Queries about future NS transport and training vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queries about future NS transport and training vessels

I read with great interest Goldie Fish's comments (Question about OTO Melara) about the Cill Airne. Does anyone know when the Nautical College will open and when the Naval Service will get a training vessel ? And were the money to be made available, would the Naval Service require a vessel as large as LE Emer, as Goldie suggested, or would a much smaller craft, i.e. similar to those in service with the RN's Training Squadron, suffice ?

Also, can anyone tell me if Ireland, as part of its commitment to provide up to 850 troops to the European Rapid Reaction Force (ERRF), is required to provide sea transport for such a force ? If yes, when will the Irish Government make a decision on chartering or even procuring such a vessel ? I have seen no mention of the need for such a vessel on any Irish Government website.

If there is no requirement for Ireland to provide for a naval transport vessel, then you can be assured that no such ship will be chartered or bought.

I'd be grateful for any clarification on the above queries.

Many thanks.

Andy2003

Welcome Andy..good start.
    A combined vessel would undoubtedly be ideal.A ship that could be used for training and resupply already sits idle in Cork dockyard,a fully equipped cargo ship,purchased after the vessel was detained for non payment of fees..But it would involve the department spending more than 50c.
    The only "requirement" if you could call it such, is the DCMNR requires an ocean going tug on standby for salvage operations. However while the Oil and gas exploration continues there is no shortage of such vessels just hanging about,ready to be used if required.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The Jeanne D'Arc that name sounds very familiar can anybody fill me in?
      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

"Helicopter Carrier" (Not dismissive, just don't know the exact description) of the French. Now used as a training vessel for Cadets. Can be made wartime operational in a couple of months I believe.

-C
        Meh.

Comment

I think that goldie was referring to something more like the ATS Argus though.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

due to decommission in 2005-10

Comment

I never mentioned anything like that?! What I speak of is a general cargo ship,with dry holds and derricks,suitable for loading cargo or vehicles through a deck hatch....
              Whats the point of a heli capable ship if we have no helis? A bit of open deck space is all you need for vertrep.
              It could/would be used for training cadets and seamen in navigation,seamanship engine room operations etc,and also serve as a vessel capable of resupplying UN or EC peacekeeping missions. Jeanne D'arc is a feckin aircraft carrier,would never fit in haulbowline...
              I NEVER MENTIONED HELICOPTERS!!!!!
              CARGO CARGO CARGO

BG knows the ship I am talking about,I forget her name,she is about 10000 tonnes displacement....ah forget it....russia is selling off an old boomer..lets buy it for fishery protection...

THAT WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!!

Comment

this thread had such potential....

Comment

What about eh argus? thats just a converted Ro-ro containership
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Contender Bezant was never Ro-Ro. I have deleted some of the less useful posts here,in an attempt to get back on track.
                    We have no use for a helicopter carrier..we have nothing to put on one. However,as our troops do regularly go overseas on operations that usually require logistics support,if not actually providing logs themselves,then some vessel capable of carrying cargo should be considered.
                    A need has been identified since the days of Kowloon Bridge for an Ocean going tug on standby around our coasts should another Flag of convenience second hand tanker decide to loose power off our coast.
                    A training vessel for civilian and naval crews is also a consideration as the best place to learn is hands on,not in the classroom.

Comment

Something along the lines of the vessel Kanimbla currently in use by Australia couldnt go wrong. Amphibious capability can be adapted for sea control. It could provide an asset to any EURRF naval operation,as our NS have some of the best experience in boardings at sea in rough weather. Fearless ,intrepid etc would be ok too if they were not so old and oil fired.
                      I think some arab country was using a RO-RO for a long time. The UK is also currently leasing ships like this for operations..

Remember this ship was probably bought dirt cheap from the USN reserve fleet. I am sure there are plenty more just like it anchored somewhere waiting for some US friendly nation(like bertieland) to make a ridiculous offer on them.And with a crew of 180,sure they wouldnt empty the base either..the big helis should be arriving at some stage(hopefully) and wouldnt it be nice if they had somewhere decent to land?
                      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

It doesn't matter how cheap we could get it. Here's what's important:

1) What's the crew req?
                        2) How much does it cost to run?
                        3) Does it fit within the current mission parameters of the NS

The answer to 1 and 2 is probably a lot. The answer to 3 is definitly no. The US would probably GIVE it to us, along with training.

We do not have the political will for this.

-Y
                        Meh.

Comment

1.Crew 180.
                          2.Diesel engines,same as the current fleet..the usage would not be much greater than for any other vessel,given that it would not spend as much of its time pounding through the north atlantic chasing fishermen
                          3.Yes..at a push..EURRF,Resupply,training,

Comment

Crew 180? Isn't this, close to (and I am willing to be shot down on this one as I have no idea for sure) 10~15% of the NS personnel?

-Y
                            Meh.

Comment

eithne has a full crew of 85

Comment

Working...
                              X