View Full Version : Platoon Leader

Docman
21st April 2005, 21:50
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35774

As Requested

Word document

Docman
21st April 2005, 21:53
What do people think? Is there room for this in the Irish Defence Forces. Could IMO be used.... without compromising military security?

Any suggestions?

The Joker
21st April 2005, 21:55
I reckon it will be next week before people finish reading the post...

landmark
21st April 2005, 22:05
Definitely in there in the running for prize of longest post of the century.

Maybe a chapter of War and Peace next? :-)

lefty
21st April 2005, 22:07
A week might take a bit longer than that :frown:

Docman
21st April 2005, 22:19
Its worth the read

Goldie fish
21st April 2005, 23:03
Naah...

Bam Bam
21st April 2005, 23:56
Bullet Points Of What Its About Please Docman

Jimmy C
22nd April 2005, 00:57
I'm on chapter 2, how's everyone else doing?

combatlogo
22nd April 2005, 01:06
Naah...

Closed minds are great alright :rolleyes:

Looks interesting, just a pain in the arse in its current format....cutting & pasting to a word document might be more user-friendly.

JAG
22nd April 2005, 09:36
For those of us who don't have the time- bullit points please?

GI Josephine
22nd April 2005, 10:59
sounds interesting but i only got half way through before givin up... sorry

The Joker
22nd April 2005, 13:06
Basically it tells the story of how an american soldier used to internet to network with other soldiers and discuss ideas, such as lessons, tips learned on exercises etc.

It took two months to track down Lieutenant Colonel Chris Hughes, who by then had been rotated home. He called from his father’s house, in Red Oak, Iowa, en route to study at the Army War College, in Pennsylvania. I wanted to know who had taught him to tame a crowd by pointing his rifle muzzle down and having his men kneel. Were those gestures peculiar to Iraq? To Islam? My questions barely made sense to Hughes. In an unassuming, persistent Iowa tone, he assured me that nobody had prepared him for an angry crowd in an Arab country, much less the tribal complexities of Najaf. Army officers learn in a general way to use a helicopter’s rotor wash to drive away a crowd, he explained. Or they fire warning shots. “Problem with that is, the next thing you have to do is shoot them in the chest.” Hughes had been trying that day to get in touch with Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, a delicate task that the Army considered politically crucial. American gunfire would have made it impossible. The Iraqis already felt that the Americans were disrespecting their mosque. The obvious solution, to Hughes, was a gesture of respect.

Hughes made it sound obvious, but, shortly before the Americans invaded Iraq, the Army had concluded that its officers lacked the ability to do precisely what he did: innovate and think creatively. In 2000, the new Army Chief of Staff, General Eric Shinseki, was determined to shake up the Army and suspected that about half of a soldier’s training was meaningless and “non-essential.” The job of figuring out which half went to Lieutenant Colonel Leonard Wong (retired), a research professor of military strategy at the Army War College. At forty-five, Wong is handsome and voluble, with the air of a man who makes his living prodding the comfortable. Wong found that the problem was not “bogus” training exercises but worthwhile training being handled in such a way as to stifle fresh thinking. The Army had so loaded training schedules with doctrinaire requirements and standardized procedures that unit commanders had no time—or need—to think for themselves. The service was encouraging “reactive instead of proactive thought, compliance instead of creativity, and adherence instead of audacity,” Wong wrote in his report. As one captain put it to him, “They’re giving me the egg and telling me how to suck it.”

Bam Bam
22nd April 2005, 15:03
A tips for on the ground thread would be good, but I'm sure its been done before.

Joshua
28th April 2005, 17:07
Are you proposing to have manuals available to download or just general information?

The Joker
28th April 2005, 17:13
No. More of a Q&A thing.

Joshua
28th April 2005, 17:14
How does this differ from the discussion board?

ice19524
28th April 2005, 17:46
manuals would be great!! would it
be possable to get restricted passwords
and usernames of CO'S to keep
security tight??

Joshua
28th April 2005, 18:55
I rest my case.

The Joker
28th April 2005, 21:05
manuals would be great!! would it
be possable to get restricted passwords
and usernames of CO'S to keep
security tight??

No this is not possible.

Bam Bam
28th April 2005, 23:20
Would be nice though.

Still trying to get my mitts on tm 201.

Anyone want to help a fellow comarde out

EH ? EH? :wink:

The Joker
29th April 2005, 00:25
The only people who need manuals are officers and NCO's...nobody else.

JAG
29th April 2005, 10:53
Ah Joker.

Heard of active learning?

Bosco
29th April 2005, 12:59
Im an NCO i've never even seen a manual!

Truck Driver
29th April 2005, 13:40
Im an NCO i've never even seen a manual!

You shouldn't be teaching lessons without having these to refer to. Next point, have you
asked for manuals.......

Bosco
29th April 2005, 17:07
asked and asked and asked never even seen a manual and this is my third year as a corporal

How Ya Doin?
29th April 2005, 17:46
asked and asked and asked never even seen a manual and this is my third year as a corporal
Not asking in the right places so are you. Manuals ARE available if you actually want them

Goldie fish
29th April 2005, 18:06

Have you asked anyone other than the bus driver? It doesn't matter how often you ask him...he doesn't have any :tri:

hedgehog
2nd May 2005, 17:09
tm 201 is not the be all and end all, it is now available on the military intra net, it is practically a copy of the brit manual execpt the crown isnt there,

Truck Driver
3rd May 2005, 20:17
tm 201 is not the be all and end all, it is now available on the military intra net, it is practically a copy of the brit manual execpt the crown isnt there,

Unfortunately, Reserve Orderly Rooms do not have DF Intranet access (at least any I've
seen anyway...)

Bosco
3rd May 2005, 20:34
Have you asked anyone other than the bus driver? It doesn't matter how often you ask him...he doesn't have any :tri:

No never asked the bus driver but then again were not all as lucky to be in a unit that trains in the barracks.
The point I was making is that I have never seen any manuals bar what I aquired myself. For example after my pots course I had a grand total of 10 lesson plans that was it, I know lesson plans aren't the be all and end all but they are handy references for when you revisit a subject that you haven't seen in a while. The manuals would have been nice just to know what the lessons were for the styer, bren and GPMG. Only in the last months i've actually managed to aquire the last few lesson plans and cheers to the bloke who gave them to me.
So in other words give your NCO's a hand and give them the manuals that they need to do their job properly.

hedgehog
6th May 2005, 20:44
why not just ask the cadre staff- wait whats in this funny cigarette- its making my mind all fuzzy

Bosco
6th May 2005, 23:47
why not just ask the cadre staff- wait whats in this funny cigarette- its making my mind all fuzzy

Them too

happenin
9th May 2005, 13:54
Only in the last months i've actually managed to aquire the last few lesson plans and cheers to the bloke who gave them to me.
Your welcome. I have more if ya want. I totally see your point. If i didn't get what i have off ppl in other units i wouldn't have half of it. Lets hope the training forum helps sort out that problem

Bam Bam
9th May 2005, 14:28
I'd love to look at the intranet.
When was it set up?
Who is allowed access it?

trellheim
9th May 2005, 16:20
Not you.

The comment about E Bde orderly rooms is wrong.