Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puma 242

From Irish Air Pics...

"Ex- Ethiopean Air Force Serial 850, on lease from the manufacturer. Served with the Advanced Flying Training School. While with the IAC it was evaluated for troop carrying and used to fly food to farms snowed in during the winter of 1981/2. Returned to SNIAS 16 February 1983 and delivered to CEV (Centre d'Essais en Vol, French government test establishment) as F-ZLAT, August 1995."

So the Puma was evaluated for troop carrying. What conclusions were reached and why was it that Pumas were not bought subsequently? Was the Puma tasked for much troop-carrying?
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

It was leased for a year. I've seen photos of troops (possibly ARW) jumping from it and it carrying a 120 mortar underslung.

Comment

Ah the winter of 1983...I remember watching bales being pushed out the door of 242 to feed sheep...
      The army wanted to get 2 super Pumas once the lease ended, but instead the dauphin was pushed as a troop carrying heli....and thats all i'll say about that..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

my dad has pictures of himself and a number of other vets being airlifted to farms to treat some emergency cases! i'll see i can dig them up...
        The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Yes it was Halie selassies personal transport..you could see the patches from where it had been hit up..Dev..that photo is Wings over Ireland!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Not purchased subsequently because the SA365 was seen as the all singing and dancing..and could fit on a ship...5 dauphins could do the job of two Pumas..and they were well subsidiesed being brand new..and there was no waiting list.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
              Yes it was Halie selassies personal transport
              So we had Jah's helicopter? Righteous.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

While in Monaghan I remember reading a warning that was issued about the "downdraft wind effect" of a Puma as compared to an A111...
                Last edited by B Inman; 28 May 2006, 20:40.

Comment

Well of course there was always the risk in Monaghan of a British Army Puma dropping in...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi all
                    Yeah,the mind just boggles at the thought of a rich (well, by comparison to Ethiopia, back then) country getting a second-hand heli from famine-stricken Africa. Everyone wanted to keep it but the Dauphin was the Great White Hope....
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                      Well of course there was always the risk in Monaghan of a British Army Puma dropping in...

I was there. The heli was a Gazelle. The pilot was a Staff Sgt and the passenger was a L/Cpl. The pilot has armed with a BAP in a shoulder holster and the L/Cpl had a BAP in a 58 ptn holster. It was 1977 we still had 1937 ptn web gear.
                      Last edited by B Inman; 28 May 2006, 22:59.

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman
                        I was there. The heli was a Gazelle. The pilot was a Staff Sgt and the passenger was a L/Cpl. The pilot has armed with a BAP in a shoulder holster and the L/Cpl had a BAP in a 58 ptn holster. It was 1977 we still had 1937 ptn web gear.
                        Spot on, I was there the following year and heard the story of, after it landed, the BOS rang the main gate and ordered that it be kept closed.
                        it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                        Winston churchill

Comment

Working...
                        X