X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career course instructors

Hi all

There is something that has been annoying me for a while now and I just wanted to get a few more opinions on it to make sure that I'm not going insane.

My question is this.

How can someone be allowed to instruct on a PNCO's course when they have only been in the rank for a year?

I was on an NCO's course a few years back and I was taken off it because I came down with an illness on the first day.
    I didn't mind this too much because I got to see the world cup.

What did annoy me was that when I did it the following year, I noticed that a lot of the instructors were students on my original course. This methinks is bad form.

What do the rest of ya'll think?

Eldavido

It isn't bad form. There is a mix of instructors.

One of the reasons is or should be to show you what you should be aiming for as a standard

secondly the knowledge of what needs to be covered is fresher in their minds and they can relate it better to you.

Just because they are new does not mean they are not skilled.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

True but the standard from a few was indeed bad. Especally when they tried their hand at tactics.

Comment

No first or even second year corporal should be instructing pots they just don't have the relevant experience, its a joke no matter how good they are.
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

What I noticed was newly promoted corporals who used aggression and bullying as a substitute for knowledge and instruction.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Any new corporal coming off a PNCO's course is quickly brought down to earh by his/her more experienced peers and also by the mess they make of their first recruit camp.

Comment

I think that once you complete your PNCO's course, that is when the real job of learning to be an NCO starts. People teaching Pte's to be an NCO should have at least 2 or 3 years experience I think.

Comment

ICUN - you've just finished a course. Can you write lesson plans ? Can you show others how to ?

The course isn't driven by new PNCOs; it's up to the course IC to make sure the right balance is struck.

Back when I was a junior 2-striper the PDF cadre were looking around for promising junior NCOs to instruct on pots ; those who were good were tagged for it - I see the same thing happening today.

Comment

Its always been the same since the Bde Cse was introduced. 1 Unit runs it and their NCO's instruct on it. This year one of the Instructors had recently failed to finish the Stds course and was instructing on the Pots a few weeks later. Also the year after I did my course a student from my course was instructing and was no where near the standard required
                  Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

i think its down to availablity of nco's and interest, you have to have the bodies to train, the old more experienced ncos have other commitments as well and tend to be less available while new nco's want to give out what they got the previous year (see fm's comments)
                    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

There's a lot more to it than writing lesson plans!

I think that no matter how good you are, a few years of experience teaching recruits and Pte's would be invaluable before you can advance to teaching people to be NCO's.

Comment

There certainly is a lot more; however it's an illustrative point about where a junior NCO can be of assistance (not the most important one by any means) and as I said they should be the best available.

New does not mean bad.

I remain convinced of this unless anyone here wants to say they got their stripes out of a lucky bag

Comment

The course I was on had a limited number of good instructors. The rest was made up of headless chicken type junior NCO's that were found out as soon as the akward questions begun to flow.

One even delivered a fieldcraft lesson using nothing but a manual. This was directly after a PDF NCO gave us a lesson on MOI.

'Hmm', we thought to ourselves collectively. 'This bloke hasn't a clue what he's at. '

It was an insult to our intelligence.

Comment

Ps. No disrespect to new NCO's. I do agree that new does not mean bad. but surely there must be a vetting process done for such an important course?

I know that when I came out of the NCO factory I found it difficult to teach recruits never mind POT NCO's

Comment

When I finished my PNCO's course I had gained alot of useful training however I did have a lot of nonsense in my head i.e. full of myself and holding up unrealistically high standards. It's only when I actually started instructing and working as an NCO that I learned how to deal with people and earn their respect. Looking back I have to say that the real challenge comes after the PNCO course when you have to develop as an NCO. Lesson plans are an aid, you must still know your stuff in order to instruct properly and you have to get your hands dirty and stay in practice.
                              A new NCO would be good at instructing on some aspects of a course with the knowledge still fresh in mind, the older NCO can lend his expertise in the aspects that suit an experienced instructor.

Comment

Working...
                              X