Humvee on Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humvee on Trial

Just spotted a Humvee in the Curragh today. The transport school have one in on trial. It had a 6.5 Ltr Diesel engine. All round armour, weighing a couple of ton. I think that they have some in mind for overseas deployment. I will try and get some pics of it.
    Glaine ár gcroí
    Neart ár ngéag
    Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

was it devenitly a Humvee or was it possible a Mowag Eagle Variant Of The Humvee?? Oh what colour is this vechicle sprayed just out of curiousity??
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Humvee

It was a Humvee OK (I seen plenty of them in Mogadishu 93). It was sprayed in DPM colours like the Mowags.
      Glaine ár gcroí
      Neart ár ngéag

Comment

Originally posted by Fianóglach
        It was a Humvee OK (I seen plenty of them in Mogadishu 93). It was sprayed in DPM colours like the Mowags.
        Was there a turret mounted weapon?

Comment

The DF have tested many vehicles in the past for this role - the Eagle and the Panhard VBL both spring to mind. I wouldn't go celebrating just yet.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

i thought they cancelled this order anyway

Comment

only because they couldn't find a vehicle to fit their needs
              Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

I'd be curious to see a photo of the thing.

Didn't the Irish have some HMMWV experience in Somalia? I seem to recall a piccie in An Cosantoir once of an Irish lad in a Hummer.

NTM
                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Woudn't mind seeing us have a few of them, i presume they'd be for overseas operations, can't exactly imagine one rolling up outside the AIB in town can you?
                  What is you major malfunction numbnuts!
                  Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!

The last words of Sgt. Hartman

Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
                    Was there a turret mounted weapon?
                    If it's the armored version, then a crew-served weapon can be/is mounted on top - not really a "turret" though.
                    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker
                      I'd be curious to see a photo of the thing.

Didn't the Irish have some HMMWV experience in Somalia? I seem to recall a piccie in An Cosantoir once of an Irish lad in a Hummer.

NTM
                      No 2 Irish Tpt Coy UNOSOM II were given two Humvees on "loan" by the American forces there at that time. When the Irish pulled out in 1994, they were handed back. They were sprayed white.
                      Glaine ár gcroí
                      Neart ár ngéag

Comment

i like the look of that piece of kit.
                        Cannon to right of them,
                        Cannon to left of them,
                        Cannon in front of them
                        Volley'd and thunder'd;
                        Storm'd at with shot and shell,
                        Boldly they rode and well,
                        Into the jaws of Death,
                        Into the mouth of Hell
                        Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
                          If it's the armored version, then a crew-served weapon can be/is mounted on top - not really a "turret" though.
                          The Irish army would be more likely to go for a version where the weapon is protected by a turret....assuming there is a weapon.

Comment

The LTAV (and the new Piranhas) were to bave been equipped with a remote weapon station.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

That bloody thing has more armour on it than my M1114.

I have no idea what variant it is, it doesn't have a type-designation in US service that I'm aware of. (Whilst probably has a lot in common with the M1114, the doors are wrong and the air conditioner intake is wrong).

Speaking of turret weapons, here's an M1114 with a remote .50cal.
                              http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/uploads/la...2004-02-06.jpg It may be the same remote turret that is going on the new MOWAGs, I'm not sure.

Damned if I can't find the photo of the prototype, but many years ago, AM General mounted an M242 onto a HMMWV to make a fire support vehicle. It's the one that Arnie saw and said "Can I get one of those without the gun?" to make the first civilian Hummer.

Tamiya made a model of it, http://tamiya.com/japan/products/lis...img/35143m.jpg
                              but the Army didn't buy it.

NTM
                              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Working...
                              X