IAC needs them as lifelines till it can build a defence structure up again.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

That would be fine if it was making an effort at building up a defence structure.

Comment

You think it isn't?
                            It's one thing to critiscise the allocation of funds to replace the Magister for a non existent role but I think replacing the Marchettis deserved some priority.

Comment

Working...
                            X