Familiar story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familiar story?

Chile is in the process of procuring 4 offshore patrol vessels. Although this project appears to be well organized with firm schedules, the target budget is only $24 million per unit for construction as well as logistical support.

Proyecto Danubio IV calls for an OPV with the following characteristics:

Maximum speed: 20-plus knots.
    Range: 7,000 nautical miles at economy speed.
    Seakeeping: Patrol in sea state (SS) 5, tow a same-size vessel in SS 4 and conduct helicopter operations in SS 3.
    Facilities for landing and refueling a medium-size helicopter.
    Fitted for one Bofors Defense 40mm Mk3 gun.
    Complement: 34 crew plus 20 passengers.

The Chilean government has allocated US $100 million for acquisition of four 80-metre Frassmer-designed off-shore patrol vessels (OPVs) for the Coast Guard, the first vessel being scheduled for delivery in 2007. However, there are early indications the funding will not be adequate to support both construction and future operations and maintenance needs, according to Warships IFR.

Perhaps they should use the pennant number P32?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Chile were looking at this option along time ago...twenty years ago to be precise and wanted to liscence build our own conception of such a vessel. But given the fact the country was a right wing dictator ship at the time..( ours or theirs should I wonder) it came to nothing.

India also went down the same road ,but because of its military ties with the former Soviet Union ,that also came to naught.

So this example proves that the market was there, but Irish politicians were too politically correct to do anything about it.

The liscence revenue from the construction of say five of the Eithne type vessels would have paid for a second Irish example.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

How lucky we were to have such Conscientious politicians looking after the country's welfare back in the 80's!

Comment

I think the design was eventually sold, rather than licenced. A massive missed opportunity.

Comment

Why is it that the minute i saw kermit had replied to the thread I knew his post would be worthless?

Ever hear of survivors? Marines? Trainees? Antartic scientists?

Comment

If the design was sold where was it used,,,factually the design was quite good I think it was the domestic production costs frightned alot of potential users away.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

hi all
              Chile must have a few bob to throw around.According to the UK press yesterday, they are buying four Type 22/23 Frigates from the Royal Navy, vessels that are being cut from the RN fleet list as part of major cutbacks. The RN are putting two carriers in mothballs,and will retain just one in active service, as well as getting rid of the Harriers. One lot's bad news is another lot's gain.
              regards
              GttC

Comment

I'm confused as to how they would only have one carrier. I thought you always needed two carriers in case of conflict where one gets blown up and you need the other to land planes?

Comment

The 3 current smaller aircraft carriers are to be replaced by 2 larger carriers operating the Joint Strike Fighter (STOVL version).

Comment

I think I read that Chile has discovered oil....

Comment

Eithne for trip to argentina and chile

Friend of mine was telling me that they're off in a few mounth's. Any truth in it?

Comment

Looking to sell it there lets hope.

Comment

Yes they are going to south america. No they won't be selling it. Too many nearly new british frigates about for anyone to be interested in a hard working 20 year old patrol boat with a high freeboard and a small helideck.

Comment

They wanted to sell the drawings to Chile years ago but Pinochet was in power and somebody had scruples about dealing with a right wing dictatorship.!

Comment

Beg to differ with Goldie on prospects to sell her in South America - having lived and worked there for the last several years, including articles on Chile and Argentina military affairs and interviews with admirals, generals and defense ministers. Argentina, Chile and Uruguay have standing requirements for OPV's and for Argentina or Uruguay, something like Eithne is about all they can afford and it would be a big improvement over the WWII vintage junk they have now. I would certainly be makiing them offers diring the course of the trip - even prepared to leave it with the new owner and fly the crew back! Time to order the new Joint Support Ship!

Comment

Working...
                              X