Equipment: Night Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment: Night Vision

After looking through about three sites on the Irish Military that have an equipment section I soon realized the lack of Night Vision Gear. I don't know much about the DF as you can see, thats why I'm making this post. In the states almost every combat soldier has NVG.

A/N PVS-7b

So does the standard soldier get NVG gear? Are choppers casted into the night as well (do they have NVG too?)

In answer to your questions....Every PDF soldier is equipped with NVG whenever needed. The main problem is that the Irish military only has enough helicopters to transport 3 of the six airborne infantry divisions at one time. Most of the troops are transported around by the thousands of armoured personnel carriers that are manufactured up in Co. Cavan and I believe that they all have the night vision cameras and uplink capability that was developed by the FCA boffins back in the 90's when we were still providing weapons to the Rockall Liberation Front in their war against neighbouring Arranmore. Does anybody know if they intend to replace the G42 with a more mobile piece of equipment??

Comment

Shhhhhh. Remember, ex-soldier, loose lips sink ships.

Comment

Em we actually only have a small army of 8,500 peronnel isn't that right Ex-Soldier (!!!!!) ahahaha three airborne divisions, as if we had some massed secret army of clone soldiers what a jest....you saw nothing here
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Its not NVG that the yanks need, its ID cards to show friendly force tanks/APC etc Glasses pilots need also. Patriot missles should be known as fire at that target, but it may be one of ours, who cares i'm a yank.
          hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

Whatever you do guys, don't tell him about the underground air base in Galway !!!

IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

lol

Comment

This should be of help Luttman.

Thales night vision sights for Irish Defence Forces
                12 March 2002
                Thales Optics has been awarded two contracts to supply the Irish Defence Forces with the latest generation night vision equipment. The orders are worth in excess of £1 million.
                The first order is for the Sophie thermal imager that will be used for a wide range of surveillance applications including hand held and platform roles. Sophie is a hand-held thermal imager that operates in the 8-2 micron waveband. The system is designed for target detection, reconnaissance and identification by viewing the scene observed, both by day and night under poor climatic conditions. Designed for ease of use and fast implementation, the imager can be used both as portable thermal binoculars as well as a thermal camera for integration into existing platforms.
                Under the second contract, Thales' Lucie night vision goggles (NVG) along with a range of ancillaries, will be delivered for use primarily as a night driving aid. Lucie is a multi-purpose NVG, which can be supplied with a range of Image Intensified (II) tube options. Lucie offers x1 magnification and has a wide 50ø field of view and the option for fitting a x4 adapter lens.
                In addition to Lucie a small quantity of Magalie lens systems were also included. Magalie is a x6 magnified lens, which will further increase the range performance of Lucie.
                Rob Thompson, managing director of the Thales Optics site at St Asaph in North Wales, said of the announcement: "This significant contract demonstrates Thales' ability to operate a 'multi-domestic policy', ensuring that the right equipment can be provided from within Thales companies globally."

Comment

Silver I thought the undergound air base was in Abbeyshrule

Comment

There's also the Kite sight for weapons.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Let me ask some serious question here:

1. Why do we have the two longest runways in Europe located within 50 miles of each other and right near the west coast facing the USA in one direction and Russia in the other, with no real air traffic to use them?? Chicago O'Hare has a longest runway of 13,000 feet at the busiest airport in the world while Knock has 18,000 feet of runway at the quietest airport in the world.

2. Looking at a map I can see a strange sight.....Namely Finner, Knock Shannon and Tralee.......Tell me we don't have plans to rule the world with helicopter forces from Finner and Tralee supporting planes from Knock and Shannon.

3. As Christy Moore say's " Did NATO donate the dough me boys, did NATO donate the dough 18,000 feet of runway is an awful long way to go"

In the dictionary under the word "Ireland" it should read......"see land-based aircraft carrier"

Comment

Ex-soldier thanks to second part of your post G.W. Bush probale Knows are top secret plan to take over the world.

Comment

SHhhhhhhhhhhhh....abbeyshrule is the overground INVISIBLE airbase, galway is the underground one, I didn't say any of this
                          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Don't forget the secret submarine base down at the North Wall in Dublin Port & Docks, right beside the old B & I Terminal..... state of the art.....whoops!,....I think I said too much......
                            No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The only thing we have in dublin port is a reserch comple.. whoops i mean power station:D :D :D :D

Comment

Working...
                              X