No announcement yet.

Overseas Service / Training. RDF & PDF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas Service / Training. RDF & PDF.

Can I tell you a story?

In 1978 myself and other members of the FCA were sent to a location on the border for ** months. This followed a 2 week camp and additonal 3 weeks intense course of training in the glen. The day we arrived, the Coy Comd laid it on the line as he did to all,PDF and for the first time,FCA . So we did everything our PDF comrades did, Patrols/checkpoints/duties/etc etc we all felt the same cold at 2 in the morning, p...ed and s..t behind the same ditches and ate the same cold food when it finally arrived. We drank and sang together in the same mess when off duty.

In the words of the Coy Comd to all assembled the day we left: ' I would take this bunch of Troops in front of me today anywhere in the world'.

Now can someone tell me why this cannot be the same today?
    it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
    Winston churchill

Maybe due to the fact that you worked so closely with the PDF that time. If/When we begin to train closer with the PDF we will see the same results....

Comment

Well considering many of the UN missions only constitute at the most a few hundred troops at any given time (something the PDF is more than equipped to handle), there really is no reason to send the RDF overseas. But I do see increased training roles for them in the future.
      "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

"There really is no reason to send the RDF overseas."

Of course there is, why not let our RDF comrades go, given the right training they will do just as good as job as the PDF?

Doesnt the US army send their reservists? I have worked with them and they wouldnt exactly inspire confidence in me.
        Let the boys go if they want, but train them properly and dont just send them to do the jobs no one else will do.
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I dont know why so many PDF are afraid of RDF going overseas,after all you PDF have been serving with reserve soldiers for the last 10 or 20 years as most other countries only send reservists.
          And it will happen because it is the ways things are done now and cheaper.
          :-patriot:

Comment

As a reservist i can see where the PDF are coming from. I wouldn't trust 70% of my reserve battalion with a water pistol. Maybe it's down to training, maybe not, but a lot of reservists make a laughing stock of the reserve in front of the PDF. I can see why they wouldn't jump for joy at the thought of going to a hostile / volatile area with them.
            Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Overseas

While I recutantly agree (and go a bit further than your 70%),
              surely its not the fault of the reservists The fault has to lie with DFHQ for
              supplying a Bde reserve force that is seen as a cushy number for both the Officers and the NCO's.
              They supply you with PDF Officers as training officers, ching ching ( the sound of a cash register as they pocket the allowances) who are on the whole worse than useless and then the bane of my life the Cadre staff, or silent valley retirement home.

How can you train effectively if your training element is incompetent lazy and out of date.

Change all the above and there should be no reason why the RDF cant travel.

Hedgehog the optimist.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

While on the subject has there been a deadline for when the integrated reserve will come into being? Wont that be the start?

Comment

Yes, it's 2009. Check the RDFRA website, and there is an Excel sheet with the timelines on it.......
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Re: MOD: Split from other.

Originally posted by beenthere
                    Can I tell you a story?

In 1978 myself and other members of the FCA were sent to a location on the border for ** months. This followed a 2 week camp and additonal 3 weeks intense course of training in the glen. The day we arrived, the Coy Comd laid it on the line as he did to all,PDF and for the first time,FCA . So we did everything our PDF comrades did, Patrols/checkpoints/duties/etc etc we all felt the same cold at 2 in the morning, p...ed and s..t behind the same ditches and ate the same cold food when it finally arrived. We drank and sang together in the same mess when off duty.

In the words of the Coy Comd to all assembled the day we left: ' I would take this bunch of Troops in front of me today anywhere in the world'.

Now can someone tell me why this cannot be the same today?
                    How was your civilian employment effected? Were you informed of any safeguards to protect your re-employment rights? What about healthcare, pension, insurance, etc? Were the full resources of the DF available to you if you ran into any issues concerning this mobilization, eg legal help?

These are the issues that you current FCA people should be concerned with before this integration plan goes into effect. The equipment, training, resources etc will come, but will your real job be protected if you find yourself doing an involuntary tour overseas?

Is your representative body doing anything to pressure the politicians to introduce legislation to take care of mobilized reservists? Do they have any suggestions at all? Any reference to the rep body on this board seems to be concerning petty, nonsense issues, (rank sliders, web-sites), and no mention is made of a strong legislative protection for FCA guys sent overseas.

Just my 2 cents.

Later.
                    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

I understans that the integrated part of the RDF will be training along side their PDF counterpart and maybe be posted over seas. But what will the non-integrated element be used. What does their future hold?
                      If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

I would imagine to join the integrated units you will have to be minimum of 3*. So I suppose the Non-Integrated units will train recruits up. I suppose that people who can't devote as much time as others will stay non-integrated.

Comment

The non-integrated element will be pretty much as the Reserve is at the minute...
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Would I be correct in assuming that when integration occurs people will have to apply for their position with in the unit. I cant imagine the non-integrated units having much of a future. Then again could this be a 2 part integration. Part 1 being, integrating the essential elements. Part 2 integrating the rest of the reserve?
                            If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

1. No. Although this may happen, that isn't the re-org. it's just to address an issue.

2. That's not how the re-org works at all. Really.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X