Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wind that shakes the Barley...

So it seems Docman is a Tan....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Originally posted by Goldie fish
    So it seems Docman is a Tan....
    Hardly a surprise. I hear they have a much more concillatory approach to Texel Wings....
    Meh.

Comment

No, not a Tan

An Auxie

Comment

My apologies.

Comment

He is an officer, of course...
          Meh.

Comment

The film opens on the 23rd of this month, ie Friday week
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Do we get in free cos we are all docmans mates?

Comment

Worth a shot. Hope he remembers us little people now that he is a big screen star!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                  Worth a shot. Hope he remembers us little people now that he is a big screen star!!!
                  Sorry, guys.... going to a screening in the States. Red carpet stuff. Won't be around to get ye into the cinemas here.

Comment

Did you get to keep the Sam Browne for the film costume Docman ??

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                      Did you get to keep the Sam Browne for the film costume Docman ??
                      or did you bring your own?
                      The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Went to it today and was mightily impressed.
                        The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                        (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

At the movie, or at docman?

Comment

Don't know Docman. What part did he have?
                            The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                            (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Having just seen the movie myself, I thought I'd share a few thoughts, while still fresh in my mind.

Historically accurate.
                              To a fault. The emotion of the time carries well into the cinema and I feel the audience will in turn hate the British for their actions, the Free staters for their actions, the Clergy for their stance.
                              But this film tells it the way it was.
                              Currently I am researching my own family history and I could draw a lot of parallels to what my grandparents went through in the period depicted in the film.
                              My grandfathers first cousin was Liam Lynch, who led the anti Treaty side up to his death shortly after that of Collins. By coincidence i understand he was responsible for the banishment of a granduncle of mine out of the country for acts detrimental to law and order in the republic of the early 1920s.

It was always told to us as a time when brother fought against brother. Not just in the civil war years, but also during the Anglo Irish war. Many irish patriots who followed redmond joined the British army, and were distrusted by their own when they returned home following the war of 1914-1918. The alienation suffered by veterans of the Vietnam is nothing to the actual alienation these men suffered. Many more were members of the RIC. Career choices at the time depended on your family circumstances. If you were lucky, the oldest son got the farm, the next son became a priest, another a doctor. The RIC was another respected profession that young men took up, only for them to be labelled as traitors in 1919. Most left en masse following intimidation. Many of those who remained made up the beginnings of an Garda Siochana.

But back to the film. the only flaw i find in it is that it fails to close the story by telling that there was a happy ending. Ireland did become a republic. The Oath of allegience was abolished. The civil war ended, and those who were left got on with the business of building the great nation in which we live today. We did not get the six counties, but would we ever have got them had the treaty been rejected?

It also fails to explain to the more impressionable audience that the Auxiliaries and the Black and tans were not real British soldiers. They were the dregs of the British military who were brought in to deal with a situation the RIC were unwilling to deal with. Most were criminals, before or after the war. Most suffered some form of PTSS which would have been labelled "shell shock" at the time and would in todays society have been labelled "mentally unstable".

But the story is well told. The actors look and sound like natives of West Cork.
                              Go to it with an open mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X