PDA

View Full Version : Bren Gun Characteristics

ICUN
25th March 2003, 12:04
Does anyone have a list of the Bren gun characteristics needed to make a chart for teaching purposes?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:_bbFMd4GdUYJ:www.fmft.net/archives/lmgbren/bren%25202.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fmft.net/archives/lmgbren/bren%25202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fmft.net/archives/cat_guns_galore.html&h=336&w=450&sz=18&tbnid=_bbFMd4GdUYJ:&tbnh=92&tbnw=124&hl=en&start=20&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbren%2Bgun%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26l r%3D%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2003-51,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN)

Bailer
25th March 2003, 12:18
<font face="tahoma" color="#99cc00">Ah that time of year again the pots course!! there was a post somewhere about the bren recently, I'll see what I can find at home</font>

boforgunner
25th March 2003, 12:46
is the bren still used ??

ICUN
25th March 2003, 12:51
Yes, its still used. I fired it recently.

Despite rumours of it being replaced and RDF personnel using the GPMG instead, the Bren is still part of the PNCO's course so I presume it is still the official FSG weapon for RDF sections.

Bailer: thanks!

Thorpe
25th March 2003, 13:20
The bren. I hate it but we have to know it like the back of our hands for the PNCO`s course, although the gpmg is the weapon of choice for section in attack during exercises.

Bravo20
25th March 2003, 13:23
Depending on where you are. GPMGs are not always available to RDF units

LordFlash
25th March 2003, 14:36
While I have never fired the Bren, I've been trained on it, and it's a pleasure to take apart.
The Bren is still alive and well,.... we just can't get hold of any ammo for it....

Big Al
25th March 2003, 14:42
what do the mobile chicanes need bren guns for?:D :D :D

Bravo20
25th March 2003, 14:43
Thats a road block I wouldn't like to run

LordFlash
25th March 2003, 17:30
We have gotten tired of people nicking our traffic cones and chucking them in canals and rivers, and sometimes using them as loudspeakers or even putting them on their heads pretending to be giant witches!!
We mean business when we take our brens out!!
:D

Bravo20
25th March 2003, 17:31
Its a good thing the infantry have hidden all the .303 ammo on you then :D

LordFlash
25th March 2003, 17:37
Its always the infantry who we catch pretending to be giant witches with traffic cones on their heads,.... so that explains a lot.
And as you are an officer,.... this obviously goes much higher up than we thought!!!

Bravo20
25th March 2003, 17:41
He....He....He. You'll never catch me though.:D

yellowjacket
25th March 2003, 18:55
http://www.brengun.org.uk/manual.html

Very interesting site.

old rec
26th March 2003, 00:16
Is the Bren still in use? Yes

Back in my heady days as a fresh cpl just off my pots course ('96), myself and the other new cpl were sent to do the GPMG introduction course. What a thrill being the first GPMG instructors in our Bn.

I come back to the fold nearly 7 years later to find the Bren still going strong and the GPMG only a distant memory and the source of much scoffing in my new unit. Oh well thats progress I suppose.

As for a PA with a bren:D :D :D

Bravo20
26th March 2003, 09:14
Do they know which end is the dangerous end:D

Big Al
26th March 2003, 09:35
New PA Bren Picture

http://www.canadianheritage.org/images/regular/20932.jpg

LordFlash
26th March 2003, 09:38
You guys are just jealous!!

Thorpe
26th March 2003, 09:58
I personally hate the bren, those mags are a pain in the hole to say the least. Belts are quick and easy, but I will say the Bren is easy to strip down, so is the gpmg.

DriverGirl
27th March 2003, 19:23
I love the Bren. I heard that it's going to be in use until all the .303 ammo for it is used up and that could take years...

The Artist
27th March 2003, 23:13
me too! but personaly i prefer the steyr...

trellheim
28th March 2003, 13:00
The only bad thing I find is the inability to fire blank with the bloody thing
- sorry, without having to recock
(and I've tried all the ways I can think of ! )

IMHO its an EXCELLENT weapon for training. Since the FN and SMLE are now gone, it's brilliant for gaining teamwork in carting the bits around.

Joshua
25th October 2003, 17:01
There is and never has been a bfa for the Bren.
It is therefore unsafe to use with blank in an exercise situation.

How can you fire, or more to the point how have you been let fire blanks from the bren?

Regards etc

I KNOW its not a Bren....... dont bother!

