PDA

View Full Version : Were you in the NS back in the days......

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

moggy
11th April 2005, 21:00
Murph
You Should Apply For Naval Priest Position

ELVIS
11th April 2005, 22:47
He's completely right though.

hptmurphy
11th April 2005, 23:01
Easily knowing that you weren't of the seamens fraternity that has to clean up after all these visitors!

ELVIS
11th April 2005, 23:07
I agreed with you Murph not moggy. Theres nothing worse than somebody climbing up the gangway claiming she/he's entitled to a tour because he/she pays his taxes and shouting abuse, when you have absolutely no input whatsoever into the decision.

sba
12th April 2005, 13:54
Ah...but I found that back in the 80's especially, an armed sentry appearing on the flagdeck usually quietened any of the rabble shouting abuse! Nothing quite like the look on their face when they glance up to see an armed sentry looking down on them!

moggy
12th April 2005, 20:47
murph
we all did cleaning up, the moogy even helped sometimes

Laners
12th April 2005, 21:39
You should have seen the amount of beer glasses to clean up after some of the sessions in New York

combatlogo
12th April 2005, 21:46
I agreed with you Murph not moggy. Theres nothing worse than somebody climbing up the gangway claiming she/he's entitled to a tour because he/she pays his taxes and shouting abuse, when you have absolutely no input whatsoever into the decision.

Yeah, as much as I used to give swabbies a hard time, for the Sailors, the ship is their barracks and there is no base maintenance or emergency services to call when something breaks.

As for punters climbing up the gangway demanding a tour, I can think of a very quick solution for that.

Goldie fish
12th April 2005, 22:33
I used to get that on the cargo ship too,people would see the tricolour and automatically assume they would be entertained aboard,as if it were some floating bar.

Nothing more annoying than tourists peeping through your porthole when you are tryin to get some kip before departing on the evening tide...

yooklid
12th April 2005, 23:16
As for punters climbing up the gangway demanding a tour, I can think of a very quick solution for that.

I think that one of your solutions would cause more problems than it would solve.

hptmurphy
12th April 2005, 23:31
Moggy...i can only ever remember yourself and cullinane cleaning the bridge and that little space of lino outside the comcen. For a patricks day in Dublin in 1988 we were sorely dericent in glasses and the mess comitte issued an insruction that all mess members would have two return wit aleasr two galss each if we were to have sufficient glass for the evenings fetivities,,,guys brought back black plastc bags full orfwhich were promptly dumped over thside when the glasses we empty....hundereds of glasses were dumped

moggy
13th April 2005, 20:46
Moggy...i can only ever remember yourself and cullinane cleaning the bridge and that little space of lino outside the comcen. For a patricks day in Dublin in 1988 we were sorely dericent in glasses and the mess comitte issued an insruction that all mess members would have two return wit aleasr two galss each if we were to have sufficient glass for the evenings fetivities,,,guys brought back black plastc bags full orfwhich were promptly dumped over thside when the glasses we empty....hundereds of glasses were dumped

Yes with the new cox george jefferies it was decided that mary's clean bridge and
outside jockey's cabin and comcen this was great, but on the other hand we did help
the mess man clean up after hours, especially if it had to be dumped overboard
Jockey was a good skipper no hassle from him
is he still around???
the Helo test flight in france was carried out by fully qualified test pilots but bringing them on the piss the night before didn't help. several pairs of a/corps pants was ruined on that
trip. the was near the end of the Air corps or near enough.
they insisted on commanding the tels cabin which you know is right beside the gyro
and proberally the steadist part of eithne, but this was refused by officers they were not very happy living up by the heads

hptmurphy
13th April 2005, 21:18
Jockey is well retired at this stage.And the TELs ..or what ever they are called now still live in the same accomadation.

Goldie fish
14th April 2005, 20:46
Have a pic of a very young Lt Jockey,still with hair...in the fantastis NSR scrapbook collection.

He is "semi retired"...

moggy
14th April 2005, 20:55
go ahead send

Laners
14th April 2005, 21:50
I seem to remember that there was a 2 berth cabin just out side the wardroom which was refered to and designated as the pilots cabin ? and the cabin down by the gyro was for the airmen , bunch of wankers anyway . I ,ll never forget the look on an Air Corps Corprals face when he was told that his mess was the junior ratings mess ,George Jefferies the cox realy enjoyed telling the guy that, speaking of George Jefferies , Moggy , do you remember the night a 4 inch fire house was placed in his cabin while he was asleep and then turned on .

Laners
14th April 2005, 21:59
There needs to be a new tread created here just for stories in relation to Eithne , we may end up with enough material to write a book , and yes , Jocky Jordan was a great skipper ,and I often wondered if the varoius skippers and officers where aware of their nicknames and what their reaction would be on finding out

Goldie fish
14th April 2005, 22:36
Jockeys sons call him jockey...

The Pilots cabin is now heads(quite appropriate).

Goldie fish
15th April 2005, 10:11
Have a pic of a very young Lt Jockey,still with hair...in the fantastic NSR scrapbook collection.

He is "semi retired"...

Thanks again to Sluggie and Co for the use of these excellent pictures.

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/9B/15/46957979-1dfc-02000134-.jpg
http://a0.cpimg.com/image/9C/15/46957980-4bf6-0200018D-.jpg

One of these days I'm going to meet him on the street,and he'll have heard what we are sayin about him..and i'll get one of those looks... :frown:

Steamy Window
15th April 2005, 10:27
can you tell us anything more about the pics, i.e when and why they were taken?

moggy
15th April 2005, 19:44
There needs to be a new tread created here just for stories in relation to Eithne , we may end up with enough material to write a book , and yes , Jocky Jordan was a great skipper ,and I often wondered if the varoius skippers and officers where aware of their nicknames and what their reaction would be on finding out

They all knew nicknames allright, When georges cabin was flooded, George carr came flying down to the tels cabin and started screaming at bullet head who was blamed but had nothing to do with it, it was done by the p/o dusty, ( i think who is now a sir in the air corps) jefferies shit his pants he throught the eithne was sinking a funny night especially seeing him roaring in his jocks (some sight)
jockey had a good laugh,

hptmurphy
15th April 2005, 20:59
Who was the PO Dusty..I remember 'Ted The Red 'as the SPO........ahhhhhhhhhh! bollocks.

Bullet head ..and Aggie the cook ..what a pair!

Laners
16th April 2005, 01:42
Ted was a senior/ P O and I dought he had it in him to do something like that. The two prime suspects where both P/Os < can I name names ?> but nothing was proven ,The day befor was St Paddies day and the ship was anchored off of Rathmullen , too rough to get alongside or use liberty boats, so a pretty big session on board . I ended up im an outfit dressed as a sheep and visited each rec room yelling BLAAA BLAAA got chased throug the ship by a drunken mob , sought refuge in the wardroom pantry and was cornered , so into the wardroom I went , BLAAA BLAAA and out the door . heard a lot of lauging from the wardroom and Jocky thought it was great craic

Goldie fish
16th April 2005, 01:46
Sometimes,I'm glad I didn't join the Navy....

Laners
16th April 2005, 02:14
All that duty free , do they still have it ?

Laners
16th April 2005, 02:32
Jockeys sons call him jockey...

The Pilots cabin is now heads(quite appropriate).
No , that was always the officers head and washplace .

moggy
16th April 2005, 16:31
No , that was always the officers head and washplace .

Actually it was not ted, the p/o in question was a writer (no names)
Goldie see what you missed in the 80's
Basil knew his nickname alright, he asked me one night to bring a message up to basil on the bridge on grainne via the loud speaker (enough said)

Laners
16th April 2005, 18:58
How could we forget Basil

hptmurphy
16th April 2005, 19:27
Yeah I know who your talking about now......we could nearly start a Naval Service nickname thread

ELVIS
17th April 2005, 17:13
All that duty free , do they still have it ?
yes but not in huge quantities. Its usually limited to a box of bud and a bottle of wine if your lucky. :mad:

lefty
17th April 2005, 19:42
The navy life sounds like great craic. Sure theres bad points to it to but from what i read here it sounds like the best career in the world. Officers/Enlisted men having a laugh together sounds good dunno if ud see much of that in the army. Suppose its coz u all have to live together for weeks n weeks. Anyway navy sounds the dogs bolox

moggy
17th April 2005, 20:24
The navy life sounds like great craic. Sure theres bad points to it to but from what i read here it sounds like the best career in the world. Officers/Enlisted men having a laugh together sounds good dunno if ud see much of that in the army. Suppose its coz u all have to live together for weeks n weeks. Anyway navy sounds the dogs bolox

A lot of stuff we did in the 80's would not be allowed now, especially drinking in the mess
i hear this is all controlled now , there was no mots on ships back then, there is now
you have to be very carefull???

Laners
17th April 2005, 21:20
There was probly too much drinking back but how could you not at .50 pence a pint I think it was. You only relised how much you drank for the week when Ted Bradly slipped you bar bill for the week under your cabin door .Ted was the bar manager for the senior rates mess and did not drink so he was perfect for the job , but i think he got some sick satisfaction in handing out the bills . There would be howls of protest from the mess members about their bills especialy from Doggie Keany rip, and blleedin George Carr both of whom seemed to have bills for about twice as much as everyone else .

hptmurphy
18th April 2005, 00:31
Imagine what happened when he took over the canteen aboard......I don't think anything was ever paid for in cash..everything was on tick.

Excessive drinking was easy given that it was only 45p per pint...a fiver for two hundred fags.

Laners
18th April 2005, 02:48
Well I was close about the price of a pint at least , and Ted took over the canteen I,m not surprised , the gummy bastard , but he was a great dusty, he could write off anything and provide you with anything within reason and sometimes beyond . He had a greath undestanding of the ration scale and how to work it and around it and as a P/O COOK I never had to worry about how mouch to use each day thanks to him . Belive it or not he would always say , Just feed them , don,t worry about ther rations , I,ll take care of that

sba
18th April 2005, 09:12
Hey! Sounds like ye all had a great dusty! We had "The Famine Master" on Emer , a guy who could work more miracles with food than the late great JC himself! Talk about sticking to the ration scale!! This guy would feed 10,000 on a loaf of bread and a pint of milk, then look surprised if you asked for more!! The PO Dusty on the other hand on P20 was a pure gent. Always able to work the ration scale in the crews favour, and make sure we had plenty of grub.

