Fouga-Last resting place.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fouga-Last resting place.

Saw Fouga 216 today in Cork Airport,and what a sad sight it was.
    It sits with a tarpaulin over the cockpit,engine exhausts plugged,tip tanks gone,on the edge of the airport perimiter.
    It appears the aircraft was given to St Johns College in cork as an instructional airframe,on permanent loan as it were. However once the Air Corps learned that the college intended to dismantle this aircraft they withdrew their offer,and its future at the moment,while unknown,is at least remotely positive.
    It is good to see that somebody up in the Don realises the historical value of these aircraft.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I hear that it was left there as a result of some insurance liability issue. If anyone gets injured in working on it or dismantling it, Defence is liable!!!

Comment

Where exactly in the airport is it situated cause id like to go up and take a few snaps. Is it up by the terminal building?? If not can IU get some directions please
      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

The flying club.Its inside the perimeter,and its also on private property. Go past the main entrance to the airport(roundabout) and take the next right,about a mile along the kinsale road. Careful tho,the turn off is on a nasty bend. Head up this laneway past the houses and Youll see the hangar and the light aircraft parked. There is something like an AN2 there also. The club people are pretty friendly,but dont get in their way or otherwise piss them off..Remember also the proximity of private houses.
        Cork airport police are not as easy going as those found in shannon.

Its right up against the fence on the southern side of the hangar at the moment,with a nasty tarpaulin covering the cockpit.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

One in Sallins

EI-BXO Fouga Magister CM170
          FM 28
          Owner - Gerry Connolly, Co.Meath. Aircfaft stored in Saggart, Co.Kildare

Comment

Is the fouga in Sallins or Saggart , BudFox ?

Can it be seen from the road (or is it stored indoors) ?
            IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Jesus, what a crap post... that's what I get for copying & pasting.
              Will do some investigation.

EI-BXO Fouga CM-170 Magister (213) Stored Saggart, Co.Kildare
              Owner - Connolly Gerry, Co.Meath

Comment

A private one...

EI-BXO VALMET FOUGA CM.170 MAGISTER

The c/n "213" listed above is suspect as this would have been a French Air Force aircraft.
                The Finnish Air Force operated 80 Magisters, 18 of which were French built.
                FM-28 was the second Valmet assembled or built aircraft. They served with HÄvLLv 11

[Fighter Squadron 11] based at Rovaniemi and HÄvLLv 21 [Fighter Squadron 21] based at Tampere and the Ilmasotakoulu [Air Academy] at Kauhava.

This aircraft would have been delivered during 1961 and withdrawn from use 1986+-.
                Exotic Aircraft Inc., purchased 4 Valmet Magisters from the Finnish Air Force in 1987 for civilianisation and certification in the U.S.A. (as Experimental)
                These marks were reserved for Gerry Connolly during 06.88
                Painted at Wheeling, Ohio in navy blue with yellow tiptanks.

Delivered to Shannon 16.11.88 via Lockheed L.100-20 S9-NAI. Rolled out at Shannon as EI-BXO 23.11.88.

Reference: Air Pictorial March 1985 P.88 and P.106.
                In open storage at Shannon 1991. Remained in open storage until 15/04/96
                Purchased by Christy Keane, who owns a garage in Main St Saggart. He also owns three Cessna 337's (EI-AVC,EI-BHM,G-RORO.)

Trucked Shannon-Saggart, Co.Kildare 15/04/96

I think it is very unlikely to be in an airworthy condition

Comment

Thanks for that info, Bud Fox.

It would be an interesting Garage forecourt display :D
                  IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

fouga -last resting lace

13-07-03
                    Hi guys.
                    I just finished a course in FAS Shannon, in the industrial estate near the airport, and you'll be interested to know that they have Fouga 218 stored there in the second building which has something to do with either Shannon Aerospace or Lufthansa or something.
                    It's used for training the trainee aircraft mechanics and is in one piece and very good condition.
                    Yes, it's indoors and actually just about fits.
                    A mate of mine and I got some photos of it for reference for model building. I was delighted to see it.
                    Liam
                    Last edited by Guest; 13 July 2003, 23:43.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance,what is a Fouga?Could someone post a pic please.
                      Hanno:(
                      Hanno

Comment

A nice one from Franks web site

Comment

& the pic
                          Attached Files

Comment

Anyone see the pics of the passing out parade for the Israeli Air Force new pilots recently. Pretty nice shots of a fancy flypast by four Fougas trailing smoke etc over the pilots. They still operational over there in training?

Comment

Thank you Bud Fox.I did know the aircraft but not by name. I once watched some great flying by the South Viet Namese Air Force in some kind of trainers with weapons on the hard points.They made great strike aircraft.
                              Hanno
                              Hanno

Comment

Working...
                              X