Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting View of Fort Mitchel (Spike Island)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting View of Fort Mitchel (Spike Island)

Saw this while going for lunch from work

Tried to post in Gallery but Login and Registration dont like me:confused:
    Attached Files
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

where is the gallery?

Comment

Zulu, try again.

GOC top rhs of this screen.

Comment

Spike Island 1980 - 1984

Removed by Owner

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF View Post
          In 1980 the Naval Service set up its Naval Training Center on Spike Island.

Spike was quite a unique place which was steeped with history and intregue and as mentioned in another post quite a spooky place which would make you wonder what was lurking in the shadows.

The history about Spike was that in the early 19th century it made up a trio of Forts protecting Cork Harbour. It was considered at the time as the most protected harbour in the world due to the natural location of Spike Island which was central to the defensive strategy of the English.

Spike itself was also one of the last places in Ireland that convicted people were kept until they were shipped to Van Demons Land. There are some simple graves located on the island which are simply marked with a broken slate and a surname etched upon it.

I have some great memories of Spike as I spent a lot of time there over the 4 years it was used by the Naval Service. I will share some of these with you and would like others to contribute as well. Will also bring up some interesting dialogue regarding the fascinating structures the fort had as well as the appalling conditions endured by Naval Personnel as well as a Minnie Mutiny.

AlanF
          Do you recall when the duty guard watch fell a sleep
          Darkvader

Comment

My First Impressions

Removed by Owner
            Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2008, 11:20. Reason: Removed by Owner

Comment

You speak of th epoor conditions that existed there in 1980, however up to very recently the same conditions still existed in Kilworth and the Glen of Imaal.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Removed by Owner

Comment

Have to agree with AlanF. Did recruits at roughly the same time as him. Joined up at Finner and spent a few days doing paperwork there before being sent to Haulbowline. Finner had pretty good billets so the Arch billets at Haulbowline were a bit of a comedown. But Haulbowline was good in other ways. Spike was unique in that every facility, billets, showers, galley, canteen etc was primitive. Apart from the odd film show in Mitchell Hall there was nothing to distract from bulling boots. I'd been in Dunree on an FCA camp and it was much the same, but at least Dunree wasn't on an island and you left after a few weeks.

Of course a bit of hardship does no harm at that age. Remember being sent, with some other recruits, to help two civvys delivering chairs to the Officers Mess for some function. After we'd finished one of them said to me " So are you lads all prisoners then?". Looking round I could see what he meant and I can only assume he later became Minister for Justice and remembered Spike.
                  Found an old photo taken behind the billets which gives a flavour of the place

Comment

There are some wonderful Spike pics in one of the old threads ... go have a search around .,..
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Great pictures alright.

Met some very interesting people in recruits in those day, who I suspect wouldn't get in nowadays. There was a bloke in my class who had been in the Army. He'd got into some trouble there, did a few months in the digger, and had been dscharged. He then got into trouble in civvy street and ended up in St. Pats.
                      When he left there he joined the NS using his twin brothers birth certificate. He was sent to Spike for training, and as our billet was right below the detention barracks, lived in daily fear of being recognised. But as he was pretty quick with his fists he soon ended up in trouble again and on the third time was, unusually enough for a recruit, sent to the digger again. Once in there he was recognised, and despite maintaining to be his brother, they started to investigate his identity. Bizarrely enough he was allowed to pass out, but one morning he just didn't appear on divisions and was never heard from again.
                      I'd really love to know what became of him as he was a very interesting character. I hope he did well for himself.

Comment

recognise one or two of those...still serving I believe.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The First Morning

Removed by Owner

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            recognise one or two of those...still serving I believe.
                            I think eamonn kennedy is the only one left the rest are gone

Comment

Working...
                            X