I know what you mean about not getting away now with what we got away with back in the 80's moggy. Back then, some patrols were quite lively when it came to getting ashore. As an SBA, I was well used to being woken in the wee small hours of a Sunday morning, when one or other of the ships company "fell" while ashore! Great times though. Wouldnt swap those memories for anything. Anyone here remember GHQ in Dun Laoire when four ships were alongside, and a small argument broke out in one of the pubs ? As far as I can remember, ourselves (Deirdre), Emer, Aisling, and I think it was Aoife, were there.

hptmurphy
18th April 2005, 16:20
Aha ...now I can put a face to the name...Laners was the PO Cook when I joined the Eithne...and he wasn't a bad one either .Bradley had near miracle qualities when it came to supplying stuff and besisdes the gruff exterior he always had the welfare of the crew at heart....I think ...if he had a heart.

SBA at least you were to found when needed.....The two medics I remember on the Eithne...not the first one....were never to be found.One guy was nicknamed 'Miley' because of his fruit and veg round and was the first breeder of tropical fish that I ever met......The second shall we say was a little light on the loafers with a lisp.

Sluggie
18th April 2005, 16:28
An endless supply of free fresh fish was always a great supplement to the ration scale. If a dusty had the crews' interest at heart it gave him room to get little luxuries for the PO/Ck. There's always grub left out for snacks these days so you can raid the galley 24hrs.

sba
18th April 2005, 16:30
Ah Murph...I know who you are referring to with regard to the lisp!....Strange bloke, who shall remain nameless on this board! Think he's still serving....God help the lads!!!!!!!

hptmurphy
18th April 2005, 22:23
In fairness even back then grub was never in short supply at least on the Eithne,especially when at se. Breakfast was self sevice, lunch was quiet substasial,lasagne ,salad,curry ,spag bol...and dinner in the veening was invaiable a good meal There was usuallly tarts or some such left out supper...and night rations for the night watches. All this could be supplemented by regular trips to the canteen which was well stock with all sorts of goodies.

The situation alongside was a little diffent but again a trip to the base canteen for a toasted sandwich and a cup of tea was always an option ...all in all we fare exceptionally well except when some wanker...Debbie Byrne, put black pudding in the coddle and the out come was disgraceful. You ain;t had christmas diner till you had it on the Eithne. Never have I seen so much grub for so few people

Laners
19th April 2005, 01:09
Murph, I will take it as a compliment that I was not bad , black pudding pudding in a coddle , now that sounds pretty bad, I just hope it was not a cook from Dublin that did that , and yes Christmas Day was a great time onboard as was Easter . The great thing about cooks in the Navy is that they live and work with everyone one board and go ashore with them on liberty, unlike the cooks in the Army who seem to all live off barracks and are more concerned with getting the hell out of the place with as much rations as they can conceal in their pockets and sports bags . As for the Army School of Catering at Mc Kee , what a joke . The only good thing about it was that I was home in Dublin.

yooklid
19th April 2005, 02:10
....unlike the cooks in the Army who seem to all live off barracks and are more concerned with getting the hell out of the place with as much rations as they can conceal in their pockets and sports bags . As for the Army School of Catering at Mc Kee , what a joke . The only good thing about it was that I was home in Dublin.

Reminds me of my recruit camp in Kilkenny. We had "Spaghetti Bolognese" - ie spaghetti, mincemeat and carrots...

sparky
19th April 2005, 02:33
th army cooks make a great stew , then again thats all they make, so they have plenty of practice

sba
19th April 2005, 06:38
One of the best cooks I ever had the pleasure of sailing with was a guy nicknamed "Jaffa". Great cook , especially in bad weather, but also a great character...nothing quite like his rendition of "dirty old town" after he had consumed some alcohol....not sure where he is now, but hope he's doing well

Overall, I think the cooks in the NS do a great job...up in all sorts of crap weather, working in fairly hot conditions, looking after everyone....anyone who knocks a Navy cook, hasnt a clue what they are talking about.....and the same must go for the cooks I served with overseas....great bunch of lads, who would go out of their way to make sure everyone was fed and watered....only bad experiences I've had with cooks was here at home!...wonder why that was????

hptmurphy
19th April 2005, 15:50
Ah ! sba thats taking it a bit far ...there were naval cooks who should have been strung from a yard arm...

Laners I served with three PO cooks On the Eithne and in fairness you were the best.....and yes the black pudding coddle was at the hands of a Dubliner....its ok ..he was formerly a seaman.

Navy cooks definetly desreve respect given the conditions they work under ...well done to one and all.

yooklid
19th April 2005, 17:20
Maybe this thread should be renamed to "old salts"

Laners
19th April 2005, 19:12
SBA was that cook named Jaffa from Dublin and what ship did you serve onboard with him .

Laners
19th April 2005, 20:27
SBA was that cook named Jaffa from Dublin and what ship did you serve onboard with him .
Actualy I know who you are talking about, his name is Deleted By Mod , also known as Fender Head, he had a mop of red hair like an afro , the nickname was to do with the old style fenders. He is married with 3 kids and lives about 30 min from me just outside of Chicago , still sings Rare Auld Times dosen,t drink like before He had a triple bypass heart surgery few yrs back and doing very well .I must tell him about this site .

moggy
19th April 2005, 20:27
The navy made bods
dipso's, some should of been sent to dryout centres before discharge, i Know a number of them
believe it or not are homeless now???

yooklid
19th April 2005, 20:28
May want to edit out his name before the mod does!

moggy
19th April 2005, 20:30
Fender head what a name, I remember the red hair alright,

moggy
19th April 2005, 20:36
murph in all fairness they tries their best, i know some of them should of been thrown overboard
but on the sweepers they did try,

Laners
19th April 2005, 21:22
Well if it was your Birthday you could expect to get dumped over the side when alongside and a bucket or two of water when at sea I have a great photo of one of my cooks , Aggie , getting the treatment on the afterdeck on the Eithne .

hptmurphy
20th April 2005, 00:16
I have another one of Lmech Cuchie doyle doing the splash covered in swarfega abd greasi before he went on his ticket.when the made name deleted a chef alwas lost...but Po name deleted sayed the day.

then there was name deleted who refused to cook at sea and had to be sent back in....good cook ashore deid of sea sickness useless at sea...it was really a vocation in those days.

laners do you remember name deleted,,,he cooks for us in 3 Cav fca now...another good operator and what a singer.

Laners
20th April 2005, 01:29
name deleted ? it may come to me later . The story about name deletedis a good one cannot even imagine him being considered for sea service , A damm good cook all right but he spent so many yrs in the Officers Mess in the Base he must have felt he was well " in " , obviously not . Just another one those of Mon to Fri 8 to 4 types . I just remembered a good reason why he did not want to be at sea but I better not mention it here . If you want to know just e mail me .

Gunner Who?
20th April 2005, 03:58
The school of Buns in Mckee is a great facility , top class , whoever had the drive to design it and get it built in the face of the men who failed the Del Monte course.No No No a thousand times no!! was a very special man. It really is a super place.

On the ration scale, there never was much wrong with the scale. I was on a Q course one . the lecturer was a PA CQMS and his words always stood well to me. "There is nothing wrong with the ration scale. If the food is bad ,if you are getting mince more than once a week, then someone is robbing the rations. Its that simple."

On the School again. when my Unit had food that nearly caused a riot one man was sent to the school and was taken under the wing of BQMS name deleted the senior NCO in the school at the time.
Since then the food wherever we went has been brilliant. The mooto of our catering mob is " We feed anyone ,anywhere.anytime."

Laners
20th April 2005, 05:01
I done a few courses under name deleted and a very dedicated man he was , especialy when you consider that he traveled each day to Mc Kee from Ballymon on his Honda 50 in all weathers . As for the ration scale as outdated as it seems it does actualy works pretty well when handled by people with a sense of dedication and comradeship , unfortunality there is this mentality in the Defence Forces of cooks being a law unto them selves ,and it seems to be more prevelant in the Army , taking the best stuff of base/ barrecks for family and friends. Sorry to single out the Army but that was how I saw it

sba
20th April 2005, 06:45
Hi Laners....

great to hear Jaffa is alive and well...yep, he had a mop of red hair...I was on Emer with him, back in the mid-80's. Great character altogether...

Now Now Murph! No need to be slagging the Skibereen Marine! Is he still serving? Now if you ever want to see tatoo's, then he's the guy to look at...always found it a bit weird though, seeing Connie serving food with all his tatoo's up his arms!

Goldie fish
20th April 2005, 08:29
Lads,Please don't post peoples real names on the board! I Have had to delete loads of them here,these characters may not take kindly to their reputation being discussed on a public forum for the WHOLE WORLD to see.

sparky
20th April 2005, 14:00
connie is serving food up on the niamh and keeping the crew well entertained

sba
20th April 2005, 15:53
Hi Murph

Just a quick one....some of the lads were talking about holding a 20th anniversary re-union (as most people will disperse when they have their 21 complete). Not sure if anything is actually happening about it, but I'll keep you informed....

hptmurphy
20th April 2005, 16:23
If you knew the Skibereen Marine and one of the others ..still serving with me...these guys were charachters beyond belief..in fact the marine features on my web page wearing a bra liberated from a young lady in Dunlaoighre...I remember the cox'n commenting ...you could call her 'Baby' and mean it.
The marine had formelly worked for Irish shipping and had been marooned in Marseilles for the 12 months...the tales were wonderful. He was?is one of the most colourful charachters you ever met....Laners he joined Eithne the same time I did and we shared a cabin with another characher...Leading seaman with the same surname as my self who was know to ride a motorbike naked...but thats another story.

A reunion is that wise...will our certain detained at the governments pleasure friend be invited I wonder. jesus i wonder how we would even contact some of these guys. :biggrin:

Laners
20th April 2005, 18:27
It may have to be held at a secret location

moggy
20th April 2005, 21:14
Make it the base or cobh, proberally cobh remember it is a secret

sba
21st April 2005, 06:46
Lol....well...hopefully, our "certain detained at the governments pleasure friend" will remain where he is for a long long time....but that's another story which we perhaps shouldnt go into here! Was wondering alright how you would even contact most of these guys...after all, there was 110 in that recruit intake! Do they take in that many recruits now?

hptmurphy
21st April 2005, 22:42
Nope that was the biggest intake ever and has yet to be surpassed.

The best we could hope for is every body to make contact with who they know....and then with the families of those who have moved on....maybe we could get somebody in area records to make contact with their last known address and work from there. This would require official sanction as this type of info is protected by the data protection act.

