• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Museum Exhibition

Date: 5-October-2006
    Time: 12:00 - 12:00

Soldiers and Chiefs: The Irish at War at Home and Abroad, 1550-2001

The National Museum of Ireland is opening a major new exhibition in October 2006 at Collins Barracks, using original artefacts, letters, and replicas and audio accounts to show how soldiering and war have affected the lives of Irish people. There are three main themes, Irish soldiers at home, Irish soldiers aboard and Irish soldiers in the 20th century, which are explored through the eyes of the average Irish soldier, and from that of civilians caught up in war and conflict here in Ireland. Our collection of military artefacts, and recent donations, including more unusual items such as the sword of one of Napoleons soldiers, playing cards taken from a pirate ship, Christmas cards and chocolate boxes from the trenches, a child's gas mask, uniforms, rifles and the flag of the Irish Republic will be on display to bring alive the military and social history of these Irish soldiers. The new 3 story purpose built exhibition space house planes and armoured vehicles leant by the Irish Defence Force and Aer Corp and are displayed with objects in our collection, to tell the tales of the men who flew, drove and serviced the vehicles in Ireland and on UN Peacekeeping duty. Bring along your family to explore the histories of the soldiers and their families in this exciting new exhibition. Admission is free of charge.

As good a reason as any to visit the pale.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Excellent and thorough display of the Irish at war, home and abroad, from pre battle of the Boyne to 20th century.

Not just a sterile display of memorabila put uses advanced exhibition techniques to put everything in context including pulling no punches on the fact that war is a cruel affair leading to devastation in communities and families. Particularly eye catching display of 20th century hardware including a Vampire hanging from ceiling and various armoured cars and artillery at ground level, stuff which will go down well with the school groups.

Bualadh bos to all concerned.

Comment

Except a certain 5 Inf Bn Sgt, pictured in yesterday's Star at the official launch of the exhibition with a twisted sling. Don't worry, John, I'm sure no-one saw it

Comment

I was there with some civvy friends, I thought it was great but there were a few little niggles. Thereally early stuff was brilliantly done but the more modern it got the more ramshackle it became eg on the war of independence slot there were signs for a pistol that had exploded but we couldnt find said pistol.and the curator said he never noticed it wasnt there . There were a couple of instances like that and then the final one that had the ughh factor - was the modern UN Soldier

why did the museum and the DF who went totsuch bother as to mount such a gerat exhibit

not just go the extra mile and shape the dummies beret

he looked like a Cadre CQ from south Kerry with that shape
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I was there a month ago. I thought it was a military museum. Until a young lady who worked there told me the military display would be opened in October . Bad timing. Nice cafe though and a very impressive site. The square must have been some place in its day.

I did one of the Cathedrals (St Patricks? on the tour bus circuit), full of memorials to the old Irish Regiments. Very interesting.
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I rang the Museum today (sat) and was told it's open on Sun 8th from 1400 to 1700hrs
              it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
              Winston churchill

Comment

"eg on the war of independendce slot - there were signs for a pistol that exploded but we couldnt find said pistol"

probably because it had exploded. not much of it left i'd say
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

probably because it had exploded. not much of it left i'd say
                  Very good- WELL done
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Dev, will definitely be paying a visit this week...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Hi all
                      historical note: my late grandfather referred to one pistol, bought for the IRA in Europe, for the War of Independence, which was a .32 Colt-Browning, made by FN, as a "Peter the Painter" and said that it had a habit of bursting the breech, due to bad ammunition. The Mauser C-96 was also referred to as the "painter" because of the shape of it's handgrip.
                      Collins Barracks is cleaner than it ever was.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Looks like a trip to the pale is on the cards.Is there much of a "modern irish soldier" display?
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Looks like a trip to the pale is on the cards.Is there much of a "modern irish soldier" display?
                          Take it handy on the oul' "duty free" on the train, then.......
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Chiefs and Leaders Exhibition

Recently the National Museum in Collins Bks Dublin opened an exhibit called chiefs and leaders, it basically covers irish military history for the past 400/500 years, i got to visit it briefly(very briefly) during the week and have to say well done to the staff at the museum on an absolutely fantastic job and i recommend everyone to go have a look, i know i'll be back, it got everythin WW1, WW"2, korea UN peacekeping, the civil war, war of independence, american civil war, its even got an Air corps Vampire suspended from the roof. If your free go have a look its quite cool even for the casual visitor , admission is free
                            But there's no danger
                            It's a professional career
                            Though it could be arranged
                            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                            If you're out of luck you're out of work
                            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

great exhibition - well worth a look.
                              Cannon to right of them,
                              Cannon to left of them,
                              Cannon in front of them