Ton Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ton Class

For anyone who served in the Irish Navy Ton Class minesweepers, this may be of interest-

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

To young to remember this, but a terrible accident.

Comment

Hms Bronington going downhill by the look of things -

Comment

Thats a hell of a lot of difference in five years.

Comment

She might be in flitters but did any one notice the absence of rust?
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            She might be in flitters but did any one notice the absence of rust?
            I'll probably regret this...

She has a wooden hull! Not much nasty mine exploding magnetic steel there!

Comment

Teak hull I think. With an aluminnium skin.

That video should have a warning that retired bosuns with a heart complaint should not be allowed view it.
              Last edited by Sluggie; 13 September 2009, 11:28.

Comment

Mahogany.
                It's amazing they were able to get away with using such a rare wood for so many ships.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

While the hull was wooden(best not to argue over the type) and sheeted with aluminium a lot of the dect fittings were phosphor bronze..making them worth a fortune in scrap , the rest of the ships were of conventional build .

The Gun mounting alone should be a rusty relic but has stood the test of time quite well. The sweep gear looks immaculate.

Apart from the unknown condition of the hull given her age she is remarably intact, ok she has been in preservation for a number of years but is in remarable condition and could be restored back to her former glory with out enormous cost.

Problem is without being The Prince of Wales former command the type were just another long serving type without any real battle honours to fall back on, so in light of this I wouldn't hold out too much hope of her surviving indefinetely which is a pity.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Around the time that historic ships collection outfit went bust, I remember reading something to the effect that a lot of her decking was needing replaced - it was becoming unsafe for visitors and would'nt have passed health and safety regulations.

Maybe old Jug Ears himself will come up with the money to restore her.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                      Around the time that historic ships collection outfit went bust, I remember reading something to the effect that a lot of her decking was needing replaced - it was becoming unsafe for visitors and would'nt have passed health and safety regulations.

Maybe old Jug Ears himself will come up with the money to restore her.
                      I don't think he particularly enjoyed his time on the tons. Seems he suffered very badly from seasickness. However some say it was his uncles and fathers insistence that he had "proper" command of a real ship, rather than a token position on a larger warship or in HQ, that put him on perhaps the smallest vessel in the fleet at the time before he left the RN in 1976.
                      He was only on Bronington for 9 months, also serving on HMS Norfolk(retired 1982, sold to Chile), HMS Minerva(scrapped 1983), HMS Jupiter(retired 1992, scrapped 1997) and as a pilot on HMS Hermes(reetired 1986 sold to India). If this is anything to go by I wouldnt hold out much hope for Bronington.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X