Apart from the guy mentioned above we will be down another former member....have to be sensitive to things like that.You might PM me with who is still active and see can we track down some of the missing.

We need to get officialdom on our side to get it sorted....roll on Novemeber...could be in jail for christmas.

moggy
27th April 2005, 20:00
duty free gone mess still open but under heavy supervision remember dublin

golfjuliet
16th May 2006, 21:06
Just to clear something up there boys it was NOT PO Dusty who flooded the cabin and Jefferies never shit his pants that night because he knew it wasnt sinking. Lads ye should get the facts right before you go saying things. Oh I have a wealth of stories for ya that would make your hair curl. Can you tell me who the three legged man dancing for the yanks was on the Eithne during the Air India search????????

moggy
16th May 2006, 21:18
Just to clear something up there boys it was NOT PO Dusty who flooded the cabin and Jefferies never shit his pants that night because he knew it wasnt sinking. Lads ye should get the facts right before you go saying things. Oh I have a wealth of stories for ya that would make your hair curl. Can you tell me who the three legged man dancing for the yanks was on the Eithne during the Air India search????????

Give up - who??

hptmurphy
16th May 2006, 22:56
Go on tell us....this needs to be in the public domain....talking of flooding cabins..mine used to flood regulary....and some times from the top down. once seen a leading Sig with a very famous name dragged throught the vent in the botton of the doors by a lunatic L mech...now a chief ..and a leading seaman...on the same night I had all my clthing removed sideways...and was treated to a luxiouruous bath of hai styling foam..while in my own sleeping bag!

The OOW..now a commader..then an Lt visited the scen to equire of the goings on to be advised if he took his enquiries any further he could look forward to the same treatment.

really couldn't see any of that happening now!..pity really ..it was all good abuse and totally mad!

GoneToTheCanner
16th May 2006, 23:11
Hi all
HPT, where's your webpage at? Funny, for lads who don't like the Donners, there were at least two Navy men who came to the Don, for good, in my time.One an ERA and the other was, I think, Signals. Our heli lads used to extract great mileage out of some of you lot by referring to the heads as the jax, the deck as the floor,etc.Never failed. Maybe, if they had been made welcome, they might have wanted to stay...
regards
GttC

moggy
17th May 2006, 10:30
Hi all
HPT, where's your webpage at? Funny, for lads who don't like the Donners, there were at least two Navy men who came to the Don, for good, in my time.One an ERA and the other was, I think, Signals. Our heli lads used to extract great mileage out of some of you lot by referring to the heads as the jax, the deck as the floor,etc.Never failed. Maybe, if they had been made welcome, they might have wanted to stay...
regards
GttC

they were very welcome on eithne, got good new cabins - pity they didn't stay and when the weather got bad they flew back to the don - but were made feel welcome on board

GoneToTheCanner
17th May 2006, 17:04
Hi Moggy
Judging by the underlying strain of some of the threads here, they were about as welcome as a heart attack. Well, it went both ways,too. From some of my ex-colleagues who went aboard, they hated being on the ship and being , so they say, seasick all the time. the fundamental flaw with the whole operation was the Air Corps control of it. It should have been all-Navy or nothing.Going back to Bal for a routine 50-hr was a joke.
As for the messing arrangements,I heard the story about getting "messed" with ratings from one who was there. His take on it was that, whilst he didn't mind eating with the ratings, he did mind what he felt was an attitude that his rank was of less "value" because of his youth and percieved experience. In the Don at the time, it wasn't unusual to be an NCO at an earlier age than a comparable Army or Navy NCO. I had mine up after six years in, because the job required persons signing off aircraft to be NCOs. This used to draw adverse comment from the Army-originating NCOs in Baldonnel and from Army personnel encountered outside Baldonnel. As far as I'm aware, there was also conflict about duty pay, leave, flight pay, duty hours,etc that were never resolved to everybody's satisfaction.
regards
GttC

Laners
17th May 2006, 19:33
Well I was there for the Air India as well , so who was the three legged dancer ?

Truck Driver
18th May 2006, 18:56
Well done you lads... you've given me such a laugh reading the old stories in this
thread...

hptmurphy
19th May 2006, 12:38
six rears in..lol..most guys in the NS signed on for a second term as L hands...the average age of LS in the NS back in those days was a bout 23...we even had one 19 year old NS..so I cant see that holding much water to behonest...

they never really spent long enough out to get to know us..ahd they lived with us and become part of the crew...might have been a different story

Able
19th May 2006, 19:50
Hey! Sounds like ye all had a great dusty! We had "The Famine Master" on Emer , a guy who could work more miracles with food than the late great JC himself! Talk about sticking to the ration scale!! This guy would feed 10,000 on a loaf of bread and a pint of milk, then look surprised if you asked for more!! The PO Dusty on the other hand on P20 was a pure gent. Always able to work the ration scale in the crews favour, and make sure we had plenty of grub.

I know what you mean about not getting away now with what we got away with back in the 80's moggy. Back then, some patrols were quite lively when it came to getting ashore. As an SBA, I was well used to being woken in the wee small hours of a Sunday morning, when one or other of the ships company "fell" while ashore! Great times though. Wouldnt swap those memories for anything. Anyone here remember GHQ in Dun Laoire when four ships were alongside, and a small argument broke out in one of the pubs ? As far as I can remember, ourselves (Deirdre), Emer, Aisling, and I think it was Aoife, were there.

What SBA forgot to mention was that once the pubs closed in town that night the only bar left open was on the Ferry to Hollyhead........ needless to say the return ferry got back to Dun laoire about 45 min before the Emer let go.......... just made it.

Sluggie
21st May 2006, 03:09
Surely "Liberty is confined to the presicnts of the port"!!!

hptmurphy
21st May 2006, 03:31
hee hee....I rememeber having to jump after the lines had left the wall more than once...remember going to isle of man on four hours sailing notice to get some tatoo's and not being left off the ferry for being twisted.....h'mm wonder who was with us on that trip....!

Able
25th May 2006, 16:39
Surely "Liberty is confined to the presicnts of the port"!!!

"Surely" it is.......... some day you'll understand!

Test Pilot
10th April 2007, 21:21
[quote=hptmurphy;123682]Go on tell us....this needs to be in the public domain....talking of flooding cabins..mine used to flood regulary....and some times from the top down. once seen a leading Sig with a very famous name dragged throught the vent in the botton of the doors by a lunatic L mech...now a chief ..and a leading seaman...on the same night I had all my clthing removed sideways...and was treated to a luxiouruous bath of hai styling foam..while in my own sleeping bag!

The OOW..now a commader..then an Lt visited the scen to equire of the goings on to be advised if he took his enquiries any further he could look forward to the same treatment.

Murph, I'm still laughing here! I was there that night - I remember it well!

I also know the three legged dancer - do you remember a certain po/ea? and the guy doing Paisley reading fire and brimstone on the afterdeck in Dun Laoghaire!

Test Pilot
10th April 2007, 22:22
Moggy, you are correct! it was not the PO Dusty who flooded the Coxn's cabin! I won't say here who it was, but he was motivated to do it by the C/ERA at the time after a big session! The PO Writer who was wrongly accused at the time, was taken off the ship and missed the trip to the States. That was an injustice!

Laners, I just figured out who you are mate! Great times were had on that ship. Hope life is going well for you! I have a picture of you dressed up as a Pirate as part of a play which Caleb put on while the ship was on the way to the States. I remember a certain chippy was also rehearsing in the hanger that day when the QM appeared and told him the captain wanted him in his cabin to fix something! His reply was ' TELL HIM I'M BUSY' :biggrin:

moggy
12th April 2007, 21:43
Laners, I just figured out who you are mate! Great times were had on that ship. Hope life is going well for you! I have a picture of you dressed up as a Pirate as part of a play which Caleb put on while the ship was on the way to the States. I remember a certain chippy was also rehearsing in the hanger that day when the QM appeared and told him the captain wanted him in his cabin to fix something! His reply was ' TELL HIM I'M BUSY' :biggrin:

Check this out![/QUOTE]

jesus - look at bullet head in the front - some picture
great stuff - where is the rest of the pictures??

Test Pilot
12th April 2007, 22:08
'Stand By One', Moggy I have to dig them out and scan them!

Test Pilot
12th April 2007, 23:17
'Stand By One', Moggy I have to dig them out and scan them!

Still got your hair Moggy!

hptmurphy
13th April 2007, 00:05
jesus I could name a few of tem..see poor old Minnie Carrol rip in the comcen.
heres the : http://homepage.eircom.net/~pigincharge/naval_service.htm

no reponsibility hed for anywhat of what anybody was getting up to.

moggy
13th April 2007, 12:40
jesus I could name a few of tem..see poor old Minnie Carrol rip in the comcen.
heres the : http://homepage.eircom.net/~pigincharge/naval_service.htm

no reponsibility hed for anywhat of what anybody was getting up to.

negative on the hair - if you think i am bad wait till you see bullet head's brain
total comms failure of hair

Able
13th April 2007, 16:23
Murph, anyone ever hear from Mugger or Cousins.... Some year we should get together, How much trouble could we get in :rolleyes: ?
Moggy, Thats some picture on the Aft deck... Was John Smith a Mech?
Its a surpise the Eithne ever got off the Oil wharf with that crew. quite a few mavricks in there (I can say that, I was one)!

Test Pilot
13th April 2007, 21:04
[quote=hptmurphy;158482]jesus I could name a few of tem..see poor old Minnie Carrol rip in the comcen.

quote]
Murpf, I had forgotten that Minnie had passed on ! He was a great bit of stuff! I can still hear his accent. As I was saying to Moggy, I can't believe that it's around 25 years ago that these pic's were taken - time flies!

moggy
13th April 2007, 21:14
[quote=hptmurphy;158482]jesus I could name a few of tem..see poor old Minnie Carrol rip in the comcen.

quote]
Murpf, I had forgotten that Minnie had passed on ! He was a great bit of stuff! I can still hear his accent. As I was saying to Moggy, I can't believe that it's around 25 years ago that these pic's were taken - time flies!

thats smithey alright - went into computer in dublin for a while haven't seen him in years
he was a mech on eithne - i think the person that is submitting these is "badger "the official camera man for this trip???

Test Pilot
13th April 2007, 21:54
[quote=Test Pilot;158640]

thats smithey alright - went into computer in dublin for a while haven't seen him in years
he was a mech on eithne - i think the person that is submitting these is "badger "the official camera man for this trip???