Turkey
25th October 2003, 18:33
I always found the BREN gun to be a good wepon, easy to handle, accurate, easy to stripdown, and most inportant, not too much of a pain to carry.
But, this must be veiwed in the context of having that useless walking stick, the Lee-Enfield .303 as the main 'wepon'.

Commando69
25th October 2003, 19:07
its almost seven months to the day that this thread died, or so i thought. Whats the matter lads are the new posts so dull you have to resurrect this dinosaur?:D

Goldie fish
25th October 2003, 23:13
Its time we started abusing the Brens in stores so that they get replaced...if theyre not broke why would they fix them? How long has there been a 7.62 conversion available for them?
Its time they "broke"...

Joshua
25th October 2003, 23:42
Incitement to cause deliberate damage to government property?
I know you`re only joking Goldie.
GOLDIE IS ONLY JOKING EVERYONE.

C69. Believe it or not I was looking for some information on the Bren and used IMOL search. I found what I was looking for, unlike Bono, but was dismayed that trellheims post had gone unchecked.ie a three star could rightfully assume from his post that it was ok to fire blanks from the Bren without using a bfa.(which is not the case/unsafe)

Regards etc

Lost Watchdog
26th October 2003, 12:00
The Bren is the prince of LMGs, and dont slag off PA's with Brens. The Inf were always amazed at how may blank rds we could fire off. Its easy, the trick is to use your left hand. One you've fired the first rd, just keep the trigger depressed and work the cocking handle with your right hand (It also doubles as a carrying handle when on the move). You will get loads of jams but the effect is almost like firing on auto.

Goldie fish
26th October 2003, 12:37
I dont think amazed is the correct word...

Apalled or terrified would be more apt...

Joshua
26th October 2003, 12:43
You seem to be missing the point.

There is no bfa for the Bren.
Blanks should not be used if there is no bfa.
The Bren should not be used on a tac ex with blanks.

If you use blank with the Bren on a tac ex you are in breach of H & S.

Regards etc

Goldie fish
26th October 2003, 13:53
Joshua..save your energy..think of what you are trying to do...

Explaining to a PA that he is wrong....

hptmurphy
27th October 2003, 12:12
Brens and mags thats us......had the mag mounted on the aml for years now but still obliged to teach the Bren as part of the sylabuss and now to confuse things even further the ground mag has been introduced.

Anybody notice how 'dirty' the current batch of .303 is ...smoke every where ....firers face and hands manky after firing....thats cos it come s fromm.....wait for it Pakistan......DOD got a good deal on the last load of 25pdr ammo ..threw in the last few crates of .303 bren ammo free......I suppose You all did know that .303 rifle and machine gun ammunition are different!

trellheim
2nd September 2005, 17:59
I watching Bad Lads Army last night. They were firing the old Bren on blank on automatic. Anyone know what gadget they were using to help the recock along ?

Actually now I think about it they had the straight mags on them , that means it was a 7.62 conversion am I right ?

FMolloy
2nd September 2005, 18:26
Actually now I think about it they had the straight mags on them , that means it was a 7.62 conversion am I right ?

Correctamundo.

GoneToTheCanner
2nd September 2005, 19:52
Hi all
The Bren,eh? A delight to fire but a pain in the hole to carry around, until the GPMG came along...there must be millions of them still around, especially in India/Pakistan.There's probably going to be one still firing 100 years after the first one was made. Wasn't there at least one "kill" of a Skyhawk or a Dagger credited to Brens(7.62) in that bit of bother in the South Atlantic? Great gun.
Now,anyone for the Motley Gun...a Bren with a 200-rd drum?
regards
GttC

DeV
2nd September 2005, 21:44
Some Brit units used 7.62mm Brens in both the Falklands and Iraq War Mk1.

hptmurphy
3rd September 2005, 00:18
Conversion for a .303 bren to a 7.62mm bren in 181 cost 12oo pounds in clusive of the chromed barrel....did the DF make a mistake in not converting our brens..my unit has 6 guns mk3s built in 1957 and in 1997 thes guns had only fired 750 pergun......practically brand new...

trellheim
13th September 2005, 11:11
[MOD: Split from Re org thread]

Tell me precisely why you need GPMGs permanently in your store. You already have Brens, that's still your weapon until a TOE change , therefore in order to train on them you'll have to borrow some. That has nothing to do with the re-org.

