NS for next big tender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS for next big tender?

The army got their Mowags, the AC have their new helis in the pipeline, the NS have only christmas to look forward to.
    Logically the new investment will be in the NS. Since IMO has never been too far off in the past, what do you think the DF will get? If you're one of those people that thinks the DF will put money into the army or AC again, then what do you think it will be spent on? (no jet engined aircraft suggestions please, we all know that only ends in tears.)

I would make a suggestion but I have a habit of being miles off.
    "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Hopefully a replacement for Emer and two NSR cutters
    Total €27M
    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

there was talk here on the board about a new ship entering service ( i cant remember if the entire thread was a piss take aimed at journo's) but the idea of getting rid of 2 old Naval Vessels for one new one which could bring a full company of troops + mowags + hospital in RoRo would make a lot of sense.

Comment

You forget that while the Army were getting their Mowags,the NS were getting Roisin and Niamh.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well the "announced" ones are for Light Utility/Jeep Type Vehicles (€5m?) and the Light Tactical Vehicles (€15m?) aren't they?

While on the acquisition topic, how much have they cost so far - Mowags (€80m), Javelin (€13m), Roisin and Niamh (€50m), PC9s (€60m), AB139s and Ec135 (€40m) plus the vehicles above (€20m) giving a total of approximately €263 million, I thought the White Paper quoted a figure of a total of €250 million?

If these numbers are correct can we expect any more acquisitions?

IAS
          Last edited by ias; 11 December 2004, 01:49.

Comment

The white paper was printed during the old days of Pounds(punts even).

Comment

Thankfully you're right, though IR£250m = €300m, still we're getting very close. By the way, how much were the L70s, the Steyrs for the FCA/RDF and the highly military Learjet?

IAS

Comment

But didnt the learjet come from the Dept of the Taoiseach? And dont forget all the extra cash the DoD got from the sale of barracks.

Comment

the NS will probably get the Eithne back given that she has been out of service since september!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Last time I looked she had scaffolding around the starboard funnel.

I was thinking earlier,while reading about the pilatus shoot, and the NS and Air Corps dauphin being involved in the policing of the range danger area,and I realised there is an opening(another one) for the good men and women of the NSR.

Is this not an ideal opportunity for them to operate in small fast patrol launches? Rather than detaining a valuable naval asset,which may not be required,get a few Fast launches for patrolling the area...they wont be operating 365 days a year,only when the rangers are in use, so it would be ideal for the NSR.

Also,if a suitable craft were selected(or 2) they could fulfil the role currently carried out by a civilian vessel in the training of SAR helicopter winching crews(the air corps still retain SAR as a secondary role and over water training is still important). 2 craft of between 40 to 60 feet in length would be suitable,and a crew could be drawn from a pool of crewmen from all the 4 NSR units. If anything,it would give the senior ratings and officers something to do while the junior rates go off on patrol as crew in Naval vessels.

Just a thought...

Comment

sounds like a great idea to me, GF !
                      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

it only takes a phone call, ask those who took part in this years parachute courses how it works,
                        always glad to help out........

Comment

Originally posted by Hairflick
                          it only takes a phone call, ask those who took part in this years parachute courses how it works,
                          always glad to help out........
                          What only takes a phone call?

Comment

You are referring to NS interest in the ABSALON class now entering service in Denmark. A NS contingent recently toured the first of class there. Absoloutely the right ansawer. One ABSALON for two of the elderly ladies.

Cheers

Comment

Its an impressive ship alright (The Absalon).
                              It would be a bit of an anachronism in the NS fleet, being armed for war and all.
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X