Nope! Shall I send you a pic of him! He was the video man on that states trip! I got to keep all the roll's of film for the stills shots.

Test Pilot
13th April 2007, 22:37
[quote=Test Pilot;158656][quote=moggy;158646]

In the 'famous five pic', which guy lost his teeth one night while 'gawking' over the side? If you wish to guess the answer, please send €50 a guess to me! Thanks in advance!

moggy
14th April 2007, 11:49
[quote=Test Pilot;158656][quote=moggy;158646]

In the 'famous five pic', which guy lost his teeth one night while 'gawking' over the side? If you wish to guess the answer, please send €50 a guess to me! Thanks in advance!

The guy in the middle was a steward from dublin on the trip
Iwould say the seaman now a p/o( no name given)
lost his choppers??

ps who is the flight officer on that picture is it "pod"

Test Pilot
14th April 2007, 12:01
[quote=Test Pilot;158661][quote=Test Pilot;158656]

The guy in the middle was a steward from dublin on the trip
Iwould say the seaman now a p/o( no name given)
lost his choppers??

ps who is the flight officer on that picture is it "pod"

Gimmie the money!
No it was not that chap!

Sorry, no I don't think this one is pod! It's anothr guy who is now a captain of one of the ships - can't remember his name at the moment.

ocean
14th April 2007, 12:56
FDO is Martin Counihan I think he is in the College now

Test Pilot
14th April 2007, 13:35

Ocean, you are spot on ! thats him.

moggy
14th April 2007, 14:33
ocean you are right now that i think of it -it was Eugene Clonin who joined the coast guard

Sluggie
14th April 2007, 21:39

He's SONSR.

Goldie fish
14th April 2007, 21:46
Lads, Lads, go easy on the namedropping. Some of those guys are trying to convince their wives that they are away at sea all the time...

Laners
15th April 2007, 12:02
The Video guy on the States trip was a a PO / Sig from the Base , Terry ?< also known as a passanger > whatever happened to all the video footage or was the camera empty ,I remember the crew returning from liberty in New York by ferry boat while an official reception was just winding up onboard Eithne which was very humerous and he was filming the crew arriving onboard to the amusement of the guests .

Test Pilot
15th April 2007, 14:15
The Video guy on the States trip was a a PO / Sig from the Base , Terry ?< also known as a passanger > whatever happened to all the video footage or was the camera empty ,I remember the crew returning from liberty in New York by ferry boat while an official reception was just winding up onboard Eithne which was very humerous and he was filming the crew arriving onboard to the amusement of the guests .

Hi Laners,

Hi Laners! I remember a young cook (one of your lot) missed the last launch back from the pier in Manhattan in the early hours of the morning. While he was sitting on a bollard in uniform, a US admiral and his party arrived to depart to their ship, which was an aircraft carrier. The Admiral stopped and very kindly asked the cook what ship he was from and had he missed the last launch. He replied that he had, so the Admiral offered him a lift back to the Eithne as it was on their way.

As protocol dictates, a vessel wishing to come along side another naval ship would call the intended ship before hand. Permission was sought and granted for the Admirals Barge to come along side. However, there was a scurry in the ward room when they heard that an admiral of the US fleet was intending to come aboard, and a piping party was quickly arranged. Officers rushed for the appropriate uniform, and one was heard to say:’ should we wear swords or not’ The welcoming party fell in on the port side and came to attention and began the cermony as the cook stepped on board. The admirals barge disappeared in to the night as a rather 'sheepish' cook headed off to his mess!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I’m all for showing respect to people!

Yes the pic does prove we were in New York!<o:p></o:p>

moggy
15th April 2007, 14:28
he was not on his own - bullet head ended up on one of the carriers or a mjor ship also came back on same launch with famous cook ha ha

Laners
15th April 2007, 15:07
That it is pretty much as it happened , although I seem to remember we where all fell in on the flight deck for divisions in the morning when the Admirals barge came along side with a certain skinny red headed cook in the barge having a coffee and a doughnut with the Admiral .

hptmurphy
16th April 2007, 13:27
I wasn't there but that was Aggie alright.....the Cook boxer from Dundalk or some where like that...recognises Frankie the mech fom midelton..and fat fitzy the seaman who was also very adept with a camera.

On the focsle...I know the seaman..the officer I can put a name too...but is that Matty the left of centre medic?

hedgehog
16th April 2007, 13:36
that is an amazing story

i bet you lads laughed all the way home

was there any come back / retribution for it

hptmurphy
16th April 2007, 13:41
Well of course there was..when you have the flag officer standing at the top of the gangway waiting to greet a yank admiral..and the first thing he sees is foxy drunken cook from his own ship ..what do you think......it was almost the re introduction of keel hauling.

Ok since we are on the nostalgia trip..who was the memeber of the comms branch caught making all the phone calls home from the shiop while in New York

Who remembers the incident with a certain foxy mech with a stammer in Bermuda and the motor scooter.....?

twenty ones years later and its all coming out...

Test Pilot
16th April 2007, 14:19
Who remembers the incident with a certain foxy mech with a stammer in Bermuda and the motor scooter.....?

twenty ones years later and its all coming out...[/quote]

Yes, it was foxy Jim, who was caught driving a moped, in a drunken state, down a one way street! The police could not get any sense out of him at all!

We left our mark there for sure. Check this out, it's our resident graphiti artist! Phil Charcoal Gray.

Test Pilot
16th April 2007, 14:38
I wasn't there but that was Aggie alright.....the Cook boxer from Dundalk or some where like that...recognises Frankie the mech fom midelton..and fat fitzy the seaman who was also very adept with a camera.

On the focsle...I know the seaman..the officer I can put a name too...but is that Matty the left of centre medic?

Yes, Thats Matty B. Sad that the two towers have gone too!

moggy
16th April 2007, 18:16
Yes, Thats Matty B. Sad that the two towers have gone too!

made calls to certain heads who were on that trip nobody remembers a person losing
their choppers - they lost more then that.
we were using morse code then to dublin and rf telephone calls thru nb -who went bananas on the phone in NY not me i hope?? I did see a copy of the bill??
not nice - everybody had to pay for the landline that we installed alongside??

Test Pilot
16th April 2007, 21:09
made calls to certain heads who were on that trip nobody remembers a person losing
their choppers - they lost more then that.
we were using morse code then to dublin and rf telephone calls thru nb -who went bananas on the phone in NY not me i hope?? I did see a copy of the bill??
not nice - everybody had to pay for the landline that we installed alongside??

I seem to remember that one guy jumped ship in Boston having falling in love, and that two more, flew back to Boston after the ship docked in Cobh and one guy I know was going out for about three years,with a girl he met in Boston. On the last trip to the states, the same girl was amazed to see the Eithne there again after all these years and enquired of her former partner from one of the crew who delivered the message back home! Small world!

The guy who lost his choppers was Frankie the mech! And now that you mention it, I do recall some shit about the phone bill!

hptmurphy
17th April 2007, 00:22
Can't for the life of me put a name on who it was but I remember the guy going on orders well after the trip...Popeye was the OC at the time.

I rememeber a similar incident with an American bird and a certain unamed mech from Cobh pulled in Galway.....she turned up in Cobh..and of course the mech un named disowned her straight away...and yours truly here got paid the princley sum of twenty quid to take her out buy her a few points and tell her yer man had deserted or some such..which was all very fine until she turned up in Cobh on the June weekend of 1988 complete with the entire family..we were alongside in Cobh for an ONE conference....ooops!

Laners
17th April 2007, 20:51
I seem to remember one of the scooters went off the quay wall during a game of chicken beteween a certain CPO/ERA and a L/Electrician or was I mistaken , but that scooter looked very waterlogged sitting on the quay wall in Bermuda .

moggy
18th April 2007, 14:46
I seem to remember one of the scooters went off the quay wall during a game of chicken beteween a certain CPO/ERA and a L/Electrician or was I mistaken , but that scooter looked very waterlogged sitting on the quay wall in Bermuda .

i wrote my off -drove into wall while quite drunk - just as well i had insurance was glad to get off the island

Test Pilot
18th April 2007, 20:33
The one really great thing I do remember, was that the local coloured community came aboard the ship, just before we departed, in the early hours while we were on harbour stations. They went straight to the bridge and shook hands with every one they met and to wish us well! They were very genuine about it. We seemed to have made a great impression with them!
The reason I think was that we treated them as one of our own. I would have to say that it was down to one incident! Some of the lads went for a walk towards the town, Hamilton. But as we were a few miles outside, they ended up walking through the tropical woods in searing heat. As luck would have it they came across a bar in the wood, which was a thached wooden hut. George C opened the fly door and went in to the darkened interior straight to the bar. The chat inside from the locals died away to a stoney silence. George ordered a pint and turned to the black man beside him and said 'well how is it going ould son' in his best Dublin accent ..... and from that point it was long lost brothers! A session started and wives, families and girlfriends arrived and the crack went on until the early hours. Not bad for a 'blacks only' bar!

Laners
18th April 2007, 21:40
I remember that bar , a little shack of a place with strings of lights and some weird local brew , and the locals slagging us that we had no rythem because we where white folks , so we tried to prove them wrong to the sounds of the reggae music .

Test Pilot
18th April 2007, 21:57
Laners,
do you remember the Police Club. It was in the woods also, but very much up market. We were invited. When we got there, the place was wide open, open bar and an 'Honesty Box'. There was a fully stocked bar, with a note to say 'help yourself and put the money in the box'!

I've never seen the like since

Goldie fish
19th April 2007, 00:24
It would never work here...

The empty box would be robbed.

Test Pilot
21st April 2007, 13:14
Moggy, you asked for more pic's! This may be past your time here, but I will dig out some good ones for you!

In the mean time this shot proves that 'keel hauling' was still in use by he Navy up to recently!

Test Pilot
21st April 2007, 13:32
Which reminds me, does any one remember doing time on Spike! There was a military prison on the first floor of the accommadation block, when I was there. In the early eighties it was still fashonable to be sent there for certain misbehavour!
I do recall one incident, where a certain pair came out of a pub in Ringaskidy in the early hours. In those days it was the terminus for the CIE bus which was parked overnight there. It was decided to take the double decker bus back to the base as it was a long walk. So off they went! On the way, the found a well known alcoholic, 'don't hashle me and I won't hashle you' - Gerry B... asleep, on the road. They stopped the bus, carried him on board and proceed to the base. In those days there were large wooden main gates in place, and the bus was parked there in front of them. The two lads headed off to their bunks, and when the guard came to investigate the bus at the gate they found Gerry B asleep on the seat. He was promptly put in the cell, and later charged for either taking the bus or being allowed to be carried in a stolen bus. He had no idea how he came to be in the bus in the first place, let alone how the bus got to the base!

hedgehog
21st April 2007, 18:24
Do the lads on the boarding parties

carry Steyrs

I would have thought they would have been awkard trying to

climb onto a ship

even the short barrel versions

Test Pilot
21st April 2007, 18:31
This one was an armed boarding party! Although one is seen to have brought his tool kit!

