The Warship Preservation Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Warship Preservation Trust

I discovered the existence of the Warship Preservation Trust yesterday. I was in Manchester this weekend to see Man Utd thrash Newcastle. To kill a couple of hours before the game I visited the Imperial War Museum North, a stones throw from Old Trafford. My Manchester A-Z shows HMS Bronington parked in the Manchester Ship Canal behind the Museum. I’m no seaweed but I decided this was worth a visit. However I was disappointed to find the canal empty but for a lot of water.

Anyway, home again I googled HMS Bronington and discovered that she is now at Birkenhead Dock, Liverpool. It was probably stolen by those granny-bashing, bin-dipping scally bastrads. Also in Liverpool are HMS Plymouth, HMS Onyx, LCT 7074 and U-534. So I have put Birkenhead on my To-Do list.

Bronington is a Ton Class minesweeper, launched in 1953, of which 119 were built. They are all named for British towns and villages ending in Ton, hence the class name. She was called HMS Humber from 1954 to 1958. Bronington was once commanded by the Prince of Wales, presumably this is why she is in a museum now. From an Irish perspective Bronington is of interest because she is a sister ship of HMS Alverton, Blaxton and Oulston. These are better known to us respectively as LE Banba, Fola and Gráinne after we bought them in the early 70s.

Anyway, sounds like an interesting visit if you're ever in Liverpool.
    Last edited by Groundhog; 14 March 2006, 20:10.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Also worth a vist if you are ever in liverpool is the Merseyside Maritime museum

. http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/

.It is situated in the albert dock .

Last time i paid a vist , there was a very good translantic slavery, Irish Famine,and Titanic exhibition.
    Their was some artifacts,and memoribilia from the ship itself on display.

The museum of Liverpool life ( about 50 yards away) is also 'must do' and worth a vist .

It charts the history of Lancashire/merseyside and its people throughout the decades, from last century to the present, and their is a very good account of the irish community (ie,Jim Larkin) there too.

The short trip on the Ferry to Birkinhead is also at the same location.

Last edited by haribo; 20 March 2006, 16:14.

Comment

Anyway the bad news is due to lack of funding the ships are to removed from here and the Museum group disbanded.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
        Anyway the bad news is due to lack of funding the ships are to removed from here and the Museum group disbanded.
        Hopefully back to Manchester.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Problem with Birkinhead is its Location, and the fact that If you are Visiting Liverpool, There is nothing else to see there, once you have taken the "Ferry Cross the Mersey"(where they play that bloody song over and over and over and over)and find it closed(as it so often is).
          I visited once, but it was as I say closed, and I didnt see the point in returning.

Its surprising they are not in the Maritime Museum.

Is the Weather Map still in the dock?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Its always a shame when a museum is closed

What they should really do is keep the museum and disband man u questionable parantage
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
            X