DeV
13th September 2005, 12:26
The re-org is about the RDF being able to take a better defence role, serving alongside the PDF. The re-org covers equipment as well. We can't do that if we don't have the same basic section weapon.

The Bren's are generally unsafe and unsuitable. When we can get ammunition, the sights are off by metres and can't be adjusted correctly, they continue firing even when the trigger is released, no blanks are available etc etc

UniSol
13th September 2005, 13:06
The Bren's are generally unsafe and unsuitable. When we can get ammunition, the sights are off by metres and can't be adjusted correctly, they continue firing even when the trigger is released, no blanks are available etc etc[/QUOTE]

The GPMG also continues firing when the trigger is released. You have to twist the ammo belt to stop it. I prefer firing the bren because there isnt a risk of losing finger tips while trying to pull a rapidly moving ammo belt and aim it at the same time.

yellowjacket
13th September 2005, 13:14
Those problems sound like the hallmarks of poorly maintained weapons..

ICUN
13th September 2005, 13:25
Those problems sound like the hallmarks of poorly maintained weapons..
I'd say that no matter how well maintained weapons are, age will become a factor after a while. The Brens are nearly 50 years old aren't they?

yellowjacket
13th September 2005, 13:38
Age isn't a cause of degradation in a firearm of itself, but amounts of use would be. The point is though that a proper maintenance programme would identify faults and remedy them. LIke any other machine, parts wear out and need replacing or reconditioning.

EG when a MG "runs away", is it taken out of service and marked as needing work?

Barry
13th September 2005, 13:59
Age isn't a cause of degradation in a firearm of itself, but amounts of use would be. The point is though that a proper maintenance programme would identify faults and remedy them. LIke any other machine, parts wear out and need replacing or reconditioning.

EG when a MG "runs away", is it taken out of service and marked as needing work?
When a machine gun that fires from an open bolt runs away, it is usually a sign of slightly too little gas being used to force the breechblock back - it goes back far enough to reload, but not far enough to engage the sear, and thus stop firing. I'm not sure about the GPMG, but the solution on the Bren is to increase the gas setting. Of course, it can also be caused by a worn sear.

ICUN
13th September 2005, 14:07
Age isn't a cause of degradation in a firearm of itself, but amounts of use would be.
I know age itself won't effect it, I meant the age of it would mean it's had a lot of use.

Do they still have good enough quality parts for a Bren to make sure that whatever problem they are fixing won't just happen again?

trellheim
13th September 2005, 15:01
The Brens are in better shape than the GPMGs both by and large.

I note my thread has been split off , I didn't particularly want that to happen here as there was a point regarding the re-org in that the IP was banging on about not having non-TOE kit

The s

Joshua
13th September 2005, 15:47
Your post led to discussion on the Bren.
The thread was split to allow both threads keep on topic.

DeV
13th September 2005, 21:29
I've been to 2 brigade shooting competitions & an all army, where the armourers failed all the Brens as they didn't know anything about them / they classed them as unserviceable.

greyfox
18th September 2005, 21:39
any GPMG i have used has been a piece of rubbish more worn out then a rusty 1962 trabant .
however our brens were replaced few years back and are in great shape . If i had to choose between the two id take the Bren unless i was offered newer GPMG. The ammo 303 is very poor and causes excess fouling
The powers that be need to replace both weapons in the near futuer just a taught but with the newer westeren tactics based on the fire team using lighter belt fed 5.56mm or HBR rifles is the stalling of replacing the gpmgs in the PDF a way to avoid dramatic changes in tactics which would avoid the need for retraining and re examination of manuals ect at a time when the PDF is commited involved elsewhere .

Barry
18th September 2005, 23:38
however our brens were replaced few years back and are in great shape
A few years back, as in 1945?

Docman
19th September 2005, 05:08
A few years back, as in 1945?

No the Mk3s are stamped 1956. Only 49 years old as opposed to 60.

greyfox
25th September 2005, 22:09
no they were 1956 mk3s which were in stores never fired . the ones before were fairly worn out

Snacker
26th September 2005, 13:03
Normally jamming the barrell into a bank does the trick, not that i have ever seen this or tried it myself!

MOD: Do NOT under any circumstances try this!!!! - you could seriously damage the weapon, yourself and your buddies

DeV
12th December 2005, 18:22
http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/cutaway/bren.jpg