Goldie fish
21st April 2007, 18:55
Most armed boarding are done with Pistols these days.

moggy
21st April 2007, 19:50
yes i remember that alright - one of the two famous took the fares off passengers on the way - i think they went for a spin around cork and back to the base -

Test Pilot
21st April 2007, 22:21
Most armed boarding are done with Pistols these days.
http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
Not always! It would be normal to have a support RIB with Steyrs. Attached the arrest of the 'Brime'.

hedgehog
21st April 2007, 22:23
are they not real awkard

surely a pistol would be handier

Test Pilot
21st April 2007, 22:58
Yes they would be, and useless if you have to climb the side of a ship. The actual boarding party would use BAP's and the support RIB would tend to have the Steyrs to cover the boarding party as they climb the intended vessel.

hedgehog
21st April 2007, 23:04
ahh i see

thanks

hptmurphy
21st April 2007, 23:16
Interesting in the photo to see a Po/Sea probably and I think is chief by now wearing a ratings cap badge

Test Pilot
22nd April 2007, 13:04
Interesting in the photo to see a Po/Sea probably and I think is chief by now wearing a ratings cap badge

Hmmm! Have a look at the cap badges in the Brime pics! The mystery deepens.

hptmurphy
22nd April 2007, 15:45
Thats what I was quoting from..I had studied from your Brime phtos and copped it right off!

Test Pilot
22nd April 2007, 16:16
Sorry murph, I thought you were refering to the Peacock boarding party. Yes you are right! Did you see the guy that had no badge?

hptmurphy
22nd April 2007, 23:11
he was AB mech or an apprentice if i rememember correctly...given I have guessed who you are I reckon your photo collection is spectacular....We crossed paths...but I was in different divison so no interaction..but had some of your photos as christmas cards....lol

stargazer
22nd April 2007, 23:54
BOARDING its easy now very easy I know I have experience of it from the old days as well as the modern. 5 crew 4 rowing 1 on the tiller, boarding officer boarding,boarding nco and comms man no hand held vhf in them days it was a cumbersom back pack.Thats 7 in a 16 ft boat

hptmurphy
23rd April 2007, 00:32
lol the ancients have joined us...welcome stargazer opinioins welcome and noted.

Test Pilot
23rd April 2007, 09:26
BOARDING its easy now very easy I know I have experience of it from the old days as well as the modern. 5 crew 4 rowing 1 on the tiller, boarding officer boarding,boarding nco and comms man no hand held vhf in them days it was a cumbersom back pack.Thats 7 in a 16 ft boat

I agree it was cumbersom! I do remember boardings with a Gustav and pouch. I often wondered if one fell over board with this lot around you neck, would you keep going to the bottom?

hptmurphy
23rd April 2007, 12:15
Yeah the Red Helly Hensen floating suits were suspect to say the least...was never too enthusastic to have to try out one for real...the suits usually came on board brand new...to the the ward room and by the time the boats crews got them they were in bits....ah the good old days....

I see laners is keeping his head down since you brought up the bus incident..he had posted it before.....nice of some one else to confirm it though lol.

Test Pilot
24th April 2007, 09:28
I see now that the type of lifejacket is important when wearing a floatation suit. The jacket has to be a least 250N, as the suit tends to prevent the casualty from self righting, if he is face down in the water. Most life jackets are 150N.

hptmurphy
24th April 2007, 10:09
You had a life jacket lol.......mine was one of those flight deck tyoe things..never had much faith in that either.

Able
24th April 2007, 13:44
he was AB mech or an apprentice if i rememember correctly...given I have guessed who you are I reckon your photo collection is spectacular....We crossed paths...but I was in different divison so no interaction..but had some of your photos as christmas cards....lol

Hey Murph, He was a mech from Dublin.... the other guy in question was a PO Seaman and all ranks wore the same badge except for the officers of course.

Test Pilot
24th April 2007, 18:28
You had a life jacket lol.......mine was one of those flight deck tyoe things..never had much faith in that either.

Yes I know the one's. They were the orange 'blow up' things that you wear on each arm, when one is learning to swim!

Test Pilot
25th April 2007, 22:27
Flight deck crew, L.E Eithne.

Goldie fish
25th April 2007, 23:36
Why is blue vest wearing a wetsuit?

hptmurphy
26th April 2007, 05:09
Because he was a diver! Crash boat crew !he also did winch man traing ,one of two NS guys who qualified.I shared a cabin with the guy for twelve months on his second tour on Eithne.He was an leading seaman RP..but also a diver...does that help?

Truck Driver
26th April 2007, 12:31
Hi Laners,

Hi Laners! I remember a young cook (one of your lot) missed the last launch back from the pier in Manhattan in the early hours of the morning. While he was sitting on a bollard in uniform, a US admiral and his party arrived to depart to their ship, which was an aircraft carrier. The Admiral stopped and very kindly asked the cook what ship he was from and had he missed the last launch. He replied that he had, so the Admiral offered him a lift back to the Eithne as it was on their way.

As protocol dictates, a vessel wishing to come along side another naval ship would call the intended ship before hand. Permission was sought and granted for the Admirals Barge to come along side. However, there was a scurry in the ward room when they heard that an admiral of the US fleet was intending to come aboard, and a piping party was quickly arranged. Officers rushed for the appropriate uniform, and one was heard to say:’ should we wear swords or not’ The welcoming party fell in on the port side and came to attention and began the cermony as the cook stepped on board. The admirals barge disappeared in to the night as a rather 'sheepish' cook headed off to his mess!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I’m all for showing respect to people!

Yes the pic does prove we were in New York!<o:p></o:p>

Lads, that's a classic !!! :biggrin:

Test Pilot
29th April 2007, 12:44

The Naval Service was full of classics!

Test Pilot
29th April 2007, 13:11

The Naval Service is full of classics!

moggy
29th April 2007, 16:17
The Naval Service is full of classics!

Test pilot
Classic pictures - I am having major flash-backs

moggy
29th April 2007, 16:19
I have copied some pictures and sent to various members of the crew who were on board at that time -unbelievable the crew are crying out for more???

Goldie fish
29th April 2007, 17:31
Its only when you see that pic of the officers that you realise how small the jockey really was.

Test Pilot
29th April 2007, 18:03
Its only when you see that pic of the officers that you realise how small the jockey really was.

I recall the scene once, where the Jockey was standing smoking his pipe on the bridge wing, while the ship was tied up alongside. A SubLt. at the time was looking over the edge, when he said to the captain, “How high are we off the ground, Sir?” “About five foot seven” says the Jockey. “ Oh No No! Sir, I meant how high was the bridge wing off the quay wall!”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
There was a quiet retreat of the lesser ranks who were in earshot!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
It must be said though, that the Jockey was a gentleman when we were at sea with him. I always found him very fair!<o:p></o:p>

moggy
29th April 2007, 19:50
I recall the scene once, where the Jockey was standing smoking his pipe on the bridge wing, while the ship was tied up alongside. A SubLt. at the time was looking over the edge, when he said to the captain, “How high are we off the ground, Sir?” “About five foot seven” says the Jockey. “ Oh No No! Sir, I meant how high was the bridge wing off the quay wall!”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
There was a quiet retreat of the lesser ranks who were in earshot!<o:p></o:p>
It must be said though, that the Jockey was a gentleman when we were at sea with him. I always found him very fair!<o:p></o:p>

yes a true gent - a good captain

ocean
29th April 2007, 21:05
Test Pilot was the story not related to sextant use and the Sub Lt asked "what is our height of eye"? from what I recall it is an essential requirement to know height of eye above the sea surface for navigation with sun and stars if an officer is to get an accurate position. The captain replied "well mines about 5ft 5", thereby putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

Goldie fish
29th April 2007, 21:07
Two thinks jockey knew about himself.
1. He wasn't tall.
2. His hair would never get in his eyes.

He heard all the gags.

Test Pilot
29th April 2007, 21:52
Test Pilot was the story not related to sextant use and the Sub Lt asked "what is our height of eye"? from what I recall it is an essential requirement to know height of eye above the sea surface for navigation with sun and stars if an officer is to get an accurate position. The captain replied "well mines about 5ft 5", thereby putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

Ocean, Thanks for that - the St. Bruno must have clouded my recall!

stargazer
30th April 2007, 02:37
I was sorry after I didnt avail of the Carnac trip the photos recalls a lot of good memories
good friends sill with us one gone to his final reward RIP.I would like toi see more I might have a few my self will look them up.Yes a good Skipper Jach Jordan mnay a cup of coffey I had on the bridge with him talking of the old corvette days

hptmurphy
30th April 2007, 05:30
jaysus even 'chins' had shaved on the day..and a dimunitive dathi Elliot in the left hand side second row. The Leading seaman who was a leading seasickness case. lol

Even the" fat fitzy "who is not so fat at the time lol....

Test Pilot
30th April 2007, 10:20
I was sorry after I didnt avail of the Carnac trip the photos recalls a lot of good memories
good friends sill with us one gone to his final reward RIP.I would like toi see more I might have a few my self will look them up.Yes a good Skipper Jach Jordan mnay a cup of coffey I had on the bridge with him talking of the old corvette days

Yes, I agree! Sean O' Brien (RIP) was our Coxn, on the Aoife in the early eighties, and he was brilliant! Always good for a laugh and a joke. And what a repertoire he had!
He was also notorious for falling over things. We were sitting in the mess one day during a heavy sea, when Sean came flying down the stairs as the ship lurched, he tripped and was sent head first through the escape hatch on the lower part of the closed mess door. He just picked himself up and carried on! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Another day, he burst in the door of the mess, again in a heavy sea, tripped on the step, fell over the coffee table, where we were trying to keep our dinner plates and ended up on top of us with the dinner on the couch! What a life!<o:p></o:p>

Test Pilot
30th April 2007, 22:54
More guns and things from the Eithne and Aoife! The S/Lt always wore his tie in the ammo dump pic!

hptmurphy
30th April 2007, 23:24
Em..the last one is a 20mm oerlikon....

