Learjet to be sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learjet to be sold

Wasn`t online this weekend and kinda expected this to be under discussion but IOS reported on sunday that the Learjet will now be sold as there is no longer enough ministerial use of it to warrent its use anymore and that it is proving to be a serious drain on Air Corps resources. The newspaper also gave the figure of 4million for VIP transport during the presidency.
    The "prang" which damaged the Learjet also did 30,000 euro worth of damage to the Casa which is currently in Spain, IOS also restated its claim that 11 aircraft were been held in a hanger meant for 3.
    Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

I saw that. it also mentioned that many of the people on the ground in the don were paraded by the MPs as a result of their exposè on the prang a few weeks before.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Isn't that the jet they bought last year? Surely they would have realised that there would be a fall off in transport requirements and should have leased the damn thing. Someone needs to get their ass kicked for that waste of resources (unless of course they somehow get more money for it than they paid, in which case they should be applauded, somehow I think not).

Comment

Sounds like fodder for next year's comptroller & auditor general's report.

If the demand was for a short timeframe, why not just lease the damn thing, rather than buying new then selling off with presumably a significant depreciation?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket
          Sounds like fodder for next year's comptroller & auditor general's report.

If the demand was for a short timeframe, why not just lease the damn thing, rather than buying new then selling off with presumably a significant depreciation?
          After posting noticed B20 wrote something eerily similar...

Comment

mine was at 15:08 yours was at 15:09, so we were both typing at the same time. Well as the saying goes Great Minds think alike (fools seldom differ):D

Comment

Probably the ass that needs kicking is a reporter?

Remember, the Lear replaces the Beechcraft and I doubt if this Cabinet will do less travelling than others have over the last 10 years or so.

IAS

Comment

Someone needs to get their ass kicked for that waste of resources
                The intention was always to sell the aircraft, it was reported as such before the presidency ever began. It was cheaper to buy the aircraft for a year and have it on hand 24/7 rather than pay a leasing company for the use of it. Which makes sense if you think about it. The key issue in financial terms is how long you need exclusive use of the aircraft. The argument for leasing runs out after about 4 months, after that point it makes more sense to just buy the thing, at least according to what I've been told.

This is a case of sloppy journalism rather than anything else.

Comment

We are talking about Ireland on Sunday.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What kind of money will be made from the sale? And would it be safe to say whatever is made will either go towards the helicopters or just for ministers wages?

Would love to see it spent on an additional aircraft; perhaps a dedicated troop transport Casa, or a few Defenders? Sorry I'll get me coat.

edit: in part answer to my own question, the cost of a new Learjet 45 is quoted as $9.5m. The Aircraft the Corps have is nearly new and I wouldnt be surprised if it's sold back to the company
                    Last edited by pym; 21 October 2004, 01:45.

Comment

Lets say they sell the Lear for €7 Million, what kit in the defender / Caravan range could they pick up?
                      "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

Well if they plumped for a civil "Islander" version for multi engined training and small transport, to replace the Cessnas and compliment the Garda Defender....
                        they cost $650,000 VFR. Although obviously the IFR would be more useful here and more expensive. The Defender - well it's alot more expensive. The only price I can find is from 2002 and it's £2.5m.

The Cessna offerings:
                        Caravan 675 $1,600,000
                        Caravan 675 Amphibian $1,800,000
                        Super Cargomaster $1,450,000
                        Grand Caravan $1,750,000

The Caravan shares the PT6 engine with the Pilatus PC-9.
                        Last edited by pym; 21 October 2004, 05:26.

Comment

I just had the horrible realisation they are going to sell it to break even with the bloody things fuel bill

Comment

I think a 3rd Casa is out for the moment,they`re very expensive and the Air Corps want to replace the Reims Rockets with Islander/Caravan types.I heard that the Caravan is the most likely option if they ever get the go ahead to replace the Reims
                            Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Amongst the cutback "deadcerts" flagged by the media concerning this months budget was the culling of one of the Gov jets.So far I have not spotted any announcements on this,does anyone have any info?

Comment

Working...
                              X