ATC Transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATC Transmissions

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206":
    Speedbird 206 : "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."
    Ground : "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One Seven."
    The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
    Ground : "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"
    Speedbird 206 : "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."
    Ground (with arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?"
    Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944 but I didn't stop."

----------------------

O'Hare Approach Control: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, eastbound."
    United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this... I've got the little Fokker in sight."
    --------------------------
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Mate of mine was sitting in his car outside shannon recently,listening to the atc on his scanner,when out of nowhere,an unmarked garda walks over and asks him if he has a license to operate the scanner.I Have not heard of this before,anyone else know about such things?
    I know you need a license to transmit on VHF but surely not recieve?
    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

hmmm i may be wrong but i believe you can only tune onto those freq's for those you have a licence...so i reckon because i have a Student Pilot's Licence that i can listen to ATC on a scanner but not the police!

Anyone care to clarify?

Comment

You need a licence to listen in to any non-exempted broadcast (e.g radio stations, mobile phones, CB, etc)

So switch those scanners off.

Wireless Telegraphy Act (1926?) as amended.

Comment

so if i had an SPL and a marine VHF license,i could listen in on such things?
          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Hey YJ, are those new amendments? Can you give me a link? This was a big issue in the early 1990's when scanners hit the scene. The Garda were powerless to do anything about it, there was just some vague act about listening and using any gleaned info for nefarious purposes. Scanners could be seized on a raid but they had to be returned if the gouger made an issue of it.

Me personally, in Farel's case, I'd tell the Garda to f**k off unless he could tell me what law required me to have a license to listen to ATC. I'm sure he wouldn't have a clue. Might get me a night at the State's pleasure though.
            No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

It's completely legal to own a scanner.

It is illegal under the wireless telegraphy act to listen in on any broadcasts that are unexempted as described above.

The act is available at: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/front.html
              The Commision for Communication Regulation is: http://www.odtr.ie/

Comment

Working...
              X