C 130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C 130

Just reading about Austria's new Herc's.They are ex RAF refurbished by marshall's in U.K.They cost appox E10m for 3 and will be used for EU RRf and humanitarian missions.They should be good for 20 years.This would seem to be a great example to follow,the need is there for an irish airlift capability EU /Un missions.There are a number still stored with marshall's 10+, they would take the transport mission from the casa's.
    Just an idea lad's
    Comment's please

€10 million for 3 ?

Sounds like a bargain to me !
    I agree, would be an ideal solution for our transport needs.
    Put's Bertie's €60million jet in the shade !
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Could we not buy 4 and convert one to VIP standard or would this possible with this type of Aircraft..

Comment

We'd need to have a reserve aircraft that means to have one or at best two inb the air one would have to be on the ground at any time for maintenance, beside a VIP herc makes about as much sense as being a neutral country with no self defence capacity
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Hmmm... could we buy someone else's surplus and have them refitted to our own standard?
          Meh.

Comment

Converting a C-130 for VIP use, sounds a bit like the bride arriving at the wedding on the back of a tractor.
            The truth is that, in reality, we have no use for a co-called VIP aircraft in the Air Corps, by any stretch of the imagination, however we do have need of an aircraft which can be used for what I would call 'speical requirments', as Paul G's example from a while back, the flight of Brian Keenan from leb'.
            I see no reason why some kind of a convertion kit can't be made up for this requirment, also for those hospital trips to the UK, and back again, one advantage the C-130 has over fancy ex' jets is it has loads of room.
            Also there is the huge ramp, which among other things is ideal for parachute operations, or dropping off political whales like Harney, no parachute required.:D
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You could get a containerised accomodation system and load it onto the plane as required.

Comment

A vip c130would be ideal for Mary Harney:D :D .
                I could see nothing relly wrong with surplus c130s for the air corps as long as they are structurally sound.
                Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

i think its a great idea!!

its about time they started spending their money wisely - we need a compromise between price and technology.

Comment

Well we also have a president and commander in chief, do we as a nation expect our head of state to fly Ryanair, and only go on state visits on a tuesday? more important is the need for an air ambulance capable of flying patients to the U.K, sick children often require threatment that is only AVAILABLE IN CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE like great ormond street in london. therefore there is a need for a Beechcraft replacement,distinct from any new transports for service overseas, personally buying a beechcraft replacement is fine, its replacing the Gulfstream is another matter . .

Comment

Agreed, Paul, totlly agreed, would a Cessana Caravan fit this role? think one was in Bal' monday.Someone is checking for me.
                      Last edited by Turkey; 15 April 2003, 22:01.
                      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Get out the begging bowl....

Pass this on to Bertie...i was gona tell him to call Ken (see bottom) & buy the two C130's on finance... but then I saw this. Me thinks that Shannon is worth at least 4 C130's & a few old jets (F16's)...ahh sure just give us everthing you got!! well even take a some of dem ships...

Global Policy Forum is a policy watchdog that follows the work of the United Nations. We promote accountability and citizen participation in decisions on peace and security, social justice and international law.

The article says "Since 1996, the US has been providing, on a cost-free basis, large quantities of secondhand surplus weapons from its army, navy and air force inventories. But most of the give-aways have to be refurbished, serviced and maintained by the cash-strapped countries"

"The largest number of giveaways was to Botswana, one of the few African nations whose economy is on the upswing. The US equipment included three C-130 transport planes, 261 towed howitzers, and 100,000 rounds of 20 mm ammunition. Additionally, Botswana also purchased 18 secondhand US-made F-5 fighter planes (some of the them transferred from Canada with US permission) at a total cost of some 28 million dollars".

The US also gave away...

4 Lockheed C-130 military transports to Ethiopia
                        10 Bell helicopters to Ghana.
                        2 C-130 transports to Zimbabwe, along with seven torpedo launch control panels and 88,000 rounds of 40 mm ammunition

LOCKHEED HERCULES C-130 AIRCRAFT 20,357.8 Hrs TT
                        These were former U.S. Airforce Weather Planes. They have low hours, good maintenence, and have been upgraded. They have had airframe heavy checks, they are wing compliant, and have instrument upgrades. These are Rare
                        aircraft, seldom on the market and must be sold to qualified buyers only.
                        Please call for full 19 page specifications proposal.
                        We are currently offering (2) of these aircraft for sale.

.: Proline Sales
                        KEN MICHAELIS
                        7339 NW 32nd Ave
                        33142 - Miami
                        Florida
                        USA
                        Phone : 954434 2294 office 954 274 5401 cell

E-Mail : Prolinemarketing@aol.com
                        Webpage : http://www.PROLINESALES.net

Comment

Don't they need a twin engined replacement to act as a twin trainer for the CASA's?
                          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

They probably expect pilots to be trained on one of the CASA's !

Ah, sure, a jet for Bertie (Beech replacment) is more important then training pilots don't you know
                            IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

I think the C130 will be here when the Lord returns,we had "A" and "E" models,the "A" models lasted twice the time they were supposed to and the "E" kept flying for more than double their original planned time.The R.A.A.F has more modern C130s now and they are a fantastic,we have used them for sea rescues as in a search plane and then drop rafts and supplies etc.One was once used to chase a plane full of drugs so the pilot reckoned his C130 was an 'interceptor'.
                              Hanno
                              Hanno

Comment

Working...
                              X