Imperial War Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial War Museum

If anyone finds himself in London with a day to kill, I can highly recommend the Imperial War Museum main site in Lambeth. I went there yesterday, last time had been about 11 years ago. It is simply superb, I could have spent the whole day there.

I know there's a lot to do in London but the IWM is definitely worth checking out.

Is there anything similiar in Ireland? What have they got in the old Collins Barracks?
    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

I spent a full day there once. The Trench and Blitz experiences were excellent.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Thats odd, I was there yesterday too. Hope you took the time to see the holocaust exhibition.
      "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
      - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

IWM been there before a goodday well spent. Another place worth a visit is the Royal Armouries in Leeds, Yorkshire.

Comment

I thought the blitz experience was rubbish.

The trench was great.

The London science museum is excellent as well.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Duxford,If you happen to be in the east midlands area(sort of) is also worth giving a day to. I got there just after opening, and rushed through the whole place getting out just as they closed the doors.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I'm right beside Duxford, plan on going there and the American Air museum in the next couple of weeks.

The Holocaust part was good alright.

The trench was good although some of the dialogue was hopelessly unrealistic, just there for the tourists' benefit...actually, the impetus for going down there was because I just finished reading Richard Holmes' "Tommy", an account of the British soldier in WWI.

Are they still doing a Blitz experience? I was in a bit of a rush to towards the end.

They have a great selection of books in the shop, I could have maxed out my credit card on a bunch of them!
              Last edited by combatlogo; 27 March 2005, 18:57.

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                I thought the blitz experience was rubbish.

The trench was great.

The London science museum is excellent as well.
                My brother was there last month for the third time and he did say that the Blitz experience had gone downhill.

Maybe they could drop real bombs in the trench and on the cellar to add that extra realism.

There's an IWM of the North in Manchester, not far from Old Trafford. Don't bother, it's shite. The museum that is, OT is great.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                  Maybe they could drop real bombs in the trench and on the cellar to add that extra realism
                  Don't be stupid.

The cellar at the start was well done but the street mock up left a lot to be desired.
                  It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Maybe they could drop real bombs in the trench and on the cellar to add that extra realism.
                    not far from Old Trafford. .
                    why not just drop them on old trafford, no doubt roy carroll wouldnt catch any of them
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I didn't think much of the science museum at all. Apart from the space bit and floor 4 it had a target audience of 5 year olds.

EDIT: I saw a Bren MK1 in the IWM. 2 days previously I saw the same in our armoury.
                      Last edited by Jimmy C; 28 March 2005, 03:46.
                      "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                      - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                        Don't be stupid.

The cellar at the start was well done but the street mock up left a lot to be desired.
                        That comment was just a reality check for the dopes who were whinging that a simulation wasn't real enough. Simulated experiences are like that.
                        sigpic

Comment

why not just drop them on old trafford, no doubt roy carroll wouldnt catch any of them
                          The damned Germans already did that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                            That comment was just a reality check for the dopes who were whinging that a simulation wasn't real enough. Simulated experiences are like that.
                            So something which presumably purports to depict a historical setting realistically isn't actually supposed to be realistic at all?

Nice Tipp logic there...

Roger Mellie

Comment

Harry Boland wasn't shot in a river and he didn't die immediately.He died a couple of days later.
                              The MP 18 that was used in the restaurant assassination didn't ring true either.
                              Tsk tsk - more "dopes" complaining about lack of realism and accuracy.

Roger Mellie

Comment

Working...
                              X