Joining the Fca before 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Fca before 17

Does it happen? I'm still in school and I'm raring to go. I'm 16.
    Does anyone know if I would get recruited now. I'll be 17 in october

Come back in October.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

you could probably enquire now and get the ball rolling but you couldnt actually become a member until you are 17

Comment

There's no point in him enquiring now, he's too far off 17. The earliest he could turn up is September.
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I know of 16 yr-olds who've gone to recruit camps......lately.
          Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Comment

They've not gone legally. Any unit who signs up recruits under 17 is exposing itself to undue dangers.

Comment

yep
              Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Comment

Fca

well thanks lads for that, i'll have to come back then in october!

:flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave:

Comment

I know of a good few who have done their recruit camps and they were no where near 17. It happins in a lot of units especially in rural areas. It should be compulsary when joining up to give in a birth cert (my unit asked it from me) just to cover themselves legally.
                  Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                  http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

It is compulsory.

It could get worse, they may be raising the age to 18.

Comment

I say bring it. Maybe we can get ride of the real children who think this is all a game and think they are John Rambo
                      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

We were all asked for out birth cert when I joined. I'm sure Fiachra could wait just 5 short months to join, after you do show a keen interest.

But I have seen it. 14 year olds at a recruit camp, not in my own unit but at camps. Little squirts in baggy uniforms, marching out of step and lugging about what to them is a heavy rifle. Waist of time, money, uniform and resources.

Comment

Fiachra, contact your local unit and get the ball rolling. you must be 17 years old on or before the date of your attestation (swearing in). but it typically takes 8-16 weeks for the required paperwork to be processed and the required medical exam and hearing test to be completed. there is no reason why the necessary paperwork and tests cannot be carried out while you wait for oct. if it is all completed before then it is just a matter of waiting the extra couple of weeks until your birthday to be sworn in. my sub-unit gets under age applicants each time we recruit and those that are within a few months of their 17th birthday are dealt with in the above manner, but are made to wait until they turn 17 before being attested. any younger applicants are told to come back the following year.
                          with regards to birth certs, each recruiting officer is compelled to ensure your date of birth is correct by checking your birth cert or passport. if he chooses not to he is the person who is accountable when the shit hits the fan.

furthermore , introducing a min age limit of 18 years just means you will have an 18 year old baggy-uniformed-out-of-step recruit instead of a 17 year old baggy-uniformed-out-of-step recruit.
                          cull the herd before they get a chance to breed!
                          for ****s sake

Comment

What unit will want to process a 16 year-old this side of camp?

Comment

it takes very little effort to fill out the initial paperwork, attach 2 photos and pass it on to the units orderly room for processing. as it takes a minimum of 8 weeks for sec clearance to be processed it would hopefully be sitting in that units mailbox when they reform in sept and ready for the next stage of recruiting, i.e. med tests and audiograms, which will take another 3-4 weeks to arrange.
                              for ****s sake

Comment

Working...
                              X