PDA

View Full Version : Nautical terms and bitching about pontoons...

WES
13th June 2006, 20:45
Wait a while...let them think I have all this stuff in my head.

The Information comes from a Fine book, property of one HPT Murphy.
The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea, which has the answer to all those nautical questions you always wondered about.

Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, eh, GF.

Where did that one come from?:biggrin:

ZULU
13th June 2006, 20:57
You probably were reading Ray Darcy's Fix it Friday books weren't you:biggrin:

On other news, It seems like the Royal Cork Yacht Club has donated free of charge marina Pontoon sections to the Naval Base. Nice to see the Officers have a place for their own little commands

GoneToTheCanner
13th June 2006, 22:54
Zulu,
Buy your own shaggin' boat and you can avail of pontoon space too! You can wear your own Skipper's hat and shout nautical phrases to your hearts content...Would the RCYC shun you for being a mere other-rank?
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
13th June 2006, 23:44
slightly off topic..its an expensive book..about 35 euro..but it dispenses with the use the search tool reply!

ZULU
14th June 2006, 00:04
Zulu,
Buy your own shaggin' boat and you can avail of pontoon space too! You can wear your own Skipper's hat and shout nautical phrases to your hearts content...Would the RCYC shun you for being a mere other-rank?
regards
GttC

No problem on Pontoon space since my family own a whole marina, working on my own boat, but I'll just have to avail of my fathers. As far as nautical phrases go, I'll use them appropriately:wink:

GoneToTheCanner
14th June 2006, 10:42
Hi all
Zulu, how about a picture of your boat then? Goldie, how about a book review of that Oxford book, then?.
regards
GttC

Goldie fish
14th June 2006, 22:25
This is not the Book review section. If you visit the store section, I think HPT already covered it.

ZULU
16th June 2006, 01:13
Hi all
Zulu, how about a picture of your boat then? Goldie, how about a book review of that Oxford book, then?.
regards
GttC

Which One? Bantry Puffin, Thalia, FIBI, Galavanter, Clea, BreakEven, Handy Mistress?

Nautical Terms and Bitching about pontoons! Classic:biggrin:

GoneToTheCanner
17th June 2006, 00:46
Right,Zulu,
Get your digital finger out and post up the lot,so. As someone whose sole boat experience has been on a Hobie Cat, I could stand some educating about small craft,etc.
regards
GttC

ZULU
18th June 2006, 01:28
Sorry about some of the pics quality, there scans of photos. Recently Sold the Bantry Puffin. Sad to see her go but she served well and practically built the marina by herself.

Thalia is in the med making money. She's a Benatteu first 45.5 that once won the round ireland race. We bought her as an insurance write off and brought her back to life for charter purposes.

Clewless, FlyingDutch Man and Breakeven are my fathers hobby. All National 18ft class. 3 crew with one on trapeze. Clewless is the new design that is currently the standard boat being raced. His current boat clea, is on loan from friends.

Trying to find good pics of galavanter. She was a westerly discus 35. Sadly a large barge took a fancy to her along side a quay wall up west and she came off the worst. Her wreck is currenlty lying in Kilmacsimon boat yard.

ZULU
18th June 2006, 01:31
My first Boat. Optimist aged 6 :biggrin: :eek:

Goldie fish
18th June 2006, 01:40
You know they invented the internal combustion engine recently. You should look into it.

ollie
18th June 2006, 01:46
My first Boat. Optimist aged 6 :biggrin: :eek:

awwwwwwwwww so cute........................why do i get an image in my head of jaws coming up behind you ??????????????????????????????????:wink:

ZULU
18th June 2006, 01:49
You know they invented the internal combustion engine recently. You should look into it.

They tend to be expensive to run and maintain. They also require less skill to helm:cool: