E.U. Rapid Reaction Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.U. Rapid Reaction Force

Just curious to hear what peoples views are on the new rapid reaction force and should Ireland be involved in it. If so how much of an involvement??:flagwave:
    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

I believe that we are correct to be involved in it. Our committment is a infantry Battalion of 750 troops and support equipment ie APC etc.
    Our committment is just correct for the size of the DF.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

I agree but isn't there a political problem in that Irish troops cannot be deployed abroad without a UN mandate. shouldnt this be changed to allow trops to go on missions mandated by the EU but not the UN? An example of this being the situation in Macedonia where Irish troops couldn't serve

Comment

ERRF. I'm all in favour of going the whole hog and deploying the whole DF with or without UN approval. The cabinet should make a decision and damn the old women of the PANA/AFRI/Green/Labour/Shinner alliance.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Hear Hear

Comment

Bang on once again Groundhog. Could the gov change it without the moaners making a song and dance about it???
            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

I used to have some reservations about our involvement in the RRF.

However, I now believe that it would be a good idea. It may also help lead to the formation of an EU army in the future - which may not be a bad thing to counterbalance US domination of world affairs.
              IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

I would rather side with the US than with the EU.

That's going to make me unpopular, eh?
                Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                  ye're already unpopular!

Woo hoo!
                  Meh.

Comment

Could the gov change it without the moaners making a song and dance about it???

Not a hope. The UN has the status of a religion in the eyes of some, without it's blessing any operation has the legitimacy of a registry office wedding.

Sorry Yooklid, I support the US war on Iraq but one global superpower is not a healthy option. Inevitably it will become a force of repression globally. The EU doesn't have to replace the USSR as a counter-balance. But it does need to be big enough and powerful enough to make the US listen when it speaks. On the other side of the coin, any EU army cannot be dominated by the big countries, UK, France and Germany.
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                    X