Goldie fish
30th April 2007, 23:53
Those Oerlikons just looked right.

yooklid
1st May 2007, 03:58
More guns and things from the Eithne and Aoife! The S/Lt always wore his tie in the ammo dump pic!

What's happening to all those FNs? They look brand new.

Test Pilot
1st May 2007, 09:51
What's happening to all those FNs? They look brand new.

The FN's are not that new. These pics were taken twenty odd years ago!

hptmurphy
1st May 2007, 10:08
Well they were fairly new at the time....along with most of the kit..who noticed the wooden crate marked 'Energa' ?????

And the brand new 58 pattern..brand new magazine pouches for Gustavs.

Obviuosly the weapons fit out.

Test Pilot
6th May 2007, 14:47
I have copied some pictures and sent to various members of the crew who were on board at that time -unbelievable the crew are crying out for more???

When the Eithne visited Boston in 1986, an invitation was sent to invite the crew to an Emerald Society do. A Boston police bus was sent to the ship to bring the crew to the venue. When I say bus, it resembled a type of transport for carrying convicts or perhaps ‘a chain gang’. It had blue lights on the roof and barred windows with protective steel mesh.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
We arrived at the venue where a great party developed which went on in to the early hours. The arrangement was that we were to be collected and brought back to the ship around midnight and a police motorcyclist arrived to escort the bus back. However, the partygoers were having none of it and he was dragged to the bar and somewhat forced fed, if you can call it that. When the time eventually came for us to leave, the motorcycle cop was in no state to stand, let alone drive the bike! We duly boarded the bus and departed for the ship. <o:p></o:p>
Our route took us through what was then a rundown area, called Harlem. The bus stopped at a set of traffic lights alongside a patch of waste ground where some black duds were playing football. One of our lot shouted out the window – ‘ Hey man, they have us all locked up, come and get us out quick’. The football stopped and some provocative shapes were thrown along with some mutterings and gesticulations. The black men started to move towards the bus, when the bus driver said ‘to hell with this’ and drove through the red lights and away back to the ship.<o:p></o:p>
Now, it must be said that the bus driver was no ordinary driver, and I often thought that he would have made a good candidate for the Knocknaheeny late night bus run.<o:p></o:p>
Check him out below! Oh, and yes, Sean O'B was in full flight that night too!<o:p></o:p>

moggy
6th May 2007, 21:05
When the Eithne visited Boston in 1986, an invitation was sent to invite the crew to an Emerald Society do. A Boston police bus was sent to the ship to bring the crew to the venue. When I say bus, it resembled a type of transport for carrying convicts or perhaps ‘a chain gang’. It had blue lights on the roof and barred windows with protective steel mesh.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
We arrived at the venue where a great party developed which went on in to the early hours. The arrangement was that we were to be collected and brought back to the ship around midnight and a police motorcyclist arrived to escort the bus back. However, the partygoers were having none of it and he was dragged to the bar and somewhat forced fed, if you can call it that. When the time eventually came for us to leave, the motorcycle cop was in no state to stand, let alone drive the bike! We duly boarded the bus and departed for the ship. <o:p></o:p>
Our route took us through what was then a rundown area, called Harlem. The bus stopped at a set of traffic lights alongside a patch of waste ground where some black duds were playing football. One of our lot shouted out the window – ‘ Hey man, they have us all locked up, come and get us out quick’. The football stopped and some provocative shapes were thrown along with some mutterings and gesticulations. The black men started to move towards the bus, when the bus driver said ‘to hell with this’ and drove through the red lights and away back to the ship.<o:p></o:p>
Now, it must be said that the bus driver was no ordinary driver, and I often thought that he would have made a good candidate for the Knocknaheeny late night bus run.<o:p></o:p>
Check him out below! Oh, and yes, Sean O'B was in full flight that night too!<o:p></o:p>

nice one just about remember the night??

mattydread
8th May 2007, 17:38
Hi guys, new to the site! lovely to read about the ol days on Eithne.
Was on board from 84 to 86 meself, got the yankee trip an all.
I remember a certain nav officer, on the bridge wit the jockster, who said, while looking at a seabird thru a pair of binos, "Sir, I don't seem to recognise that bird", to which the jockster replied, sarcastically of course, "Don't worry, he doesn't recognise you either!" You could have heard a pin drop. I don't know how we kept the laughing in.
I'll have to have a think for some stories from the states trip. I have plenty, if only I could remember them!!!:confused:
Moggy, do u remember when the David F was "acquired" for an impromptu spin to the base???

mattydread
8th May 2007, 17:39
oh yeah, please keep the pics coming,as I have very few.

Test Pilot
9th May 2007, 09:17
Hi guys, new to the site! lovely to read about the ol days on Eithne.
Was on board from 84 to 86 meself, got the yankee trip an all.
I remember a certain nav officer, on the bridge wit the jockster, who said, while looking at a seabird thru a pair of binos, "Sir, I don't seem to recognise that bird", to which the jockster replied, sarcastically of course, "Don't worry, he doesn't recognise you either!" You could have heard a pin drop. I don't know how we kept the laughing in.
I'll have to have a think for some stories from the states trip. I have plenty, if only I could remember them!!!:confused:
Moggy, do u remember when the David F was "acquired" for an impromptu spin to the base???

Yes, I have recall problems myself, but if pople can submit more stories it should lead to improving peoples memory.

golden rivet
9th May 2007, 12:21
Just joined the message board and it is bringing happy memories of my times on grainne with a/ck lane and eithne with po/ck lane a great man for loads of spuds on the plate moggy do you remember the submarine on us trip called bonefish or as we called it bonehead..

moggy
9th May 2007, 21:27
Just joined the message board and it is bringing happy memories of my times on grainne with a/ck lane and eithne with po/ck lane a great man for loads of spuds on the plate moggy do you remember the submarine on us trip called bonefish or as we called it bonehead..

jesus every head from the ns that sailed on eithne must now be signed up on this site
great stuff
story 1 One particular tel on eithne had a few pint's and headed for the launch
not david f as somebody mentioned - when he arrived on the boat he found crew gone and keys left in engine - he proceeded out of cobh and landed by the buoy in the harbour and dropped somebody off - he then headed to the naval base and was met by the nice guard shift and landed in the guard room for the night. sometime later while up on charges with jockiey -the good captain asked how he drove the boat -jockey stated not even the cox'n in p31 could drive the boat (ha ha) needless to say he got 14 days confined to ship . he was lucky he didn't end up for 14 days in spike

story 2
While we were headng for new York - a US Sub was behind us along with a group of several war ships all heading for the big apple, anyway late at night while all was calm
one tel called USS BONEHEAD for a radio check - several minutes passed when i got a reply back from the SUB that he was USS BONEFISH

MAJOR SNIGGERS ON BRIDGE??

THERE ARE HUNDREREDS MORE STORIES I SURE WE WILL ALL HEAR SHORTLY

hptmurphy
9th May 2007, 22:09
maybe there should be an Eithne thread...

Test Pilot
9th May 2007, 22:20

I rember that incident very well! When the ship approached New York, it was expected that all ships would join a fleet which sailed up and down the coast, until other foreign vessels had arrived. When the fleet was assembled they would sail into New York in convoy to their allocated anchorages.
While on this sail past, strict radio protocall was adhered to, on a military comm net, where orders were passed to enable the fleet to manover in unison.
The bridge deck crew were on high alert, and the duty tel was extra vigilent, as he had the radio code book to interpret.
At one point, the Jockey (the gent), spotted a tall ship on the horizon and asked the nav to plot his course from the radar. The nav indicated that he would pass to our stern at such a given time, on our current course.
Jockey, instructed the duty Tell to contact the vessel to the stern of us, which happened to be a US submarine, and to advise him of the oncoming vessel.
One must remember that the entire international fleet is listening and so strict radio protocall would be used.
The dialogue went as follows: 'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
An erie silence followed! 'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
Again silence! Jockey asked the Tell ' Are you on the right frequency'. 'I am sir, said the tell waving the code book.
The Captain must have been thinking- We have to look professional here and said 'call him up again!
'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
Back came an irratated American voice, devoid of all radio protocall, 'ITS NOT BONEHEAD, ITS BONE FISH'.
The jockey went from 5'6'' to a lesser height,and just indicated to the Tell with a wave of his hand to repeat the call. 'Bone Fish' this is war ship Eithne....................................

Test Pilot
9th May 2007, 22:38
oh yeah, please keep the pics coming,as I have very few.

Did anyone hear that matty was dead?

hptmurphy
9th May 2007, 22:55
Which Matty would that be....I remember two.....

Nice piccies...I'm wondering is the last one of the sweepers parked up sometime in 1986....seeing as one seems to be missing its anchors and the other has no jack flying.....I think that red and white flag is some thing to do with out of commission.

Its horrific to think looking back over some of the photos posted that some of those featured in them have passed on.....doesn't seem like twenty years ago

Goldie fish
9th May 2007, 23:42
Fantastic photos again. I'd encourage you again to put them in the gallery. When you attach them here, people can save them and post them elsewhere, passing them off as their own. The Gallery keeps a digital tag on them.

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 09:47
Did anyone hear that matty was dead?

Murph, Look again at the original post.

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 09:59
Which Matty would that be....I remember two.....

Nice piccies...I'm wondering is the last one of the sweepers parked up sometime in 1986....seeing as one seems to be missing its anchors and the other has no jack flying.....I think that red and white flag is some thing to do with out of commission.

Its horrific to think looking back over some of the photos posted that some of those featured in them have passed on.....doesn't seem like twenty years ago

I'm sure she was still in commission,as she still has the Jack flying, ships crest and her gun covers. Both ships are flying the striped pennent. I've just noticed the steam crane on the quay. She was converted for use with compressed air. To the rear of the ship, just out of view was a mobile steam crane. She was intact at the time and sat on a rail way carriage on what was the last remanent of the Haulbowline narrow guage railway. Nothing remains today, except the points lever for changing the tracks, which was outside the old tech stores and the engine house. That was the red bricked building beside what was the old pound. The workshops in the background have also been swept away.

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 10:03
Fantastic photos again. I'd encourage you again to put them in the gallery. When you attach them here, people can save them and post them elsewhere, passing them off as their own. The Gallery keeps a digital tag on them.

