MBB BO
    MB 339
    SAAB SK 60
    T-17
    C-160 Transall
    SA 330 PUMA
    LYNX

Go on have a crack at them :-patriot:

If you happen to have them in your back garden then fine...ah sure I'll play your game:
    C-130J : We definitely need a tactical transport capablilty but it's more likely we'll end up acquiring something slightly smaller...either the very similar (but with better short field capability) C-27J Spartan or the EADS CASA C-295.

C-160: Ditto

MBB BO: Is this referring to the BO 105? That aircraft was essentially a competitor for the AIII, and is inferior in every aspect to it's successor the EC-135/635 which is currently on the air corps shopping list as an AIII/D2/Gazelle replacement.

MB-339: This Aermaachi trainer is unusually expensive and capable (for a trainer) but not really a wise purchase, as mentioned elsewhere it's successor the M/MB-346 has definite potential as a light fighter for basic symbolic air defence and army co-op training

I can't recall the T-17 (not a us jet trainer is it?) or the Saab offhand.

The Puma, isn't likely unless the first six M/Ls selected are COugars in which case the cheaper versions of the super Puma might be considered to bulk up the TT fleet, but obviously a homogenous fleet of EC-725s or NH-90s would be preferable.

Lynx: There is no role for this helicopter in the aircorps as it stands, if a military naval aviation was required then it might be an option, but we don't need the worlds fastest light helicopters to fulfill the essentially civilian task carried out by IAC light helicopters...I've also made my opinion clear that as it stands I believe that armed helicopters (other than in Naval aviation) can only be safely entrusted to dedicated attack platforms in our case small ones like the Supercobra or Tiger
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Okay the SK 60 is just the service title for the SAAB 105, a jet trainer of very friendly flying qualities which is used in prepping Gripen pilots...but its not something we need unless someone plans to buy advanced fly by wire fighters, with the F-5/M-346 option the simple handling of the former and the fact that the latter is a single seat conversion of a trainer means that no such intermediate craft is required.

Now the T-17 is just a less capable contender for the PC-9s intermediate trainer role
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The thing is the Defence Forces could be kitted out alot better than this if the political will was there.
        Unfortunatley, ministers operate in the World of Realpolitik where building a hopital is guaranteed to deliver more votes at a General election than kitting out the Air Corps.

Comment

No offence shrike but stating the obvious doesn't really pass for wisdom nowadays, do you really feel that you are the only person here who is aware of the political situation.
          Also Irelands defence deficit comes from a triumph of brainwshing in which the majority of the population thinks either (a) neutrality is a magical forcefield, (b) A puppy dies everytime a weapon is bought or (c) both

Comment

A puppy dies?!?!??! I never knew that!

About the brain washing. In Ireland it seems to me that the following situation exists:

1) The crusties talk about dark malevolent forces manipulating the people and the media and trying to take Ireland in a direction that will be against its best interest.

2) THEY are the aformentioned malevolent force.

About the C-130. It's a marvelous aircraft and represents excellent value for money. My personal belief, as I've stated before, is that as money is soooo tight, we have to buy hardware that can be upgraded almost ad infinitum. The 130 is a proven platform, is in the surplus market and is readily upgradable by lockheed. The fact that it is already used by so many other forces means that it will be around for a long time to come.

By the way. I saw that obnoxiously big Mriya aircraft recently, (the one that was built by the Sovs for carrying around their Buran). Apparently Mriya means "Dream". It was so damn big they should have called it Hallucination

Last edited by yooklid; 14 April 2003, 06:18.
            Meh.

Comment

I believe they have a second one in the air now..
              The AN124 is pretty impressive in the air already..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie,

Just for size comparison the An-124 is this

An-124 Link

What I saw was THIS:

AN-225 Link

Unbelievable, eh!? I know that they have the parts etc. to build a second one. I don't know if they did though.

Yooklid
                Last edited by yooklid; 14 April 2003, 06:17.
                Meh.

Comment

Some russian aircraft designers have evident manhood issues

Comment

Not So, DHL (My employers) Have an An-124 for airlifing Cargo, Its Massive and Can Carry all the Frieght Destined for Ireland In one trip from Brussels. Other Large Airlines (Cathay Pacific and South African Airways, were trying to order C-130j's from Lockheed a few years ago but the US Govt put a stop to it i.e. they didn't want their Hercule's Falling into the wrong hands, The russians However would sell them to anyone who had the Money.

Last edited by Bailer; 16 April 2003, 12:57.
                    Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Working...
                    X