X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest survivor Dies

War of Independence dies aged 105
    18/09/2006 - 19:12:41

A 105-year-old War of Independence veteran who served alongside Michael Collins, died today.

Lieutenant Colonel Sean Clancy, a former Commanding Officer of the Fifth Infantry Battalion, fought against British forces in the Dublin Brigade of the Volunteers from 1919 to 1921.

The Co Clare native also shared the historic moment in Dublin Castle in 1922 with Collins when Britain handed over power to the new Irish Government.

In a statement the Defence Forces said: “It is with great regret the Defence Forces mourn the death of Lieutenant Colonel Sean Clancy at the age of 105 years.

“At the time of his death Lieutenant Colonel Clancy was the oldest surviving person receiving a military service pension for his role in the War of Independence.”

Lt Col Clancy died in a Dublin nursing home.

RIP

Rip

Comment

Wasn't he one of the Guests of honour at the easter parade?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

R.i.p
        Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Rip
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Rip
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Rip
              Meh.

Comment

Thats such a pity, I wish we had heard more about him.
                RIP.
                Last edited by FMolloy; 18 September 2006, 22:12.
                Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Rest in peace.
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Darksaga View Post
                      Thats such a pitty, I wish we had heard more about him.
                      RIP.
                      I agree, i thought all of the people who fought in the war died off in the ninties.

Rip

Comment

Rip
                        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

John Duff, another veteran, only died last week at the age of 103.
                          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

R. I. P. to both
                            Last edited by FMolloy; 19 September 2006, 02:09.
                            The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
                            They were wrong.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Working...
                              X