Thanks Goldie for that. I had a problem with the posting to the galery. I only seem to get the 'add to cart' bit after loging on. I know I'm doing something wrong, however I have all the postings saved to a file which I can post later to the gallery, when I figure it out.

Goldie fish
10th May 2007, 10:26
"add items" should be the fourth option down, on the left of the page. Once you login after you register.

I wonder have you any photos of the Twin oerlikon of the sweepers?

hptmurphy
10th May 2007, 11:22
Ok then...moggy whats the stripped pennant for.I know you were a tel but you are the closest we have to a mary!

Sluggie
10th May 2007, 12:02
I always thought it was "under refit". Also its a rectangular flag and not a pennant.

golden rivet
10th May 2007, 14:45
I rember that incident very well! When the ship approached New York, it was expected that all ships would join a fleet which sailed up and down the coast, until other foreign vessels had arrived. When the fleet was assembled they would sail into New York in convoy to their allocated anchorages.
While on this sail past, strict radio protocall was adhered to, on a military comm net, where orders were passed to enable the fleet to manover in unison.
The bridge deck crew were on high alert, and the duty tel was extra vigilent, as he had the radio code book to interpret.
At one point, the Jockey (the gent), spotted a tall ship on the horizon and asked the nav to plot his course from the radar. The nav indicated that he would pass to our stern at such a given time, on our current course.
Jockey, instructed the duty Tell to contact the vessel to the stern of us, which happened to be a US submarine, and to advise him of the oncoming vessel.
One must remember that the entire international fleet is listening and so strict radio protocall would be used.
The dialogue went as follows: 'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
An erie silence followed! 'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
Again silence! Jockey asked the Tell ' Are you on the right frequency'. 'I am sir, said the tell waving the code book.
The Captain must have been thinking- We have to look professional here and said 'call him up again!
'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
Back came an irratated American voice, devoid of all radio protocall, 'ITS NOT BONEHEAD, ITS BONE FISH'.
The jockey went from 5'6'' to a lesser height,and just indicated to the Tell with a wave of his hand to repeat the call. 'Bone Fish' this is war ship Eithne.................................... who is the guy in the wheelhouse he is too clean to be a sweeper man as to get a haircut that short was a mortal sin The voicepipe we used to blow smoke up it to annoy the basil on the bridge.. on grainne from 1979 to 1981 with a great captain and good cooks. a lot more stories to think about

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 14:47
"add items" should be the fourth option down, on the left of the page. Once you login after you register.

Sorry Goldie, I regret I don't have.

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 20:00
Ok then...moggy whats the stripped pennant for.I know you were a tel but you are the closest we have to a mary!
I was led to believe that a mary was a fanny.

moggy
10th May 2007, 21:07
I was led to believe that a mary was a fanny.

now now lets not start all this again ?? - Sorry Murp did the morse code thing only myself
have a call into somebody who can id that pennent -

anyway the person who took the picture would know if out of comm at the time photo taken

test pilot what mattie are u refering to??

moggy
10th May 2007, 21:14
who is the guy in the wheelhouse he is too clean to be a sweeper man as to get a haircut that short was a mortal sin The voicepipe we used to blow smoke up it to annoy the basil on the bridge.. on grainne from 1979 to 1981 with a great captain and good cooks. a lot more stories to think about

i THINK IT'S GHQ TIME - CHECK OUT THE BUCKET OF PAINT BY HIS FOOT
AFTER HE DOCKED HE GO OUT AND PAINTED IN THE DARK
GOOD GIRAFFE

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 21:26
who is the guy in the wheelhouse he is too clean to be a sweeper man as to get a haircut that short was a mortal sin The voicepipe we used to blow smoke up it to annoy the basil on the bridge.. on grainne from 1979 to 1981 with a great captain and good cooks. a lot more stories to think about

As you mention the sweepers, the story was related to me some years ago (by the person involved),whereby the captain had an extension speaker from the radio cabin in to his for the purpose of listening to the news. Now a certain electrician at the time, knowing the captain was waiting in his cabin to catch the news, would hang around until he heard the 'pips', and would run into the radio cabin and spin the dial on the set just as the news began. A farcical scene would ensue as the captain would race from his cabin to catch the culprit, and the EA would leg it to the mess before been seen. After a few near misses of nearly being caught, he decided on playing it safe. A few days later, the EA closed the hatch on the main deck between the radio cabin and the officers flat and again awaited the 'pips' on the radio. As the news began, he spun the dial on the radio set and raced out to the hatch, only to find the captain on the far side undoing each clip on the hatch in turn to gain access. The EA proceeded to close each clip in turn. As the pace of opening and closing the clips accelerated, the EA jumped up on to the four remaining clips to prevent the captain from entering. There he stayed until the shouting and banging from the far side ceased. When this happened, the EA quite rightly figured that the captain was running on to the after deck, to come over the top. As the captain decended from the wheelhouse, there was no one to be seen at the hatch. http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Test Pilot
10th May 2007, 21:28
now now lets not start all this again ?? - Sorry Murp did the morse code thing only myself
have a call into somebody who can id that pennent -

anyway the person who took the picture would know if out of comm at the time photo taken

test pilot what mattie are u refering to??

Mattie dread, mattie dead!

hptmurphy
10th May 2007, 22:13
Mary's were flag waggers comming from the school in Portsmouth where flag waggers were trained.

I can't make out the Jack in the outside sweeper...traditionally while is on refit she is out of commission and the Jack is not flown.

I remember the sweepers to be in quite good condition up to the time the were tied up end on end and were only crewed by a couple of bodies before stripping.

This would have been sometime after march 86 when the Fola and Grainne took part in the review on Cdre. Liam Moloneys retirement and before they were moved out of the basin in january 1988.

There was a lot of panic as Fola was his firsts ship as captain....and the previous weekend she had been moving off the North Wharf in Waterford and got her propellors entangled in a mooring line for a barge.She arrived in Cobh with minutes to spare.

mikeym
10th May 2007, 22:17

It was on refit, the red and white flag means that the ship is on refit.

The jack is never raised when a ship is on refit and the anchors were probably on the quay wall.

golden rivet
12th May 2007, 00:39
i THINK IT'S GHQ TIME - CHECK OUT THE BUCKET OF PAINT BY HIS FOOT
AFTER HE DOCKED HE GO OUT AND PAINTED IN THE DARK
GOOD GIRAFFE that paint was yellow chromate great for the gates at home gommel bag time......that is the folas wheel house and the seamans name was flood from dublin.

Test Pilot
12th May 2007, 14:34
that paint was yellow chromate great for the gates at home gommel bag time......that is the folas wheel house and the seamans name was flood from dublin.

Well spotted!

hptmurphy
12th May 2007, 15:57
Gommel bag..I haven't heard that in years all the 'cra men' had one.

moggy
12th May 2007, 16:33
Gommel bag..I haven't heard that in years all the 'cra men' had one.

too many houses were painted battleship grey . that seaman was single at the time
(negative cra-man ) he was proberly saving it for someone ??

hptmurphy
12th May 2007, 16:46
I remember when I was working in boat transport aquiring some read lead paint for a guy to paint his caravan...he was thrilled until he found out it was actually red anti fouling paint for a ships hull!

Test Pilot
12th May 2007, 18:09
Dialogue from No:2 beat.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
No:2 beat was a sentry post, at the top of the old billets, in Haulbowline. It was the dread of any poor soul that had to stand there, open to the elements and with no seat. The sentry’s duty was to keep an eye on the surrounding area and to challenge anyone who passed in the night. Also in view was the main parade ground, where transport used to park their vehicles. <o:p></o:p>
One wild winters night after the last launch, the guard commander posted the sentry at No: 2 beat and returned to the guardroom. As they were settling in to the nightly fry up, the field phone rang from the no:2 beat. ‘Hello Guardroom?’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh yeh, this is the sentry on no. 2’ , :rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘Yes, I know you are, who else would be ringing on the field phone? What’s up?’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh, I think one of the cars is moving across the square’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘You think! Is it moving or not?’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh, mmmmm, no I think its stopped.’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘Well ring back when you’re sure, f****** idiot’ <o:p></o:p>
Five minutes later, phone rings in guardroom. <o:p></o:p>
Eh, I’m sure the car is moving on the square’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘Where is it now’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh, just going down the flight of steps’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>

Yes it is true!:biggrin: <o:p></o:p>

golden rivet
13th May 2007, 00:01
Dialogue from No:2 beat.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
No:2 beat was a sentry post, at the top of the old billets, in Haulbowline. It was the dread of any poor soul that had to stand there, open to the elements and with no seat. The sentry’s duty was to keep an eye on the surrounding area and to challenge anyone who passed in the night. Also in view was the main parade ground, where transport used to park their vehicles. <o:p></o:p>
One wild winters night after the last launch, the guard commander posted the sentry at No: 2 beat and returned to the guardroom. As they were settling in to the nightly fry up, the field phone rang from the no:2 beat. ‘Hello Guardroom?’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh yeh, this is the sentry on no. 2’ , :rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘Yes, I know you are, who else would be ringing on the field phone? What’s up?’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh, I think one of the cars is moving across the square’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘You think! Is it moving or not?’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh, mmmmm, no I think its stopped.’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘Well ring back when you’re sure, f****** idiot’ <o:p></o:p>
Five minutes later, phone rings in guardroom. <o:p></o:p>
Eh, I’m sure the car is moving on the square’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>
‘Where is it now’<o:p></o:p>
‘Eh, just going down the flight of steps’:rolleyes: <o:p></o:p>

Yes it is true!:biggrin: <o:p></o:p>
oh happy days on no.2 beat.. as you are aware an ab commited suicide there on the second beat this came to be known as the dead mans beat. and we used to draw lots what beat we would do The junior man always got the second beat and if it was his first time we would ring him on the field phone to ask him who was that standing beside him. change of jocks time......

hptmurphy
13th May 2007, 01:01
heh ....No.2 beat..covering the stores....Johnny brit..a certain A/wr with a taste for funny fags..would stay out on that beat all night,

I learned to cook doing those duties...

Laners
13th May 2007, 11:46

I have a picture of one on a slide , need to find out if I can get it transfered to to digital , also have some shots from my days on Setanta .

Laners
13th May 2007, 12:00
Another humerous story about Jockey . We had a group of cadets on board Eithne for a few weeks of training and Jockey had to do a progress report on each of them on the conclusion of their time on board . His summary of one of the cadets was that , somewhere, some town in Ireland is missing it's village idiot .

