Lt Cdr Michael Burke Sm (rtd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt Cdr Michael Burke Sm (rtd)

Death of our former President Lt.Cdr.Michael Burke Retd. (President 2002)

Michael joined the Irish Naval Reserve in 1949 and rose through the ranks to Lt. Commander. Michael took over as Officer Commanding the Naval Reserve in Waterford in 1964 and retired as commanding officer in 1988. Michael born in 1931 has 4 brothers and 6 sisters. Michael had a life long interest in Flower Class Corvettes perhaps due to some of his training on the Irish Flower Class Corvettes in service from 1946 to 1972. Michael was a member of the Flower Class Corvette Association and was also Irish delegate to the Ton Class Minesweeper Association. Michael was a founder member of the Waterford Branch of the Irish Naval Association and was elected its first chairman in 1993.Michael had not enjoyed good health in recent years and passed away this morning Thursday 21st February 2008. Removal from Thompson's Funeral Home at 1915hrs to the Cathedral at Barrack Strand Street, Waterford, Friday 22nd. Burial will take place after the 1200hrs Mass to Otterans Cemetery, Cork Road. The Naval Association extends its sympathy to his Brothers and Sisters, family and friends

Passing of a true gentleman.

Honoured to have piped this man aboard a naval vessel on 16th march 1988 ..L.E. Eithne , as I had served under him in SM No.3 coy and it was an honour to be requested to do so.

Even the OC at the time had the respect to see that he was given that honour

Ar do Airm... ais Iompraighithe ... lui !

R.I.P ..Mickey
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 February 2008, 00:03.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

May he Rest In Peace.

Comment

My CO in my time in No3 coy SM

RIP Sir.

Comment

RIP

just one question "piped the man aboard"
        can you explain this
        Last edited by Goldie fish; 26 February 2008, 20:43.
        hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

Originally posted by clean it again View Post
          RIP

just one question "piped the man aboard"
          can you explain this
          The act of using a Bosuns call to render salute to a senior officer boarding a ship. Normally reserved for other ships captains only.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

just one question "piped the man aboard
            Its a twelve second salute called 'piping the side' reserved for ships captains, visiting dignatories and those deemed worthy of being piped aboard.

Its made using a 'bosuns call' which is held in the right hand with the upper part of the hand being used to vary the tone.

The Quartermater being the person who carries the call during their tour of duty.

Ships normally have a few aboard and its worn on a lenght of chain around the Quartermasters neck.

Me being the gucci poser type had my own which was stainless steel as opposed to the enameled ones the NS used. I still have it and often use it to drive the kids mad.

4 seconds normal pitch.. 4 seconds higher pitch.... back to four seconds normal pitch.

The 12 seconds approximates the time it would normally take to cross or climb a gangway.

To have piped somebody aboard a ship is the same as rendering salue as part of an honour guard and depending on the person can be deemed an honour.

In this mans case as he had been my former CO and would never normally have been entitled to the honours involved..it was my pleasure.
            Last edited by hptmurphy; 27 February 2008, 21:55.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

thanks lads for the lesson
              it must have been great to piped on your old CO

it looks like to captain of the ship had a great sense to honour the man
              it is rare to see that these days
              hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

it must have been great to piped on your old CO
                It was.

Funny the memories things like that envoke but fond memories.

I was slightly underage when I joined the SM... the CO filled out the paperwork etc in those days and it was a self procliamed slight of the hand with the pen that got me in early...just the small things like that help remind me of people like him.

Comment

I think I met him several times in later years in Mc Alpines Pub in Cheekpoint. He seem to be very dedicated to the Slua

Comment

A great man. Always full of encourgement to all young members of SM/NSR. Had many words of wisdom for me when i joined the full time Navy which i was very thankfull. This man commanded alot of respect and rightly so.

RIP
                    Last edited by Goldie fish; 4 April 2008, 09:46.
                    The British were met with their own weapons,
                    They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
                    And down after them we had to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X