Breaking the Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the Ice

What do you do to break the ice between recruits when you have a dozen new recruits who don’t know each other and are afraid to even look sideways.

I have got them to buddy off then spell their buddies name in the phonetic alphabet.

I have also got the recruit to stand 20 paces in front of the section and under my supervision call out the commands for the section.

This has the advantage of getting the recruit familiar to the commands but also increases their confidence and after all of the recruits have had a go of this they usually work better together. They also call out the timing louder which means that they are all in step!

Any thoughts?
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

I usualy find giving them a common objective works.....hating me!

A bit of acting the bollocks and now they have a common denominator and they can get on with the training.....the good old marching on the spot for a few minutes focuses the mind....the FN was a great leveller...all sorts of adverse drill
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I didnt realise we had to encurage them to be friends too..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Get them to talk for a minute about their buddy

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
          I didnt realise we had to encurage them to be friends too..

We dont, it just speeds up the learning process.
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

On day one we were buddied off. By first parade on day two, we had to know our buddie's name, how many brothers and sisters they had, where they lived, their mother's maiden name, how many pets they had (living or dead), etc.

Comment

They're common hatred for you should bring them warmly together :D

Try some teambuilding exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
                We dont, it just speeds up the learning process.
                Since when? You are not there to create a social club. Given time and hard training they will realise the need for teamwork and the Buddy Buddy system.
                However most of the comradeship comes in the mess afterwards as the existing 2*/3* have a chat with them and they relax.
                On Camp you will automatically buddy them up with someone but there is no need during weekly training.
                Anyway most of them would have joined with friends and have buddies already (Although the Army has a way of making you realise exactly who your real friends are!!!)

Comment

I didn't join with any friends or buddies Docman.Comraderie is very important, once the troops know eachother they are more comfortable and can relax and really learn their stuff.Most companies don't have access to a mess on parade nights and remember we're talking about recruits here, most of whom are below the legal drinking age.
                  Given time they may learn the importance of teamwork but what about why not help them along.Isn't that part of a good nco's job?!

Comment

Is there a screed on "Helping recruits become buddies". It must be with the Ration Pack one..
                    You cannot make people mingle. People make friends with who they want to make friends with. When I was a recruit,there were those I got on with and those whom i did not. If for any reason I was paired off with those I did not wish to be paired off with,I would have soon lost interest and left.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

ah teambuilding exercises.... my favourate pastime!

joker if you want ideas, contact me privately...
                      Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

mental anguish and physical beatings dont count T.I.M

Comment

Either way, recruits are not allowed in the Privates Mess

Comment

who said recuits are not aloud into the mess?
                            The world steps aside to let any man pass if he knows where he is going

Comment

The army, messes are for 3*s
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X