Irish in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish in action

I hate to admit this but im pretty ignorant of our modern military history im wondering does anyone know of the occasions and details of when our lads were in combat, i know of Niemba and Jadotville and that something happened at At Tiri but thats it, does anyone know? I'd love to know all the details of such actions so i could tell others because Its a real shame that these things arent better known
    '....drug problem in vietnam? its not a problem everybody has some....'

"Our lads" so to speak have fought in every major conflict for hundreds of years, just because our country did not take part many men joined foreign to fight in the wars going on.

And kid look go read some books, and stop making yoursaelf sound immature by making a thread about stupid things that pop into your head.
    The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

And kid look go read some books, and stop making yoursaelf sound immature by making a thread about stupid things that pop into your head
      Sob sob sob

how quick they grow up
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Reme,ber when we used to call Gasplug Gasbag? Due to the amount of hot air that used to come out of him.

Flaming of newbies is not allowed Gassie. Give him a chance to learn the ropes.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot
          I hate to admit this but im pretty ignorant of our modern military history im wondering does anyone know of the occasions and details of when our lads were in combat, i know of Niemba and Jadotville and that something happened at At Tiri but thats it, does anyone know? I'd love to know all the details of such actions so i could tell others because Its a real shame that these things arent better known
          In reply to your question, we have a Defence Force, so as such, we don't go off into combat. The Irish Defence Forces have a proud overseas tradition in numerous United Nations peacekeeping missions, however. Several of these missions have gotten quite "hot" over the years, including the two actions you mention above, during the ONUC peacekeeping mission in the Congo. Also in 23 years in the UNIFIL (United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon) mission, the Defence Forces lost 48 soldiers, some of these in hostile actions. The At Tiri action took place in 1986 (I think). From what I remember of it, a Palestinian faction moved on at Tiri, and an Irish patrol was dispatched to intervene. During the resulting shoot out, a Cpl with 6 Inf Bn was killed. I'm open to correction on these details, but there are board members who have served there and will be able to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Henry McDonald (journalist with, I think, the Irish Times) wrote an excellent book on the Lebanon mission called "IRISHBATT", if you are ever looking for reading material on the subject. In the last couple of years, the DF gotten involved in NATO sponsored missions in Bosnia (SFOR) and Kosovo (KFOR), and are very well regarded by the NATO members involved, from what I hear..
          Last edited by Truck Driver; 31 October 2005, 21:44.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I Know for a fact the Sleeping system and weatherhavens were looked at with jealous eyes by British troops in the Former Yugoslav republics, and lets not go into their admiration for the steyr over the SA80..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

IRISHBATT is riddled with inaccuracies.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                IRISHBATT is riddled with inaccuracies.
                Away ya go, then..............
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

It got dates & locations wrong, none of which come to me now. The only one I can think of the top of my head relates to Michael McAleavey. The book alleged he got in trouble during a visit by then president Hillery, Hillery did not visit Lebanon at the time.

He also got the distance from Beirut to south Lebanon wrong, by about 100 miles if I remember correctly.

It's been ages since I read it, if I can get my hands on it again I'll provide you with a more comprehensive list.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
                    In reply to your question, we have a Defence Force, so as such, we don't go off into combat. The Irish Defence Forces have a proud overseas tradition in numerous United Nations peacekeeping missions, however. Several of these missions have gotten quite "hot" over the years, including the two actions you mention above, during the ONUC peacekeeping mission in the Congo. Also in 23 years in the UNIFIL (United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon) mission, the Defence Forces lost 48 soldiers, some of these in hostile actions. The At Tiri action took place in 1986 (I think). From what I remember of it, a Palestinian faction moved on at Tiri, and an Irish patrol was dispatched to intervene. During the resulting shoot out, a Cpl with 6 Inf Bn was killed. I'm open to correction on these details, but there are board members who have served there and will be able to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Henry McDonald (journalist with, I think, the Irish Times) wrote an excellent book on the Lebanon mission called "IRISHBATT", if you are ever looking for reading material on the subject. In the last couple of years, the DF gotten involved in NATO sponsored missions in Bosnia (SFOR) and Kosovo (KFOR), and are very well regarded by the NATO members involved, from what I hear..

At Tiri started when Maj Haddad's DFF tried to extend their area of control (the enclave) to include the village. The Irish troops in the village were from C Coy and they occupied a checkpoint and a nearby house with an OP on the roof. When the incident started the first reinforcements were from the Recce Coy and a Pln from HQ Coy. The soldier who died was Pte Stevie Griffin an engineer who was a member of the HQ Coy Pln. The incident went on for a week and culminated when an Irish 90 destroyed a DFF half track killing the driver. The DFF then withdrew from the village. A few days later family members of the DFF guy who was killed in the half track kidnappped 3 Irish drivers and killed 2, the other, seriously wounded has taken by a civilian to Bayt Yahon checkpoint and handed over to Irish troops. One of these drivers was Derek Smallhorn from the 5Bn a friend, who I met for the first time when we formed up for the trip but sadly he was murdered on 5 days before he was due to come home.

Comment

Patriot, the DFF (De Facto Forces) were an Israeli backed militia.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
                        Sob sob sob

how quick they grow up
                        A teenager calling someone "kid" - hmmm
                        "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

To hell with that, my great Grandfather was in the somme and the boer war and my dads uncle was in Aden (not the person the whole thing that happened in the middle east)
                          Theirs not to make reply,
                          Theirs not to reason why,
                          Theirs but to do and die:
                          Into the valley of Death
                          Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by mugs
                            To hell with that, my great Grandfather was in the somme and the boer war and my dads uncle was in aidan (not the person the whole thing that happened in the middle east)
                            Christ, I thought he was interfering with a board member there for a sec! "Aden" might allay some worries...
                            "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Mugs, why do you so quickly dismiss the actions at At Tiri & elsewhere?

Comment

Working...
                              X