Timoney ARV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timoney ARV

As you may know at http://www.geocities.com/irisharmore.../TARV_Mk1.html a Timoney design is mentioned, which is an armoured recce vehicle (or armoured car). The page says there were two prototypes built and then the production rights were sold to Tanzania where an unspecified number of these were adopted by the country's army.

Unfortunately, the vehicle's data given there is uncomplete. For instance there is no info on its dimensions. Does anybody here have more details regarding this very interesting design? And what about the Tanzanian trail (when? how many? etc.)?

As well I would be interested in the vehicle's pictures.

Best regards,
    Petrus

As I understand it only very preliminary work was carried out on this protoype in Ireland. The whole production line was set up and run in Tanzania.

The vehicl is not even mentioned in Janes recognition hand books over the past number of years. The IAS website provides all the information that is available on the machine.

Sorry we can't be of more help.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Timoney

Dose the army still use the timony apc

Comment

Originally posted by c-90 View Post
        Dose the army still use the timony apc
        No..

Have not been used for sometime.....

Their last use was as hard targets in the Glen.

use the search function for more info...

Comment

Was wondering, were they ever deployed overseas?
          Last edited by mugs; 14 January 2007, 23:04.
          Theirs not to make reply,
          Theirs not to reason why,
          Theirs but to do and die:
          Into the valley of Death
          Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by mugs View Post

Was wondering, were they ever deployed overseas?

No, they never even made it into general use... were mostly used in the Cav.. never (AFIK) in inf Bns.... in the 70's and 80's the APC in general use was the Panhard M3 APC... The only time I saw Timoneys in the East was with the "then" 2 Mot Sqn in Griffith Barracks. AFIK they were only issued to Cav units.

Comment

They make great HEAT targets.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Mugs you can use my photos I don't mind..just credit me with taking them.

the Cav school also used them..they went to the border with the Cav in longford as well.
                Last edited by hptmurphy; 15 January 2007, 18:11.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Mugs you can use my photos I don't mind..just credit me with taking them.
                  Sorry, I wasn't posting them outside the board so I didn't think it was a problem.
                  Theirs not to make reply,
                  Theirs not to reason why,
                  Theirs but to do and die:
                  Into the valley of Death
                  Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Makes a change..apology accepted.

Comment

Plenty of the APCs still in use in Belgium.

NTM
                      Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Thought the Irish ones had a different engine/transmission that made them louder and slower than the Belgian ones??

Comment

The majority (at least 95) of the BDX APCs have actually been sold by Belgium to Mexico and are in service there as the DNC-2, must say they seem to be going strong, here's a link http://media.militaryphotos.net/phot...m52/amy?full=1.

The Timoney's were actually built by a subsidiary of Timoney Technology, Technology Investments Limited, reportedly in Dublin, but some reports indicate that at least one prototype was built by the Sugar Company in Carlow.

IAS

Comment

Sugar factory by day, international arms manufacturer by night. AFRI would not be pleased.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The sugar factory had a manufacturing plant for years, they built the old Armer beet harvesters there (while they were yellow) and then the Armer salmon (green) stuff so it would make sense that they would have had the welding gear and the ability to cut steel plate. No mention of it in Karl Martins book. Did the sugar company also make gear during WWII? Vague memories of landmines or something like that. Sugar company was state owned also - so it would have been a state company building military equipment.

For the record,(and answering my own question) the engines used were a 180hp Chrysler V8 (petrol) in the Mk IV and a 170hp Detroit Diesel in the MkV.

Anyways, does anyone have more details of the origin of these APCs? They're a highly unusual story - the only real attempt to design and build military vehicles for the DF in Ireland in the modern era. Martin also mentions that they were supposed to replace the VTT, and also were to be replaced by Alvis Stormer APCs. Any idea of what role these were supposed to have?

Comment

Working...
                              X