Alouette III - 40th Birthday !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alouette III - 40th Birthday !

The Alouette III helicopters will have been in operation for 40 years this year. The first one entered service in Nov. 1963.
    In my opinion, they have been the best aircraft the Air Corps has operated to date. They are the "workhorses" of the fleet.

My question is -
    Are there any anniversary events, or suchlike, planned to mark their 40 years of service to the Air Corps ?
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Ahem...
    Happy Birthday to you , happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear ...eh... Chopper.... happy birthday too you!
    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

The Air Corps certainly have gotten great service out of them. But hell, how good is their condidtion? Are they even capable of mounting any mission beside recon at this point?
      Meh.

Comment

There is a rumour of a fly-in of A111's to celebrate the event. Several nations still have them on their strength.
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Maybe they'll buy ours and we can get some better stuff.

But jeez, if you think about it, they've seen some changes....
          Meh.

Comment

Might be sticking my neck out a bit, but I think the A111 will still be in service with the IAC long after the Dauphins have gone.

Comment

No, you're not. They'd still have the Comets and Spitfires in business if they thought they could get away with it....
              Meh.

Comment

Comets???, ya mean Vampires don't ya???
                No, I mean the A111 is more suited to it's job then the D11 is to it's. The A111 is really a superb peice of machinary and a credit to those who were involved in it's procurement, which is more than can be said about other aspects of Irish government practice.

edited for silly spelling by Turkey23.30 17-04-03

Comment

No, Comet tanks. There's something for you to look up. Should have got the Chaffe, but then, as usual short term gain, long term screw up!
                  Meh.

Comment

Doh!!! this is the Air Corps page, however, I take your point, and you are probally correct, but if we were invaded to-morrow, how many old Comet would they attempt to start as infantry support tanks.[ther is supposed to be a few still around]
                    Personaly, I don't think MBT'S are of much use in this country, now that we are madly off thread, but, I would see some sense in buying some of the BA's retired Challanger mk1's.
                    Unfortunatly sense is something that Irish governments do not seem to have a lot of.

Comment

Unlikly, the reason they were withdrawn from service is because they ran out of ammo. Better to turn them into APCs which I think was done as "Kangeroos" by the aussies. Although now I am interested, I will start a new thread in the general section - "Defence Procurement, best and worst buys"
                      Meh.

Comment

Just in case anyone here never saw an Air Corps Alouette.....

Comment

Any updates ???

Comment

I heard they're planning a big surprize for the 50th
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Very droll Mr Molloy :D

Comment

Working...
                              X