Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mowag Piranhas

Originally posted by hptmurphy
    Its going to be an armend version of the pirana...the infantry have preordained this..the cav wanted a six wheeeler. The infantry overruled them. A procuremnet part went overseas yesterday with a procuremnet budget of 25 million euro!...This is straight from the horses mouth.

Lets never doubt the murf again!!

Originally posted by sledger

Instead, the Army is looking at buying 15 more Mowag armoured personnel carriers from Switzerland at a cost of €20m.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

so all they are doing is excerising the final portion of the option they got when they first purchased the mowags?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

You mean exercising the option they ignored? They will now be paying todays prices for the Cars,whereas if they had Exercised the option back in 2000,they would have been paying 1999 prices(£1m each).

Yet another example of the government exercising the false economy. Save today,spend more tomorrow.

Comment

Will these vehicles go to the cav or the infantry?
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

infanty of course they were left short 15 vehicles in the last procuremnet...AMLs for ever.....will out live some of the current users..i rest my case...
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well let's hope there another reason, recently Australia and the US have deployed a substantial numbers of heavier vehicles to Iraq, Bushmaster, ASV150 etc. The US has increased the order for ASV150s from 90+ to approx. 850 plus a further 250+ for Iraq's "new" army.

My hope is that we follow Belgium's lead and order a Medium, Multi Purpose, Mine Protected Armoured vehicle, the Belgians ordered the Dingo 2, however my choice, as though I'm sure everyone knows, would be for a version of the MP44/Bushmaster from Timoney.

It seems that operational experience there is leading to a requirement for this heavier type of vehicle.

IAS

Comment

Are we to presume that the new Mowags will have different turrets and armament to the existing ones?

Comment

New Mowag - Cav & Arty

A new Mowag Board composed of Cav & Arty (Lt Col I/C) are sourcing Mowags which can fulfill the individual requirements of both corps. The initial tender will be for around 15 Mowags depending on the spec (€25m only buys so much). The Cav are looking at a 30mm canon to replace the AML 20, and later, to replace the AML 90 with a 105mm gun. Both types are available 'off the shelf' with no modifications required. No idea what the Arty are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by milmo
                  No idea what the Arty are looking at.
                  Possibly a CP vehicle, or maybe even for use as an armoured gun tractor. Anybody have any ideas what sort of trailer load a Mowag can handle?

Comment

Proberly either a surveillance/recce vehicle or a target acquisition vehicle mounting a ground surveillance radar, as these were in the RFP for the LTAVs.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                      Proberly either a surveillance/recce vehicle or a target acquisition vehicle mounting a ground surveillance radar, as these were in the RFP for the LTAVs.

this is maybe a similar vehicle to what the DF could get, it's called the coyote in Canadian service, based on the Piranha, it carries a radar system similar to the one the DF, it also has the 25mm bushmaster cannon.
                      Attached Files
                      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

This might spread some light on what they are looking for.

Its about a compition for a fire control computer system, but if you look at a few of the diagrams you can see some Mowags.
                        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

A new Mowag Board composed of Cav & Arty (Lt Col I/C) are sourcing Mowags which can fulfill the individual requirements of both corps. The initial tender will be for around 15 Mowags depending on the spec (€25m only buys so much). The Cav are looking at a 30mm canon to replace the AML 20, and later, to replace the AML 90 with a 105mm gun. Both types are available 'off the shelf' with no modifications required. No idea what the Arty are looking at.
                          Piranha IV with 30mm Cannon. Still carries 8 Passengers too.

Comment

Question:

i understand that the Mowag contract allowed for 40 to be purchased straightaway , with options for 25 more, thus bringing the number of Mowag III 's in service up to 65.
                            Were all 65 purchased, and thus the new 15 Mowag contract bring the number in service up to 80 ?
                            or will the new 15 just bring the number up to 55 ??
                            regards,a nd thanks ,
                            Coxy.

Comment

I think the original contract was 40 ordered with options for 40 more.

Only 25 were ordered before the option ran out. These 15 additional vehicles will bring the total number up to 80.

Again I think this is the case, but could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X