The S-61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The S-61

The S-61 is currently in getting it's repaint, and it's Air Corps reg, should be out by the weekend.
    Stop moaning, it's a step in the right direction.:D :D :D :flagwave:
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Turkey,
    Any idea what colours it will recieve ?

Could you get any pics ?
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

As far as I can make out they just putting on the Green/white/ orange, the reg number,and Irish Air Corps in place of Irish Coast Guard, so it will still be white and 'Dauphin' red. Do not think I will get a photo, might thou'!
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Could it land on eithne?
        Meh.

Comment

Nope, probably too heavy and the rotor disk is a little to large as well, deck on Eithne is designed for a 5 tonne class heli (HPTMurph?) ... no harpoon either. Should be able to HIFR though.

Comment

I saw a very clean looking S-61 fly over Dublin city centre a week or so ago, could they have sent it for a powerwash before the repaint?
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Correct the Eithnes deck is not stressed to take the S61 or seaking. yes HIFR tests were conducted with The RAF back in 1987...not a problem as fueling points are standard......Again the rotor disk is far to large and the deck space could not handle the aircraft.....The preffered metod of fueling with these beasts ashore when on operations is the hot method....ie everything turning and burning.....interesting operation for the fueller as well.....I did this in a former occupation with S61 and Sa365f...not avery pleasant expierience.I don't think the Eithne carries heli fuel any more (open to correction) so HIFRs may not take place.The fun bit is earthing the helo.The rotor builds up a massive charge of static electricity as it rotates and this has to be discharged before fuelling can commence........so some poor plebe is sent out with an earthingrod before the transfer lline is passed.The winch line is usually the earthing point........So there you stand with a metal rod attached by a chain to a metal plate that you are standing on trying to touch the flailing winch line if you fail to touch it with the rod and touch it with your hand....ZAPPPP! now attach the winchline to the fuelling line and let the winch operator reel it in....So now the helo is at about fifty feet connected to a pitching and reeling ship with fuel being passed at 90gallons perminute and your standing under it.......
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It isn't going anywhere untill the problem of insurance or should i say lack of insurance!! is sorted out. (I understand your no claims bonus has suffered this last year!That is according to the Sunday Tribune two weeks back. :p )
                Last edited by Guest; 26 April 2003, 20:12.

Comment

HIFR in an S-61!??! um....NO! Why? because the pressure refuel nozzle is on the opposite side from the winch door!

She's 72'10" Long with a rotor disc of 62', with an all up mass of @10tonnes! I'd humbly suggest that the states war canoe Eithne ain't up to the job!

I trust she serves you well! The S-61 is afterall Queen of the Skies, a real darlin'!

:flagwave:

Comment

How much effort would it take to Mod Eithne to do it? Or is it just out of the question????

-y
                    Meh.

Comment

Well I imagine you could start by redesigning everything aft of the beam. The aft decks for starters would have to be rebuilt,and the helideck strengthened,as well as the harpoon honeycomb moved further aft...did I mention that the helideck must also be increased in length.
                      The hangar would be completely useless unless you had a heli capable of folding itself in 2. Eithnes helideck is relativey narrow also,further limiting options..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Its not a feasible option....There is no requirement for the S61 to be operational from a floating platform.

Much of the expertise gained in flight deck operations has retired from the Aircorps.

The conversion of the helo to allow HIFRs is a far more feasible option.

The chance s of the two rescue media being on a n incident site at the same time are slim so I don't think the projectw ould even be considered.The only reason the RAF seakings were trialled was give the return distance or the decrease in loiter time due to distance travelled.I think thge day of supported Naval aviation has past...and the inception of larger helos is the future.

Please bear in mind that the SAR role was only the secondary role for the Dauphin at sea...the prmary was to Identify illegal FVS.The limitations were so constrictive that in the event of a major incident that the helo would have been grounded any way due to severe restictions in the operations envelope. ...Pitch and roll being the desicive factors
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

What would be the ideal helicopter to fly off Eithne then???
                          Meh.

Comment

In the alleyways on the tween decks the designers schematics are posted on the bulkheads to indicate different systems and on the heli deck sitsa..............Lynx....

Obviously some body had this in mind when the ship was being designed.......a revised version of the dauphin would be ideal ....but the chosen version was a poor choice.

The ship is really to small to carry an effective helo and it was merely payin lipservice to the role.a far larger ship would be required for heli ops in the sea states that Eithne operates in.

Comment

In the event the design is the smallest vessel capable of operating a Heli in atlantic conditions. 72m at the waterline is the absolute minimum..
                              The harpoon is possibly inferior also,given the seastates its expected to operate in.
                              Could the Bearcat in use by the canooks and US be superior? It hauls the heli onto the deck,instead of relying on the pilot to judge the roll..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X