Off Road Training - AF154

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Road Training - AF154

About to start off road training for AF-154. Any hints on what to expect from people who have completed it?
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

You will be expected to be able to drive a Nissan off road..in water...make assumptions on ground..when to use four wheel drive in what ranges and general jut not get the Damned thing stuck..one piece of advice..remove the spare wheel from under the nissan and throw it in the back before you lose it.

.It has happened..also because of its proxmitiy to the grond it may leave you sitting on a prevoiusly unknown piece of high ground.
    Also lose about 5 psi per tyre when going in the soft stuff...spreads the load. LId i knew allways had a pocket tyre pressure gauge in his pocket...when finished on soft stuff stop a nearest garage and re inflate..saves wear on the tyres.
    Don't wear helmets in cars unless there is a full head rest both for passenger and driver..you'll break your neck.

Remember to keep your thumbs out side the steering wheel on the rim as if the steering whips back you'll break them.

As for water crossings the car will stll drive with water up to the window sills..but rememeber to select a low gear..and most importantly maintain positve pressure on the accelortator to stop water been drawn back into the cylinders..Ain't no fun haveing to get out in three feet of water and pushing a vehicle witha blown engine.

If in doubt of depth..send a truck across first or have a guy wade out...don't guess it..it can be embarrassing.

All in al a rairly good rule is high revs low gearsl Once you have the revs up you can do about anything....and cahnge aceration for anticipation..you might get there last..but you get there in one piece......

Crucila thing is never put your self in a poistion where you are not sure jou can get out from...and don't try learning this the hard way by having to get out and push!

have fun...I know I did!
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 21 May 2006, 18:51.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

sounds like fun i wanna do it!
      The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Thanks for the info
        Much appreciated

Whats the largest angle approx you can take the old nissan through before your going to tip?

Have gone off road before in Hilux and Hilux Surf, mainly beach, sand dune, but not much mud. Is there much difference between the old and new nissans off road, Turbo lag etc, torque, response etc.

Any other essential pieces of kit, tips, tricks etc.
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Older ones are apparently better offroad
          The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Depends on the ground . Stop when all you can see is sky over the bonnet! 1 in five gradient is a good rule of thumb!

have a shovel and a tow rope handy...and a mobile phone..and coffee..recoveries can take some time. walk the ground before you drive it.

Yeah the older series nissans are far greater off road.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

If your are taking the Nissan GR off road..be prepared to walk back..I have no faith in their off road abilty. any thing that size with such low ground clearance is is a night mare waiting to happpen.

Best off road vehicle was the old Toyotas.....

I had a very good instructor whos forte is off road biking so I was well thought the pros and cons of the subject! I got wet a couple of times but it was a well learned lesson

Comment

Thanking you kindly

Comment

Back up there, a nissan will drive with water up to the window sills?
                  Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

If the air intake is clear and theres enough exhaust pressure (revs are good) it'll run under water no probs. But as murph said, positive pressure through the injectors and fuel pump is needed. Slow and steady like. During the floods last year, we had a diesel pump engine running completley submerged except for quickly fitted snorkel! It wont like it, and you cant do it for too long, but it will work

Top Gears Infamous Hilux Test
                    Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
                    Last edited by ZULU; 22 May 2006, 02:38.

Comment

There is a couple of river fords in the Fermoy and Rathgormack areas which are very good for practising river crossings. Yeah the Cars will leak a bit..but nothing major..they were bulit for this kind of shit..problem is very few people have the bottle to try it..and bring a camera!

Oh if it's don't forget to put the bung in if its an armoured car..its between the drivers feet!
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 May 2006, 11:09.

Comment

Its a manditory part of the test now apparently. Before you do it you will have to get a lecture and sign to say you understood it(removes any liability from them) then you walk the course, Then you will be shown how the pros do it. Then you drive it yourself under instruction. Finally you drive it yourself with no help. I am really looking forward to this too. Goin to the curragh for in soon enough.
                        I did it on the old Killworth course a couple of years ago. It was great craic. Luckly we had a recovery vehicle in camp.
                        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

hee hee..seen a guy told to put the back wheels of a mercedes truck on a grass verge..and was then told he had passed the off road section of his test......

Comment

Have just completed weekend off road course for missans and even got a go in the merc trucks. Have pics will upload soon. Have video clips as well but are in 3gp format and dont know how to convert. Pity the course was dryer than ca camels armpit

Comment

You can get a 3gp converter here: http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Audio-...ools/19320.exe
                              Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

Working...
                              X