16 Moore st. OUR Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Moore st. OUR Heritage

A petition, launched by Lorcan Collins to save 16 Moore St., the location where the surrender order was formulated and issued is about to be turned into a supermarket.
    Your signature is needed to petition against this development.
    Visit the front page of www.militaryheritagetours.com to add your signature

This is a weird thing, this building and it belongs to someone is situated in prime buisness area,

There is a landlord somewhere sitting back on his arse awaiting the govt to use tax payers money to either buy or do up his building

What should happen is that the Corporation take over the building under the abandoned building clause or under health and safety legislation,

Is it really that important to our heritage in that the leaders only spent a short time here,

The escape route they took from the GPO went through or passed by 17 other buildings.

If we are going to expend time and effort surley it would be better to reclaim the original surrender document that is still in the British Museum.

Heritage and tradition are important, but to what degree

Discuss
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Isn't there some doubt as to whether this building is the one from which the surrender came, due to buildings being renumbered since 1916?
      "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

they should just leave that building there. who needs another supermarket in the city centre, i put my name on that potician, it's an important part of the republic's heritage. in the next ten yrs or so there'll be nothing historical left in dublin!!!
        Cheers Bernard......

Comment

I don't see how there could be doubt as to where the buildng actually is. It was O'Hanlon's fish Shop. To check what number it was in 1916 you would simply root out Thoms Directory and check what number O'Hanlon's fish shop was. Take a look at the 1911 Map of Dublin and a look at a later map and see if the numberings have changed.

I know what I'm talking about cos I spent weeks reconstructing a verbal picture of Dublin's Westmoreland St and D'Olier St in the 1930s (for UCD) and had to use Thom's, maps etc... to find out what was where then.

Anyway, any of the account of the Rising, which I have a particular interest in, has said it was No. 16 Moore St. The building shouldn't be knocked but renovated and used for something. I agree though that the surrender document should be returned as they British museum probably don't even display it. It is after all an important piece of history.

Comment

in the next ten yrs or so there'll be nothing historical left in dublin!!!

what do you rate as historical Fridgey, we are an ancient land and people, so therefore every part of this island is historical,

No matter what way you do it, when you alter the landscape you are interfering with something historical

Apart from me what else would you rate as historical

Comment

On that note can any tell me the name of the other person who offered the surrender, with Pearse. I know she was a woman, and the brits erased her out of the photo, as it offended some people at the time to think that a woman had been involved in the surrender. I think her name might have been faulkner. Any help on this or info about this woman would be appreciated. By the way if you look at the famous photo of Pearse offering his surrender, look down at his feet and you can clearly see her feet beside his. But thats all that was left of her after the brits doctored the photo.
              Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
              Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Nurse Farrell, who went to many locations with the surrender order. I wonder was it "the brits" who were responsible for the airbrushing?

Comment

I have been told that it was the Brits who were responsible, as they were the ones who took the photograph. But from what I believe the "Oul IRA" dident object to it either. So It suited both sides. Thanks for her name , I have a place to work from now. See if I can get some more info on this woman.
                  Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                  Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Elisabeth(?) Farrell. As far as I remember a book on her has been published recently! The photo is a still from a newsreel. The Officer taking teh surrender is a Brig Gen Lowe who's son became a Hollywood star.

Comment

Here ya go...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online
                      www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

well hedge man i suppose when you interfere with historical land that you are slowly ruining it and it'll banish due to things like putting up another feckin supermarket
                        Cheers Bernard......

Comment

This building is obviously historically significant. You would think that it's preservation would be ano-brainer for a Fianna Fáil-led government.

Once upon a time in a remote area of Co. Waterford called the Nire Valley, there was a cottage where the Republican leadership met in March 1923 to debate a possible truce in the Civil War. In the 1970s local families donated IRA memorabilia, irreplacable photographs and artifacts to set up a museum in this cottage. This part of our heritage was left decay and in the 90s, the philistine who owned the property simply levelled the cottage. The point is that to prevent the same happening to 16 Moore St, it needs to be taken out of private ownership.
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                          My favourite moment was when the
                          Originally posted by hedgehog
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Every building in Dublin is in itself historically significant

The budget for the preservation of our heritage is finite, if it is diluted by aqcuiring every single piece of property that the Leadership had any connection with, this would mean lesser resources for those places that are actually historically significant

Saying that, the land lord of No 16 should be forced to secure the building or it be taken of him in a legal manner.

Bring back the surrender document

Comment

I think when you consider how much the taxpayer is forking out for the running of the government B&B(that is rarely used), a few euro towards the preservation of a small building in dublin should be easy.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X