Test Pilot
13th May 2007, 13:39
Mary's were flag waggers comming from the school in Portsmouth where flag waggers were trained..

All a crowd of old fannies now!:biggrin:

hptmurphy
13th May 2007, 17:37
Laners you can bring the slide to any photo shop and they will transfer it to a memory stick for you..or give you a hard copy. You can get a sacnner that will reprint slides or negatives..not that expensive really..but the simple option is the Photography shop.

hedgehog
13th May 2007, 18:59
What year was that TP

I recognise one of the crew who must have kearned to read and

Subsequently became a 5 Bn Sgt

also

the guy 3rd from Starboard who is scratching his head

I bet he is undercover wing

Test Pilot
13th May 2007, 19:21
Laners you can bring the slide to any photo shop and they will transfer it to a memory stick for you..or give you a hard copy. You can get a sacnner that will reprint slides or negatives..not that expensive really..but the simple option is the Photography shop.

The real crew from eithne.

Test Pilot
13th May 2007, 19:25
What year was that TP

I recognise one of the crew who must have kearned to read and

Subsequently became a 5 Bn Sgt

also

the guy 3rd from Starboard who is scratching his head

I bet he is undercover wing
It's around 1986, but perhaps some one can nail down the exact date. This batch of photos was not dated.

mattydread
13th May 2007, 21:17
The real crew from eithne.

My God, there's some memories. I really must try and get to a scanner and start scanning!! TP, which Matty u thinking about?? I know which one I am!:biggrin:

hptmurphy
13th May 2007, 22:10
the guy scartching his head is Owen Murphy...once a leading seaman now a free lance photographer in Cobh....

others include ...bullet head ,Aggie,Moggy.....Chins, fat fitzy..Ricky...I'll stick with the nick names I can remember although I can formally name others.

Test Pilot
13th May 2007, 22:44
the guy scartching his head is Owen Murphy...once a leading seaman now a free lance photographer in Cobh....

others include ...bullet head ,Aggie,Moggy.....Chins, fat fitzy..Ricky...I'll stick with the nick names I can remember although I can formally name others.
Murph, I don't think Moggy is in this photo. Which one is Bullet head?

Test Pilot
13th May 2007, 23:18
oh happy days on no.2 beat.. as you are aware an ab commited suicide there on the second beat this came to be known as the dead mans beat. and we used to draw lots what beat we would do The junior man always got the second beat and if it was his first time we would ring him on the field phone to ask him who was that standing beside him. change of jocks time......

Brilliant!:biggrin:

hptmurphy
14th May 2007, 00:03
4th from left back row..thought moggy was in the front row.

golden rivet
14th May 2007, 00:29
5th from right is bullet head 4th from left is john bates moggy not in picture.. five of them are still serving . minnie RIP..TJ Doyle RIP,, the remainder scattered around the world .A better bunch of lads for the crack you could not get . happy times....

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 08:58
5th from right is bullet head 4th from left is john bates moggy not in picture.. five of them are still serving . minnie RIP..TJ Doyle RIP,, the remainder scattered around the world .A better bunch of lads for the crack you could not get . happy times....
Yes, they were wonderful times. A great bunch of lads, all of them!

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 09:04
My God, there's some memories. I really must try and get to a scanner and start scanning!! TP, which Matty u thinking about?? I know which one I am!:biggrin:
Right so, I know this has caused confusion! So to clear the air, 'Matty Dread, Matty dead' was just a slaging of the 'handle' which you chose. Nothing more. I know you are alive and kicking, Matty!:biggrin: Moggy was on to me to know where to send the mass card.

mattydread
14th May 2007, 16:44
Right so, I know this has caused confusion! So to clear the air, 'Matty Dread, Matty dead' was just a slaging of the 'handle' which you chose. Nothing more. I know you are alive and kicking, Matty!:biggrin: Moggy was on to me to know where to send the mass card.

Thought that alright!!:tongue:
The only thing is, I am now at a disadvantage, as I don't know who u guys are!!. At least I know HPT and Moggy. I suppose, I'll just have to keep guessing or ye might pm me and put me out of my misery!!!
I'll have a go at naming the crew in dat photo as best as I can.

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 19:22
Thought that alright!!:tongue:
The only thing is, I am now at a disadvantage, as I don't know who u guys are!!. At least I know HPT and Moggy. I suppose, I'll just have to keep guessing or ye might pm me and put me out of my misery!!!
I'll have a go at naming the crew in dat photo as best as I can.

Matty,
I'll pm you! Did anyone see the face in the 'porthole' in that photo?

moggy
14th May 2007, 20:30
Matty,
I'll pm you! Did anyone see the face in the 'porthole' in that photo?

I know he is in the picture but looks like doc flynn??

Was i the only one on -watch when this picture was taken

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 20:34
I know he is in the picture but looks like doc flynn??

Was i the only one on -watch when this picture was taken

The mech in the top right hand corner was also on duty, as he is not in uniform. It's not a port hole where the face is!

hedgehog
14th May 2007, 20:35
It's not a port hole where the face is!

No Its a little roundy window

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 20:37
No Its a little roundy window

Oh no it's not! look again.

ZULU
14th May 2007, 20:48
Oh no it's not! look again.

Deck light? I bet it has something to do with his handle! :biggrin: :tongue:

moggy
14th May 2007, 20:53
see him on main picture was he a passenger from ghq on the trip
can id most of the crew but not him - give us a hint

The real Jack
14th May 2007, 20:55
You must have some amount of spare time if your bothered to photoshop someones face onto a deck light!

ZULU
14th May 2007, 21:05
Middle Row, Second from Left. Is that the Jaw? (Kieran?)

mattydread
14th May 2007, 21:09
Middle Row, Second from Left. Is that the Jaw? (Kieran?)

yup, with mattydread standing next to him (his right side that is!)

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 21:18
Deck light? I bet it has something to do with his handle! :biggrin: :tongue:

My My! there all on tonight! Yes it is a deck light. It's the Infared floodlight used for night landings.

ZULU
14th May 2007, 21:18
He hasn't changed one single bit, well maybe his hair!

Wait till I show him this one

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 21:23
He hasn't changed one single bit, well maybe his hair!

Wait till I show him this one

Keep an eye out, I may post some more anomalies on future photos.
Zulu, I've just realised you you are from another thread. I'll introduce myself the next time I come into your office.

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 21:27
You must have some amount of spare time if your bothered to photoshop someones face onto a deck light!
It only takes a minute! I've had plenty of practice.

Goldie fish
14th May 2007, 21:41
Zulu has an office now?

hptmurphy
14th May 2007, 21:53
This a later piture when Popeye was skipper..name all these.I can get most of them.

moggy
14th May 2007, 21:56
This a later piture when Popeye was skipper..name all these.I can get most of them.

jesus here we go again

hptmurphy
14th May 2007, 21:57
Ok since we are using names and seeings so long ago..Tp photo include sch notables as Jim Griffin,Ciaran Monks,Alan kenna,kieran Coniry,kieran Cullninane,damien Power Mick Kelly,Tom Molloy, Aggie,( Agnew) Dave Irwin,The two fitzys, Faugny.Ricky Starmer,dathiei Elliot,Minnie Carroll, T.J Doyle ,Frankie Robinson,Coochie Doyle,Budgie The writer,Batsey,Danny Flynn,Owen murphy,matty Dread{lol}.

thats about it for now

hedgehog
14th May 2007, 21:57
do you lads ever do anything

but take pictures of one another

ZULU
14th May 2007, 21:59
Zulu has an office now?

Shhhhhh. Dont tell the ol'man!:tongue:

Goldie fish
14th May 2007, 22:00
Jealousy doesnt suit you Hedge. That was a historic occasion when Eithne was used by an T-Uachtaroite as a Royal yacht. Thats him in the Civvies

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 22:02
Zulu has an office now?
Yeh, he has moved out of the van!

Laners
14th May 2007, 22:18
The face in the deck light is that of L/Sea Noel Fawn < Fawney> the guy in the upper right corner in the overalls is L/ ERA Declan Kelly , who now lives in Canada and has an air conditioning buisness , in the center of the first row is L/ELEC Ricky Stamer who lives in Australia .

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 22:24
Thanks for that Laners! Are you still in touch with Ricky? I spoke to him one day by phone from Aus in Joe Reville's office, when I was last there some years ago. If you have an email for him, can you pm me?

hptmurphy
14th May 2007, 22:30
I think I see Jimmy McKewon the leading steward in there as well

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 23:07
The face in the deck light is that of L/Sea Noel Fawn < Fawney> the guy in the upper right corner in the overalls is L/ ERA Declan Kelly , who now lives in Canada and has an air conditioning buisness , in the center of the first row is L/ELEC Ricky Stamer who lives in Australia .

Moggy was whinging that he was not in the photo. If he ever bothered to get out of the bunk he might be.
Now you are in it!

mattydread
14th May 2007, 23:19

Hi Laners, ur wrong about Fawney, he is in the main pic, second from left, front row, beside deccie o donovan.

mattydread
14th May 2007, 23:23
Moggy was whinging that he was not in the photo. If he ever bothered to get out of the bunk he might be.
Now you are in it!

good one, also now i see can jimmy griffin, I think, in the winch gear left hand side. trying to remember Blondies name, who is in the right hand side light!! Am i right??

hptmurphy
14th May 2007, 23:32
http://homepage.eircom.net/~navalassociation/index.htm try this some morefaces there,

he he told you we in it...now would you like to fomulate some guess on my photo

Test Pilot
14th May 2007, 23:43
http://homepage.eircom.net/~navalassociation/index.htm...try this some morefaces there,

he he told you we in it...now would you like to fomulate some guess on my photoMurph, Can you check the link again. I think it is corrupted.

Goldie fish
14th May 2007, 23:46
Try it now

moggy
15th May 2007, 14:47
who face do u see - cant even go away for the weekend now

moggy
15th May 2007, 20:33
who face do u see - cant even go away for the weekend now

that picture is not fawney >>

hptmurphy
15th May 2007, 21:58
Who moved Ciaran Monks head to where Kieran Coniry's was....

whats this..spot the difference?

moggy
16th May 2007, 20:30

well i'm afraid to leave the house now in case test pilot decides to put my mush on the
daulphin helo and ask who is the pserson looking out the window ha ha

Test Pilot
16th May 2007, 20:42
well i'm afraid to leave the house now in case test pilot decides to put my mush on the
daulphin helo and ask who is the pserson looking out the window ha ha

Stand by one, Moggy!