Liberia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberia

Originaly posted by O'B in the 'Blue Helmeted Babies' thread but moved here coz it had nothing to do with the original topic:

Too bloody right man, six months of stewing in that kip with no air conditioning, rain and ants!!!!
    however the pool was great, just like being 8 and having no lifeguard to tell you to stop being bold!

(Sorry lads i just found out to put my picture up, hope you dont mind double postings for on time only)
    by the way any one that was out there will remember these great sayings

ya buddy, give me chop chop - ya irish give me five dollars - or my favourite, ya man you wanna buy these sunglasses, i said no (i was wearing sunglasses not the stupid army CHIPS ones), ok man, i break your glasses and then you buy my glasses? brilliant i said and walked away, you gotta admit they've got some neck!

another funny one was when ever you gave the little kids lovely water that you bought in the PX they poured it out in front of ya and just wanted the bottles! that practice stopped straight away!

and just one more really scary one, i was on duty on the gate one night and as usual the kids from the shanty town were down (does any one know what the name of that place was? it was banjor wasnt it?) anyway we were all chatting and havin the laugh. the kids disapeared after a while and i thought no more of it. the next day was a saturday and i was a scorcher so i sat under my fan for most of it until 3.30 to go for a run outside (the only highlight of the week bar drinkin) and one of the lads comes up to me and says o'b there's a letter at the main gate for ya, i said what the f**k are you on about? and he said no man there's a letter there for ya i'm not kiddin ya. so thinkin it was a joke i headed down and kinda out of nosiness. thinkin all the way what had they done? i get to the gate and the lad on the gate was there and i asked him was there a letter there for me, he kinda laughed and went into the AIR CONDITIONED gatehouse (god that place was great) and came out with a kinda wierd look on him, i thought shite what the hell is it? so i opened the "letter" (a piece of note paper) and i cant remember the exact words (i should have kept it) but it was one of the kids mums and she opened the letter with "Dear Mister Ob", it went on to read that she wanted money and that she had enough food and blessed me and all that but that she wanted $20 for medicine, and the her young lad would know me on the run to ask me for it! i couldnt believe it they'd heard my name and the little fecker brought in the letter, needless to say i sprinted past the ville that day! so be warned lads, dont let them know your name or even ob, cos they'll corner ya outside for cash or whatever, True story man!

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

.........so be warned lads, dont let them know your name or even ob.........
    Forgive me for being ignorant but I thought that would have went without saying
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

nah man, you woluldnt believe how easy it is to be chatiin to someone and say alright mick, hutchty, banno, mo, mikey, danny, o'b, mac or whatever it is at the the gate, the little kids remember evertything and they can read your nametags too!

ps - alot of them know the rank system (i gotta hand it to them the caught on very fast!)

Comment

anyway another wee story for yis, not too funny but hillarious for me (im a saddo really) i played hurling in school, but never thought of it after that. however as the irish do i wanted to be more irish than the irish at home and tok up puckin the ball every day. i was crap! but i couldnt belive how good i got in 6 months at noon ( a miserable time of day whrere our Air Con didnt work) and pucked the hell outa it. i was still crap though, but for me the locals enjoying us tryin to buckle ourselves by runnin at each other (which is my fav part of hurling) was quite a specticle, all the lads had a shot including 2 of the locals who worked wi me, they asked me one time if it was baseball, and i tryed my best to explain what hurling was, but then i saked what their fav sport was, (this was when liberia and togo played a world cup qualifier) of course they said soccer, so i asked what would happen if liberia lost, they said that the liberians would wreck the managers house and go mad, so liberia went 7-1 down and the excat thing happened, the lads were workin cos we were gettin ready for the medal parade, but in fairness can you imagine the likes of us goin to brian kerr's gaff and trashin it?

fair play (not condoling violence or mayhem) for standing up for their rights to field a good soccer team.

ps - does anyone know if Geaorge Weah won the election?

Comment

Originally posted by O'B
          nah man, you woluldnt believe how easy it is to be chatiin to someone and say alright mick, hutchty, banno, mo, mikey, danny, o'b, mac or whatever it is at the the gate, the little kids remember evertything and they can read your nametags too!

ps - alot of them know the rank system (i gotta hand it to them the caught on very fast!)
          Smart wee f*****rs, aren't they.
          Into the valley of Death
          Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Programme about the Irish with UNMIL

"Tales from the Front Line"
            RTE 1
            Tuesday 2nd August
            Not sure of the time

Comment

Any more info?
              Into the valley of Death
              Rode the six hundred.

Comment

RTÉ news brings you the latest Irish news, world news, international news and up to the minute reports on breaking Irish news stories and news from around the world. Watch and listen to Irish news stories on our video and audio streams.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I can't find any info, and if you can find minute and stop critisising me could you help.

But I do know it starts at 10:35-11:35.
                  Last edited by mugs; 27 July 2005, 19:43.
                  Into the valley of Death
                  Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Working...
                  X