• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickey Doyle RIP

Bray People
    Doyle family honoured for service to defence forces
    BAND OF BROTHERS

Wednesday February 25 2009

FEW PEOPLE can have contributed more to Ireland's defence forces than the Doyle family of Rathnew, with seven brothers serving in the Reserve Defence Forces and one in the Permanent Defence Forces.

To mark the amazing Doyle family feat, a plaque in their honour to mark a combined service of 212 years was unveiled at Cathal Brugha Barracks in Dublin.

Michael, Robert, Gerry, Colum, Patrick, Paul and Timmy have all served with C Company 62 Battalion, Meanwhile Matt Doyle has been in the Permanent Defence Forces for 42 years of service, considered by many to be a record in Ireland.

The unveiling of the plaque took place before Captain Timmy Doyle's retirement so as the remaining Doyle member of the Reserve Defence Forces, he was given the honour of unveiling the family tribute.

Unfortunately Lieutenant Michael Doyle and CQMS Gerry Doyle are both deceased, and everyone present at the ceremony took some time out to say a prayer for both men.

The Doyle family can probably blame their father Mickey for their army blood as the 84 year old was a member of the Local Defence Forces before it became the FCA and then Reserve Defence Forces.
    Mickey Doyle died on Sunday last and was buried today. Rest in Peace
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Rip

Comment

R.i.p
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

R.i.p.
        Bohs till I die

Comment

+ Rest In Peace +

Comment

Rip

Comment

R.i.p.
              Last edited by Vickers; 26 March 2009, 11:27.
              Lock and load

Comment

RIP

Hadn't realised Timmy had retired - met him a few years ago in the Glen and
                found him to be an absolute gent...
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Rip

Comment

Timmy's stand down this time last month.

Comment

R.i.p
                      What do you mean abandon ship
                      Are they taking requests?

Comment

Working...
                      X